UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Why are the MotW threads all locked? [SOLVED!]

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar BuddhaMaster
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Why are the MotW threads all locked? [SOLVED!]

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011, 06:26

Hello there, I'm a Unreal Veteran, this is my first post and I wonder why is that?

I came to this page because of the excessive, illustrated map reviews- and talk.
Nice to see some passion to an old game which changed my life.
Last edited by BuddhaMaster on 31 Mar 2011, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Why are the MotW threads all locked?

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011, 08:48

Maps are discussed for only a week.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011, 13:04

Hello and welcome! =)

The name Map of the Week is rather self-explanatory. ;) To keep things chronological, the previous threads are locked so that discussion can be concentrated on the current MOTW.

I'm playing with the idea of adding a MOTW indicator on the main page, maybe with a picture and a link to the thread...
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011, 17:19

It would be nice if the maps could still be kept in order of the week they were discussed, and still be able to most posts on them.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

replay88
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011, 19:01

Shivaxi wrote:It would be nice if the maps could still be kept in order of the week they were discussed, and still be able to most posts on them.

agree

EDIT
My only hangup is, missing it, so MOT2W 2 weeks.
Last edited by replay88 on 17 Mar 2011, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011, 19:38

Shivaxi wrote:It would be nice if the maps could still be kept in order of the week they were discussed, and still be able to most posts on them.

That isn't as simple as it seems.
It would be possible to keep the current MOTW on top by making the current MOTW a sticky or an announcement. (no change to phpBB necessary). But it would imply that when a new MOTW is started, the previous one would have to be edited to remove the sticky (or announce).

Keeping the the MOTW in the order of topic start-time is a more of a hassle and needs and extra sort order (and I can't remember offhand whether the variable topic start-time is available by default in the calling php). All in all it's not a difficult modification but I doubt it's worth the effort (with every update it would have to be checked).

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011, 01:36

A week is enough time for the discussion to develop as much as it needs to. By the end of it everyone's done talking.

If the discussion turns into a mind-bending one about a huge overarching idea, then it can be continued in another thread. I'm sure, however, that by that point the topic is no longer about the map (which is fine).
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

replay88

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011, 00:05

LOL_PEANUTS wrote:A week is enough time for the discussion to develop as much as it needs to. By the end of it everyone's done talking.

If the discussion turns into a mind-bending one about a huge overarching idea, then it can be continued in another thread. I'm sure, however, that by that point the topic is no longer about the map (which is fine).

Yes but now days one has to consider daily lives, not nearly as many players, so 2 weeks would not seem too long. (for me)

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011, 18:24

Possibly start a new one every week but keep them all open for two weeks? Two unlocked threads can't cause too much confusion.

replay88

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011, 07:29

Legendslayer222 wrote:Possibly start a new one every week but keep them all open for two weeks? Two unlocked threads can't cause too much confusion.

:tup: :tup: :tup: