Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

The Clock is Ticking - new management needed

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 13:15

I could always help with webmastering, but sadly my family and I have our own financial crisis which makes taking over the site costs quite impossible. :(

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 13:18

sana wrote:I could always help with webmastering, but sadly my family and I have our own financial crisis which makes taking over the site costs quite impossible. :(

Seriously, if nobody can afford the cost - why not consider a good free host? (I'll try to look up one I used and post it later today).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 13:57

By the sounds of it, the forum shouldn't be a problem, as Raven has volunteered to take responsibility for that. The database only contains the forum and I haven't altered the database fields.

No, what's needed is for us to work out who will be in charge of the day-to-day running of the site and who will provide the hosting (Proph, zyn and Raven have already contributed ideas on the latter point... keep e'm coming).
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 14:27

Hellscrag wrote:No, what's needed is for us to work out who will be in charge of the day-to-day running of the site

Does this mean adding news to the main page and formatting peoples reviews for the review section and adding scores and headers to the main review page? I would able to help in those areas as managing the .html documents for the site. People could just PM me their reviews and possibly news for the main site and I could format it properly and upload it (every day of the week if needed). I guess those people who PM should probably verify their work with either you or sana first though before sending it to me. I figure the amount of work to do those things (formatting) is minimal work and worth the effort :tup:.

Of course, there would have to be a certain amount of trust between me and the site admins to make sure everything is formatted correctly. I'm sure I could upkeep the current formatting system just fine though.
Last edited by jackrabbit on 16 Apr 2010, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 14:35

jackrabbit wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:No, what's needed is for us to work out who will be in charge of the day-to-day running of the site

Does this mean adding news to the main page and formatting peoples reviews for the review section and adding scores and headers to the main review page? I would able to help in those areas as managing the .html documents for the site. People could just PM me their reviews and possibly news for the main site and I could format it properly and upload it (every day of the week if needed). I guess those people who PM should probably verify their work with either you or sana first though before sending it to me.

Apart from the news page, which is generated by the forum now, that's the day-to-day running of the site in a nutshell. However, from time to time there are much larger bits of work to be done, for example if the decision is made to totally redesign the way the site appears, or if someone sends in a huge amount of new material (like UB's beta descriptions, which he's finished now but I'm not up to date with).

Don't factor me into the equation - I'll be gone.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 14:38

Hellscrag wrote:
jackrabbit wrote:

Does this mean adding news to the main page and formatting peoples reviews for the review section and adding scores and headers to the main review page? I would able to help in those areas as managing the .html documents for the site. People could just PM me their reviews and possibly news for the main site and I could format it properly and upload it (every day of the week if needed). I guess those people who PM should probably verify their work with either you or sana first though before sending it to me.

Don't factor me into the equation - I'll be gone.

Well I guess Sana would be the supreme ruler of the site when you are gone? I'm thinking that people could PM or email their reviews or possible site/project updates to him and then sana could forward them to me and I would do all the formatting work the day of. I really have no problem taking that responsibility. I wouldn't feel right to judge peoples reviews to say if they are "good enough" to be on the site. Someone like sana or prophet or even uberserker would have to do that part because I'm simply not experienced enough to proof-read stuff like that.

Hellscrag wrote:Apart from the news page, which is generated by the forum now, that's the day-to-day running of the site in a nutshell. However, from time to time there are much larger bits of work to be done, for example if the decision is made to totally redesign the way the site appears, or if someone sends in a huge amount of new material (like UB's beta descriptions, which he's finished now but I'm not up to date with).

I had the feeling Raven would be in charge of most of that. (Didn't he update the current version of the site with the new news-integration) ? I would be able to talk with Raven and help him integrate new features for the site though (although actually writing the source python scripts would be more or less a challenge for me)
Last edited by jackrabbit on 16 Apr 2010, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 14:44

Volunteers so far (this doesn't commit anybody yet):

Funding - Mister Prophet
Technical Stuff - Raven, salsaSkaarj (phpBB3 support)
Webmastering - sana, jackrabbit

Keep the offers coming... whoever does take over will have to agree who's in charge, who's on the team and where the responsibilities lie.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 15:00

Worst case scenario I can see happening is that we can't port the current database over to phpBB3, so we have another archive hosted in phpBB2 and locked, and then we have a live forum in phpBB3. But if Raven doesn't think it's a problem, I doubt it will be! There's plenty of time to do simulated tests offline as he mentioned.

I do hope you'll stop by from time to time Scrag. It would be a shame if you never made any appearances, though if you're super busy, it would certainly be understandable.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 15:03

Waffnuffly wrote:I do hope you'll stop by from time to time Scrag. It would be a shame if you never made any appearances, though if you're super busy, it would certainly be understandable.

I think I prefer the idea of making a clean break of it, but I might pop in occasionally to comment on major SP releases. If I get to play them.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 15:07

From what I've read phpbb3 installation offers conversion of current phpbb2 db to phpbb3 one. Should be no data loss, etc. But I'd do it on localhost either way - just to be sure there will be no data-loss :).
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 15:13

Raven wrote:From what I've read phpbb3 installation offers conversion of current phpbb2 db to phpbb3 one. Should be no data loss, etc. But I'd do it on localhost either way - just to be sure there will be no data-loss :).

Cool. :tup:

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 15:44

Raven wrote:From what I've read phpbb3 installation offers conversion of current phpbb2 db to phpbb3 one. Should be no data loss, etc. But I'd do it on localhost either way - just to be sure there will be no data-loss :).

99,99% guarantee there will be no data loss (although all html input in posts will be converted to plain text. phpBB3 by default doesn't allow the use of html in posts)
But you really have to experiment a bit on localhost to find the correct database collation, you will also have to set the founder and the initial admin. Nothing you won't be able to solve within 5 minutes. But, as I said, the permission system takes some getting used to - always work with group permissions, never use user permissions because the permission settings are YES, NO or NEVER for each permission type, for each group, for each forum. (and if you want to change something later, you wouldn't want to change a setting for all individual users, trust me - a modification I had made for phpbb2 caused a problem when upgrading and wrongly set user permissions (which I only noticed a lot later) find out how to correct it with a script instead of changing settings manually for every user.
Also any changes you would have to make in code or template, document them for yourself so that upgrading to a next version is simple (can be automatic once you know the automatic modification systems).

I strongly suggest you play around with phpBB3 on localhost (especially with the templating system) for a couple of weeks (even try it online - use a free host for that) so that a selected few can test for you with the permission system) before going online for real.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 16:38

Waffnuffly wrote:I do hope you'll stop by from time to time Scrag. It would be a shame if you never made any appearances, though if you're super busy, it would certainly be understandable.

Agree with Waff here. I unfortunately can't volunteer either.. have hardly any time nowadays.. even my postcount keeps dropping (not a biggie, I know)...

I'm sure Raven and Salsaskaarj will work out the phpbb3 thing. From my experience on the web, converting shouldn't be hard, but yeah, keep an eye on the permission system.
As for 'free hosting'.. watch out with that. Nothing comes for free in this world anymore; free hosting most likely would come with advertisements. And I'm sure Zynthetic has looked into that stuff.. (unrealspvault anyone?)

As for who would pull the cart.. that's the question. Best thing would be to go with a 'team' of a few persons, so it won't be on just 1 person. Just in case that person would 'leave' suddenly (for whatever reason)...

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 16:45

Darkon wrote:As for who would pull the cart.. that's the question. Best thing would be to go with a 'team' of a few persons, so it won't be on just 1 person. Just in case that person would 'leave' suddenly (for whatever reason)...

Agreed. Since I've been running this site, more regular posters have "disappeared" without a word than I would care to count. It happens all the time.

That's why we've had trustee members - a select group of users who have access to the site FTP to secure the site content in case it should ever happen to me.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 17:12

Like I said - I can take care of technical/programming side (basically everything when it comes to SQL/PHP/JS).
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

Previous Next