Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

Notification mails

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Diehard
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: Notification mails

Post Posted: 29 May 2010, 18:14

Ok thats weird, the new account doesnt get notification mails either. And it cant be the mail adresses, i mean i tried 3 different adresses that all have complete different mailservers. So even if one is blocked by the ISP, its unlikelly its also blocks by another.

Thats is unless the board reacts on my IP and concludes that the IP is present and wont sent mail because of it.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 29 May 2010, 18:30

I checked your settings in the admin control panel, and everything that could somehow be related to sending mails to you is checked flawlessly. I am at a loss for words. :B
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 29 May 2010, 18:35

sana wrote:I checked your settings in the admin control panel, and everything that could somehow be related to sending mails to you is checked flawlessly. I am at a loss for words. :B

I assume you're not getting any bouncebacks of automated notifications?
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 29 May 2010, 18:40

Just a testpost to see if I receive a notification mail.

I'll also send a PM to myself.

added: notification mail received immediately.
Last edited by salsaSkaarj on 29 May 2010, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 29 May 2010, 18:41

Everything peachy here. :shake:

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 29 May 2010, 18:46

@ sana.

You are now using SMPT, how about setting mail to sendmail for a short time just to see whether it then works for Diehard?

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 29 May 2010, 19:02

For now I'm using the PHP e-mail function instead of SMTP; Scrag (or, later, Prophet) as domain owners will have to look into sending e-mails from the web host's included mail system. However I changed a few settings in the ACP which may have fixed this problem... please tell me if it works now!

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 29 May 2010, 20:14

sana wrote:For now I'm using the PHP e-mail function instead of SMTP; Scrag (or, later, Prophet) as domain owners will have to look into sending e-mails from the web host's included mail system. However I changed a few settings in the ACP which may have fixed this problem... please tell me if it works now!

Received both the notification mail and the test mail.
I had a look at the headers and see nothing wrong there (I get the impression you changed the default phpBB3 headers but nothing which should influence the mail behaviour).

User avatar Diehard

Post Posted: 29 May 2010, 23:37

Nope, i am getting nothing on both accounts. I am pretty clueless how that is possible, unless all 3 providers block gmail. On itself its possible, because gmail is the most abused mailserver in the world. That used to be the .ru mailservers, but since about 2 years almost 90% of the spam worldwide goes through gmail.

And you checked my account, and like me, i dont see anything wrong there. And at the very top of the thread it says unscribe topic, so the forum does know i have a subscription. And on my end at home, the mail addresses i used they all work properly as i receive mails on daily bases on all accounts.

So whats left is, either gmail is really blocked by all 3 providers due to spam, or the forum doesnt see i leave the forums. The last would mean i dont get a notification, because i am "still there". And if its gmail causing it, than the only solution is to use a non gmail account for the forum itself.

And i immediatelly agree that its odd, that accidentelly all 3 host block gmail, on the other hand, it is something i already predicted about a year and a half ago, that most providers will start block as what happened to the .ru accounts. And the spammers simply moved to gmail, and its just a matter of time till all provers block it. Though unlikelly all 3 providers may have it blocked, seeing what happened to the .ru accouns, its not impossible, and very likelly from one point of view.

And to point that out, ,ru accounts are still blokked by at least one provider i have, as i got this mail from a Russian Unrealer the other day:
host celticwarriors.net[206.67.234.132] said:
550-"JunkMail rejected - forward2.mail.yandex.net [77.88.46.7] is in an
RBL, 550 see Your IP is in ru, rejected based on geographical location" (in
reply to RCPT TO command)

And the Celtic Warriors server is run through TNN which is colocated by GoDaddy, and thats pretty much the biggest host in the world.

So its not that unlikelly if gmail is blocked, in that case you could test by using a different mailserver.

I also need to say, this problem is recent. I posted lots of times before on these forums(using the email account i always use for forums) and i always got my notification mails. And since i never changed any settings, someting must have happened on the forums that it now doesnt work.

It could also be that the forum itself is blocking or excluding certain IP's, or its the the gmail account causing the problem. If you dont have a secondary mailserver, i could provide the one from UnrealTexture to see if that works.

Either that or the forum really doesnt like me and is being a racist lol. :P
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 30 May 2010, 00:50

Probably superfluous but you never know.

Have you tried adding the forum´s e-mail address to the safe list. There are a couple of characteristics entries in the headers it´s even very easy to filter those mails.
Gmail has been known to cause some problems (although not on all forums and not on my board), hotmail and live addresses are a pain (although mine doesn't cause a problem here).

If you want to try some other (free) providers. try www dot fastemailer dot com, www dot muchomail dot com, www dot mail com , www dot yahoo dot com or operamail dot com, jeez there are so many which allow e-mail forwarding).

Since nobody else has complained about not receiving the notification mails, I can't imagine the board itself being the cause of the problem.

Just sprung to my mind because of something you mentioned : many servers block traffic from certain countries (based on IP). Try using a mailprovider whose headers are stripped of identifiers (e.g. fastemailer).

User avatar Diehard

Post Posted: 30 May 2010, 01:26

Well, the mail from the forum is being sent to the mail adress i use, and that mailserver simply sent out the mail to me(Outlook). All mail adresses i use do work, so on my end all is fine. And as said, i already tried 3 different mail server that are located on 3 entirlely seperated providers and even in different countries. I think its pointless to try another (free or not) host.

And what you said can also be said vice versa. All my email accounts are functional, My Outlook is functional, i always check the spambox. I am registered at hundreds of forums, and i receive notifications from all of them. Previously i also received notifcations from this forum. And since i didnt change anything on my end, nor did i change forum settings here(except last days for testing), all apears to be ok on my end. And i have any mail account whiitelisted, i simply dont block anything, because of my projects and websites, i get to many important mails.

So the common numinator is this forum, and not my mail addresses or settings. So whats left is, its either all 3 hosts of mine block gmail(out of my control), or theres something on this forum blocking my accounts.

And in any case, if my providers block gmail, than its not a good idea to switch to another provider for my mail. I mean is gmail is blocked, than the second largest provider in my country is blocking it, the largest website host from the US and (likely one of the largest in the world) is blocking it. If that is the case than its likelly that a couple a hundred millon users are blocked. And if those providers block it, than other may have as well.

And i am not saying this is the case, its just therory. But for me personally, it pretty much was already a fact 1.5 years ago that this was likelly to happen in the near future. and i know that almost any provider in the world did block .ru and this was a reaction the enourmous amount of spam bots operating from .ru accounts. And today the same thing is happening with gmail. SO from that point its expected that gmail will go the route as .ru already did.

And in the last 2 years, on my own forums and others i know, 99.99% of all spambots come from gmail. The remaining are a few other .info accounts. So at best, gmail might be a bad option as mainaccount for the forum itself.

And again, i want to emphesise this is theory on my part. But the plain fact remains, that ALL my email accounts are functional, and receive mail from all over the world, from any forum i am signed up. So either gmail is blocked, or something on this forum itself is blocking something. So choosing an alternate forum mainaccount could be interesting to test. If it solves the issue, than gmail is likelly widelly blocked. If the issue persists, than its some setting, ban, or block in place on the forum itself.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar Diehard

Post Posted: 30 May 2010, 01:55

I got the idea to create a gmail account myself so i could test it. And if i sent mail from my gmail account, it arives on all 3 mailservers. Means gmail isnt blocked on any of them. I also added the gmail adress to my test account here, to see if it now does replay to this post.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 30 May 2010, 01:57

Since you didn't receive the mails from the [email protected] address, before the change happened, I doubt this has to do with gmail either way. :o

User avatar Diehard

Post Posted: 30 May 2010, 02:13

Yeah, as in my last post i agree on that its not the issue. But i used the gmail adress on my DiehardAsWell account and its not receiving a notification on your post.

So regardless what i do, nothing is being sent out. And creating another account doesnt solve it either. Because i have now 2 accounts that neither receives notifications. Thats just fucked up weird.

So i guess my next question is, could someone else create a brandnew forum account and see if that acount recieves notifications?
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar Diehard

Post Posted: 30 May 2010, 02:17

Oh and please use bullshit login details you never use, so you can turn it over to me, so i can test after you.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

Previous Next