Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

UnrealSP.org update status

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

How would you like the navigation bar (at the top) to behave?

Poll ended at 26 May 2014, 16:09

Leave it at the top of the page. If I need something, I can scroll up.
60%
Scroll it along with the viewer! I don't mind a little less vertical space.
40%

Total votes: 5

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: UnrealSP.org update status

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014, 20:13

It was initially planned as a quick & tasty back-end for the content of the front page, with a little design update, but eventually it grew into a full-blown combination of the site and forums into a single entity, with a completely fresh, modern theme. When I noticed that it was not possible to conveniently merge phpBB sessions into a custom CMS, since it led to a couple complications, I ended up surrendering and decided to switch to phpBB as development base. This was not going well at all, since 3.0's css-embedded variables (the most stupid thing I've seen in a while) heavily conflicted with my dev tools (Compass/SASS)... this put me off from development for a looong time. However, 3.1 came along, and with it the style was reworked to remove any variables from CSS. This finally allowed me to relaunch development, and came with the bonus of the new extension system (of which I knew nothing until actually trying it ;) ). And now, I've gotten more work done in 2 weeks than I have in the 2 years that came before... a good sign!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014, 20:27

ividyon wrote:... This was not going well at all, since 3.0's css-embedded variables (the most stupid thing I've seen in a while) heavily conflicted with my dev tools (Compass/SASS)... this put me off from development for a looong time.

I can imagine, exactly the same thing made me skip a couple of updates (plus the fact that most of these updates consisted of modifications in files which were already heavily modified by me.

The new extension system is a great improvement but does cause a couple of new problems (which is entirely normal and to be expected)

ividyon wrote:... And now, I've gotten more work done in 2 weeks than I have in the 2 years that came before... a good sign!

You're giving me some encouragement to pick up were I left of :)

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 00:23

Locking this thread in favor of a new post-release thread.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Previous