Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Site funding

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: Site funding

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010, 21:15

Hi all

I'm keen to progress the handover of the unrealsp.org domain and site funding to other members of the community before my life gets any busier than it already is.

What's needed is for somebody to take responsibility for keeping the unrealsp.org domain registered and hosting paid for. That person can then either pay for the site themselves, as I do now, or pass on the responsibility of funding the site to the community via a PayPal donation system or similar arrangement.

Once the handover is completed I will, as planned, say my goodbyes to the community. My life isn't in the gaming world any more - all good things must come to an end.

Cheers
Scrag
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: Site funding

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010, 22:59

Hellscrag wrote:...
Once the handover is completed I will, as planned, say my goodbyes to the community. My life isn't in the gaming world any more - all good things must come to an end.

hmm, this sounds like a final goodbye.
Just in case you truly disappear, I'ld like to express my thanks for setting up unrealsp.org which has increased the pleasure (not to forget through its members also) I get from Unreal and all the maps. And also a sincere thanks for giving sana and team the opportunity to keep this alive.

I trust you will stop by and lurk now and then, but whatever course you take: Good luck :tup: and Haboudee (that's Nali for God Speed).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010, 23:13

Cheers salsa. But as I mentioned before, I'd prefer that anyone wishing to thank me - it's not really necessary - save their thanks for when I actually do leave. I'll do a proper goodbye thread then. :)

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010, 00:09

Can you give the approximate site funding cost, either here or via pm? I just got back into mapping after a ten year hiatus, and I hate to see the site go away.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010, 00:10

I think it's 10$/€ per month.
ImageImage

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010, 00:45

Seems like it should be easy enough to come up with that amongst the "regulars". I'm willing to pony up some $$, but I don't quite have the time to be the site admin or anything. Is sana still going to be the admin?
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010, 16:40

Hellscrag wrote:Once the handover is completed I will, as planned, say my goodbyes to the community. My life isn't in the gaming world any more - all good things must come to an end.

If it isn't in the gaming world.. then where is it? :)
Just curious...
As for me I hardly play games anymore either, but I just come in to read a few messages and give some comments here and there. Will your goodbye be a final one?
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010, 19:15

sana would still be the site admin. UB is right about the cost, except that it's £ of course.

Darkon: It's all sorts of Real Life stuff. Among other things, I'm still helping the community, but now it's the real community in which I live, rather than a virtual community.

EDIT: And yes, it will to all intents and purposes be a final goodbye.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010, 23:46

Not wanting to labour the point unduly when it's only been two days since I first posted, but if I can't find a volunteer then the site WILL have to close down. I'm afraid I can't accept the responsibility of keeping UnrealSP.Org funded and administering the web hosting much beyond 2010. Even the small responsibility I still have for the site now is beyond what I am reasonably prepared to carry at this point in time: should there be a problem, it would be a very unwelcome hassle for me to have to fix it - so I'm clearly no longer the right person for the job.

Having said that, please make sure that you're confident of your ability to live up to that responsibility before you step forward.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010, 23:17

The best way to guarantee you'll be back is to announce you are leaving :wink:
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010, 23:31

UBerserker wrote:I think it's 10$/€ per month.

I think there are cheaper solutions (even free ones). I've seen hosts for 4.99$ per month with assets way beyond what Unrealsp.org needs.
The thing is that the current admin/mod team has to step forward and decide which road they are going to take and either pay for hosting (and domain name) themselves or request donations.

The sooner this is settled, the sooner Hellscrag can cut himself loose from Unrealsp.org (which is clearly what he wants).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010, 23:34

salsaSkaarj wrote:The thing is that the current admin/mod team has to step forward and decide which road they are going to take and either pay for hosting (and domain name) themselves or request donations.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the current site admins who co-ordinate the web hosting, although it would certainly be simpler.

salsaSkaarj wrote:The sooner this is settled, the sooner Hellscrag can cut himself loose from Unrealsp.org (which is clearly what he wants).

Quite so...

TheIronKnuckle wrote:The best way to guarantee you'll be back is to announce you are leaving :wink:

It's been nearly 9 years and I've stuck around. Do I look like I'm not serious?

EDIT: Actually, that's nearly 10 years. :B

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010, 23:59

Not at all. It was a joke.

what i don't get is why you wouldn't pop in every now and then anyway. You haven't afaik said anything specifically about buggering off "once and for all", but it seems somewhat implied. It's not like the community has shuned you and you are "vowing never to return" in typical internet drama style :P riiight? You'd still be posting once every month or so? Every 6 months? eh what does it matter XD
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010, 00:04

I just mean I'm basically done with Unreal and gaming in general. My life is moving in a different direction, and there's no reason for me to keep hanging about like a relic of yesteryear; I have little of value left to contribute. I've certainly not been "shunned" and I'm not being dramatic - just pragmatic.

Maybe when and if my RL plans have fully taken shape, I'll pop back to tell you what it was really all about.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010, 04:23

I dunno, does Unreal really even need this site now? Maybe it is a smart decision to let it die from my perspective. I mean, only a handful of UT and Unreal projects are even in existence anymore and IMHO, those projects could be just as well supported from BeyondUnreal or even OldUnreal.com in the future. Don't get me wrong, I think UnrealSP.org is probably the most honorable and organized forum of the mother game (when comparing it to the others), but sometimes I think keeping the grounds clean and organized isn't really the key to a public forum. The important thing in a forums is to let everyone express their own opinion whether it be off the wall insane or an informative response. Sure, such things as racism should never be tolerated at any level, but other than that.. anything goes in my book. It is my own opinion that UnrealSP tries to keep a level of public toleration which can be seen as appealing from an outsiders perspective when joining the forum.

The fact of the matter is though, if someone loves to play Unreal and sees a semi-officially supported forum as OldUnreal, chances are they are going to join regardless of what is/is not tolerated.

Next