Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Notification mails

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: ividyon, Semfry, zYnthetic

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1798
Joined: 21 Apr 2009, 21:54
Location: on the prowl

Subject: Re: Notification mails

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010, 23:35

Diehard wrote:If i am disconnected and a reply is made, than the forum will sent a notification. And seeing the fact i dont receive a notification, than the only thing i can think of is that the forum does not see me leave for whatever reason. And not even when i manually log out. And therefore it doesnt sent me a notification, because "i am still there"

That is actually not correct.
Notifications are sent if you request a notification for a new post made after yours. You should receive notification whether you are still reading the topic, the forum, logged in or not. The action which triggers the notification is someone else's post. In other words, the moment that post is submitted, the code provides the headers which are included in the template( can be checked), which in turn goes to the mail function (can be checked), which then sends (can be checked) ... but what happens next depends on your e-mail address.

User avatar Diehard
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Posts: 90
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 20:37
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Subject: Re: Notification mails

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010, 00:56

And as said, i used 4 completelly different mailservers. So its unlikelly that all 4 different mailserver screew up. I mean thats like a zilllion, quadra million, zillion to one chance. And i receive notifications on any post i make on any forum. Let alone, tons of mails come in due to my projects and websites. And no matter what mail adress it comes in(i got 11 active mail adresses) it all arives just fine.

So only this particular forum it gpes bad. In my opinium its impossible that its due to some mail error on "my end" And to me it must be something here, that happens to me for whatever reason. And it also doesn matter if i create another account, than it still wont work.

So its either my computer itself that has some sort of bad connection to the forums, or its the forums itself that doesnt see me properly. But i still do suspect that somehow the forum simply doesnt see i am leaving. And since i am not leaving the forum doesnt see the point sending me a notification, as "i am still there"

Therorectically of course, as i cant tell for sure.
.
.
.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder
Posts: 3974
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 19:14
Location: In a random access memory of dreams

Subject: Re: Notification mails

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010, 19:22

Well, the forum doesn't think you're online now... do you have custom browser security / privacy settings?
Image
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1798
Joined: 21 Apr 2009, 21:54
Location: on the prowl

Subject: Re: Notification mails

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010, 23:24

Hellscrag wrote:Well, the forum doesn't think you're online now... do you have custom browser security / privacy settings?

I take it that Diehard was online when you wrote that, yet the forum didn't show Diehard as online then? But that is why I mentioned trying out various browsers (I have different security settings depending on the browser ... and on the site I visit ... and that can influence matters, especially if javascript is blocked, although again, in the case of phpBB3) this doesn't influence notification (this may change with 3.1 and most certainly with 4 when the event system will be used).

But online or not, it doesn't change the fact that notification mails are not influenced by the login status. (unless sana did some serious modification which I doubt).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder
Posts: 3974
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 19:14
Location: In a random access memory of dreams

Subject: Re: Notification mails

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010, 23:33

salsaSkaarj wrote:I take it that Diehard was online when you wrote that, yet the forum didn't show Diehard as online then? But that is why I mentioned trying out various browsers (I have different security settings depending on the browser ... and on the site I visit ... and that can influence matters, especially if javascript is blocked, although again, in the case of phpBB3) this doesn't influence notification (this may change with 3.1 and most certainly with 4 when the event system will be used).

But online or not, it doesn't change the fact that notification mails are not influenced by the login status. (unless sana did some serious modification which I doubt).


No, sorry, I was referring to the fact that the forum does recognise that he goes offline sometimes. However if, as you say, notification e-mails are not influenced by login status, then it is indeed irrelevant. :P
Image

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E
Posts: 4132
Joined: 15 Dec 2007, 00:46

Subject: Re: Notification mails

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010, 23:40

Hellscrag wrote:No, sorry, I was referring to the fact that the forum does recognise that he goes offline sometimes. However if, as you say, notification e-mails are not influenced by login status, then it is indeed irrelevant. :P


Yeah I wake up and get notification mails from threads quite often; it definitely doesnt require you to be on or offline (else it would be pointless).
Image

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder
Posts: 3974
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 19:14
Location: In a random access memory of dreams

Subject: Re: Notification mails

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010, 23:54

Waffnuffly wrote:Yeah I wake up and get notification mails from threads quite often; it definitely doesnt require you to be on or offline (else it would be pointless).


Yeah... I guess I could have figured that out if I'd engaged my brain. :B
Image

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator
Posts: 2287
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 14:43
Location: Germany
Contact:

Subject: Re: Notification mails

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010, 17:31

I registered a new account at Google Mail that is now used by the forum to send it's e-mails. Everyone, please make sure notification mails etc. still work. Registration has been confirmed to work just fine by several testers, but there might still be complications. You can now contact me about USP-related concerns at sanaUSP@gmail.com .

Additionally, the seemingly useless Captcha module in the registration has been replaced by two easily answered questions. Those should weed out the bots more effectively AND painlessly than the captcha verification.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

ImageImage

User avatar Diehard
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Posts: 90
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 20:37
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Subject: Re: Notification mails

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010, 00:30

Last week i changed my mail adress to my new gmail account and there i do receive email notifications. And yeah i did receive the notification from the SP gmail account, so on my end its working

Just there i changed my gmail adress to my normal adress to see if that functions now. Curious if it works, so anyone feel free to make a reply here for testing.
.
.
.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator
Posts: 2287
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 14:43
Location: Germany
Contact:

Subject: Re: Notification mails

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010, 11:40

Test!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

ImageImage

User avatar Diehard
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Posts: 90
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 20:37
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Subject: Re: Notification mails

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010, 22:20

Yep, i am receiving notification mails on my normal accounts again. So that problem seems to be solved by using another mailserver host on The UnrealSP org end. That still would suggest that there are several ISP 's that have must have blocked the old account(e.g. domain), Otherwise i have no explanation.


Why did you change the mailserver anyway, was this due to my problems or were there others having similar problems?
.
.
.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator
Posts: 2287
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 14:43
Location: Germany
Contact:

Subject: Re: Notification mails

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010, 22:56

link
The fact that people weren't even able to register at the forums alarmed me. I should've thought of this workaround earlier, but it didn't occur to me until now...
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

ImageImage

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest