This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[RELEASED] [UT] Gothic Resurrection Special Edition

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: [RELEASED] [UT] Gothic Resurrection Special Edition

Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013, 01:19

Got bored and decided to mess around with this a bit. Mods please move if it's not in the right place - I still get project presentation and upcoming maps confused.

Changes from Gothic Resurrection:

- Improved difficulty filtering
- Architectural improvements
- Better balanced inventory placement
- Slight changes in dynamic ambient sounds
- Higher detailed lighting and shadows
- Gameplay enhancements (mainly doors)
- Better balanced enemy placement, less attribute editing
- Slight changes to translator messages
- Small texture improvements (usage and alignment)

Hopefully I've included all the necessary files this time, but let me know otherwise. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8f35c474p4dr1no
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Delacroix

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] [UT] Gothic Resurrection Special Edition

Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013, 01:52

GothicResurrectionSE.zip - Dropbox Mirror by myself.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013, 04:34

Delacroix wrote:GothicResurrectionSE.zip - Dropbox Mirror by myself.

I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013, 02:15

It's nice to see you made a new version of this. It's still one of the most memorable SP maps for me. :tup:

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013, 17:27

Sounds cool! Never played the original, so I might give this one a spin :D
SZ

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013, 19:37

Must be nice to actually finish a work so that you can go back to it and polish it! I wish I ever got to that kind of stage with my projects. :P

Very nice! I think I will take this opportunity and finally play this in an hour or so.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013, 01:11

Yeah this is top of the stack of unreal things to do. Loved the original and can't wait to revisit
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013, 19:38

That was a fun and interesting experience. Great architecture, interesting layout that made good use of the Z-axis; subtle and atmospheric lighting (some very nice shadows in there :)); and well balanced gameplay. The use of Wargate was very well chosen in my opinion as it helped carry across the dark, night-time feeling very well, and also gave a sense of foreboding...
However- the only problem I noticed was the fact that when I got to the Behemoth, the door between him and me would not open at all. Not before I killed him and not after. Did I miss something, or is this a genuine bug?
Overall, a genuinely enjoyable experience- just a shame that there is no continuation from where it finishes :/
SZ

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013, 21:59

He should blow up the door as a scripted event. I haven't run into that issue before, but I suppose it's possible that if you're able to kill him before he blows open the door (seems unlikely) then maybe it wouldn't open. See if you're able to replicate that bug and I'll have a look. Glad you liked it.

A sequel (or prequel) is still planned, but I haven't started it yet....hopefully soon.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013, 22:05

hmmm... him and me had a little fight from either side of the door before I killed him. I'll have another go though and see if it happens again ;)

[[EDIT]]
Aha, it worked this time, I just started fighting him too early before he had the chance to commence his event last time.

SZ

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013, 14:46

Yeah played this one, I loved the original version back (though I did play that one with the Limbo mutator and goddamn it was hellish). Touched the special edition on vanilla Unreal difficulty, everything did flow well and didn't die once. Still great.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013, 19:48

So, DD made this map a while back. I had criticisms but I generally liked it and enjoyed the gameplay. I wrote a review. Some might feel the initial review was overly negative, but I meant it when I said I had fun in the level and if the review sounded harsh it was simply because the map was held back by things I felt the author was more than skilled enough to fix. And so here we have Gothic Resurrection SE, promoted by the author as an improved version of the previous release. Of course I was curious.

I remember being very vocal of the things that could have been done better when I penned the review on USP, and my first impression of the new edition showed me that some of those things were still amiss. Balance between clever scripted sequences and half-baked ones still pop up. For example, opening the first door you see two Skaarj Warriors kneeling by a human female. What is supposed to happen is that the player should walk through the archway and the two Skaarj are supposed to spook, slay the woman, and flee into the level. But I've played a few Unreal levels in my time, and few more shooters in general, so what I did was stand in the doorway and got to taking potshots at the two Skaarj, winging one and immediatly triggering their flee sequence. With them gone, I stepped forward and the human female hilariously exploded into gibs with a shrill scream. Not long after, I walked up a staircase and triggered fight music, but instead of continuing up the staircase I thought better of it and stepped back down into the courtyard, where I could see the ambushing Skaarj pacing the balcony, confused to where his target had gone. A few potshots later, he jumped down and we engaged normally.

To balance this, there are some remarkably well crafted scripted events like a perfectly choreographed skirmish between a soldier and a Skaarj Berserker that segues nicely into a tough encounter. Later in the level two Skaarj scouts came at me from a location I did not expect. So, I know the skill to cultivate these scenes are there. I just can't understand why two released versions later, these two early sequences are still so rocky.

In any case, the rest of the level is still quite good and although I did not notice the glaring changes to justify a second version it is still a good single release that can offer some entertaining gameplay. The layout of the level is well thought out and while it isn't a long venture, it interconnects nicely and provides plenty of hidden areas. Using keys as a gameplay mechanic can fill players with dread, but they are done well here and lend nicely to the theme. There are several instances of genuine ambush surprises and while most of the enemies coming at you are Skaarj family foes there is no way to be bored in here.

Overall, I didn't experience anything in this version that overrides what I felt and said in the main site review. The doors work better now but I didn't notice this until I read the list of changes after I played the level; these are things that should always work, and if they do and I don't notice them than kudos for doing your job.

PS - Still love the pupae swarms that appear in this level. Make sure you run to a staircase players!