Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Feature Suggestion: file archive

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar NicolasEymerich
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Feature Suggestion: file archive

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010, 16:11

I think that this site misses one feature that would be really helpful to any mapper around: an archive section where textures, plugins, features, codes and other things can be looked for and downloaded... don't you think?
Let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. According to this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: Feature Suggestion: file archive

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010, 16:17

No doubt useful, but the problem is expense and maintenance. Who will host it, how will they host it, and how much will it cost / how much is the host willing/able to spend on it? Space, bandwidth, and other technical requirements have to be considered too.

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010, 16:22

Heh... I know. I'm not that an expert on file sharing sites so I don't really know how many of them - if any - are reliable, but I honestly counted them as the most viable option...
Let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. According to this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010, 16:23

This could be maintained via a forum thread which contains links to those files, uploaded to file-sharing sites. But we cannot upload them to our own webspace, due to the issue of bandwidth limits - you'd have to refer to BeyondUnreal for that.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010, 16:27

That may be enough... it's just to have the possibility to search for useful files and so on... files like texalign, a good amount of textures, particles, tutorials, meshes, et cetera...

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010, 16:33

Maybe we could pile a bunch of useful utils into a torrent and keep that seeded by anyone willing to leave their connection open 24 hours? The beauty of a torrent is that you can download individual files from the directory, too, so people could hop on, get what they need, and drop off if necessary rather than download gigs of stuff. The hard part would be deciding what goes into it and setting up the initial share on someone's machine.

Sarevok
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010, 04:14

The UT forums on BUF have some pretty good stickied threads. I'm sure the same thing could be done here with links to the files.