ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Question regarding Unrealsp.orgs new site

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: Question regarding Unrealsp.orgs new site

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017, 14:11

It's "relatively" big given the fact it's pretty old.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017, 14:35

Unreal has 7 people playing online, which is almost as many people as LawBreakers' current population of 11 people. Not too shabby! :P
But really, other games like Half-Life and Doom are discussed far more than Unreal is today.

I think the community as a whole would be in much better shape had one of the big projects been released around 2012 at the latest. The game and mod would have gotten some outside attention, there would have been more people to talk about the release, and maybe others would have been inspired to work on projects of their own.

Regardless, this community has lasted for a pretty long time, and I'll always be thankful for it.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017, 19:28

UBerserker wrote:
Perhaps you may have played the pre-227 Firestorm, from what I got told constantly it was pretty much complete and somehow better than what it is now (subjectivity). The 227 jump then happened and caused all kinds of delays on top of the mappack now not anymore available for UT (economically that's a pretty bad turn of events - I wouldn't even be able get the UT devs to popularize the release, when it gets out, on twitter cause it runs on Unreal1 and on an unofficial patch).

Well when I played it there were some glitchy things here and there, but nothing major. Nothing that couldn't be ironed out by one or two people over a couple of months, maybe less...so long as no new stuff was being made. There was no real last level but there were several late campaign moments with epic battle sequences that each were on par with or better than any climax in anything released for Unreal at the time. I remember saying that the campaign could have had an abrupt ending at the point at which I stopped and still have had a way more satisfying ending than ONP or RTNP.

I wasn't a part of the project by the time the 227 conversion was being done.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017, 21:42

UBerserker wrote:...
Lol not even close, please. Neither UT1 is that big anymore. There are many 20+ years old games that get attention even today by media or events, and Unreal isn't one of them.

True, but that doesn't imply that this community has to die. There are still releases to hope for (RYS, Xenome part 3, and a couple of other I can't remember offhand).
OK, it' easy for me to say, I only play Unreal and a couple of less time-consuming small games.

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 03:09

Mister_Prophet wrote:
UBerserker wrote:
Perhaps you may have played the pre-227 Firestorm, from what I got told constantly it was pretty much complete and somehow better than what it is now (subjectivity). The 227 jump then happened and caused all kinds of delays on top of the mappack now not anymore available for UT (economically that's a pretty bad turn of events - I wouldn't even be able get the UT devs to popularize the release, when it gets out, on twitter cause it runs on Unreal1 and on an unofficial patch).

Well when I played it there were some glitchy things here and there, but nothing major. Nothing that couldn't be ironed out by one or two people over a couple of months, maybe less...so long as no new stuff was being made. There was no real last level but there were several late campaign moments with epic battle sequences that each were on par with or better than any climax in anything released for Unreal at the time. I remember saying that the campaign could have had an abrupt ending at the point at which I stopped and still have had a way more satisfying ending than ONP or RTNP.

I wasn't a part of the project by the time the 227 conversion was being done.

Why was the 227 conversion needed?
M'nali

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 04:37

That's a question for Turboman really. I had made my contributions to his project by that point and moved on just before he dived into that stuff.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 09:09

ividyon wrote:...
So, the plans are to create a separate "main site" using Drupal, which has some progress done already, but is being held up by the fact that I'm chronically drained of sleep and prefer to play games & unwind in the free time that I have. The forums will remain a separate entity running on an upgraded version of phpBB3, which will sadly mean losing the custom styling & features and reverting to a more "default" look, which will take the community some getting used to. A more customized, stylized USP look for the forums will follow up after.

I think it's a good decision to separate the forums from the legacy site.
Would it be possible to use the main site as a CMS and just plug in phpBB3.2.
About the "default look" ...There haven't been many extra styles released yet but there are a couple which could perhaps be adapted to the USPorg style (e.g. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/acidtech/). (I'm not volunteering, I have a serious time management problem allready)

Previous