Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

UnrealSP.org update status

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

How would you like the navigation bar (at the top) to behave?

Poll ended at 26 May 2014, 16:09

Leave it at the top of the page. If I need something, I can scroll up.
60%
Scroll it along with the viewer! I don't mind a little less vertical space.
40%

Total votes: 5

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: Hypothetical site re-design question

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011, 19:13

makemeunreal wrote:I think the site is good.. :D not need redisegn..but the vhat doesnt work...

I didn't know this site had a vhat.
It does have a chat however which currently works (yesterday also), but, certain security settings in browsers (Avant) prevent the scripts from executing completely. With standard settings everyting works just fine on IE9, Firefox, Opera and Chrome (all latest versions).

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011, 19:50

thx.. :twisted:
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011, 09:36

I'm happy with the current design for the most part. Any changes should be kept to the backend.
StalwartUK

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: Site re-design: Concept stage

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 18:38

Update!

Truthfully, I have neglected work on the website between all the schoolwork, gaming and general being a sloth, but a sudden spark of inspiration has re-awakened my webmastering spirits! Therefore, I'm digging up this thread to both provide and ask for some info.

Current re-design goals include:

• CSS styling etc. instead of embedding the entire design into every page
  • Visual revamp/modernization (example: CSS borders instead of .gif files)
  • Transition to PHP/MySQL-based article system
  • Review & guest article submission forms
  • Ability to comment on articles (perhaps with forum account integration?)
  • Wider coverage of subjects (Single-player Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament 3 & UDK projects/modding)
  • Changes to project forum structure (why finished projects in "Projects in Production"? why hardly any attention to Upcoming Maps guidelines?)

Sadly, since I've basically no experience with creating modern web content from scratch (my latest work being table-based, not making use of any CSS styling and made in Dreamweaver, a WYSIWYG editor), it will take quite a bit until I can fully realize most of this stuff. However, let us begin with small steps! First of all, I'd like to read your opinions on this particular little concept I thought up.

UnrealSP.Org doesn't really have an official logo beyond that one box with Courier New text in it, which is something I want to change. In addition, you will find a notification tab system in that concept shot. These little tabs would inform you of new content popping up on the main site (like reviews, articles, news posts) as well as things occuring on the forums (new PMs, replies to threads you started, replies to threads you've subscribed to etc.) The logo would be shared between site and forums, further fusing the two together, and the addition would be combined with a clean-up of the forum's header to make it more compact.

Do you like the logo change? What is your opinion of the tab notes idea? Think it's worth realizing? :o
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 18:55

This is awesome (:
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 18:59

I'm not 100% on the Skaarj in the logo (it feels like it influences the shape in a slightly odd way), but it looks good beyond that.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 18:59

I think the logo looks really nice from a technical standpoint, but aesthetically it seems off somehow. Mostly too cramped. You might want to add more space between the "UnrealSP.org" text and the white text below it, and also make the notification tabs lower down and a different color (maybe an off-yellow or something instead of the bright yellow).

I'm also not sure I like the border taking on contours that follow the shape of the text and the Skaarj - what would it look like if it was just a rounded rectangle and the Skaarj's feet were cut off (either hard cut or faded out toward the border) or the Skaarj was made smaller to fit?

I like the way that Skaarj looks though and the stylized UnrealSP.org text is pretty cool.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 19:06

I can cut that layout for ya. I'm doing that kind of stuff @ work, so I'm used to it. BTW better then Dreamweaver is NetBeans (besides it's free). Aside from that I can help you with DB design and all other stuff you'd need. Header concept is very nice :tup:
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 19:10

Pretty much agree with what has been said. The design is really cool and the tabs look handy, but the left edge of the box around the Skaarj looks a little oddly shaped.

I looked from this to the current logo and realized how bland the current one is. :o This is a much needed change!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 19:35

Remove the Skaarj.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 19:38

Thanks for the feedback so far! The Skaarj was sort of a last second thing, since I felt the site needed SOMETHING simple and graphical like an emblem, and a Skaarj would do as the most recognizable and ground-breaking of Unreal's creatures...

Waffnuffly wrote:You might want to add more space between the "UnrealSP.org" text and the white text below it, and also make the notification tabs lower down and a different color (maybe an off-yellow or something instead of the bright yellow).

I'm also not sure I like the border taking on contours that follow the shape of the text and the Skaarj - what would it look like if it was just a rounded rectangle and the Skaarj's feet were cut off (either hard cut or faded out toward the border) or the Skaarj was made smaller to fit?

Mmm.

I kinda liked the shape indentation at the top right, though. But perhaps simpler is better? :shy:

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 19:45

sana wrote:But perhaps simpler is better? :shy:

It is :) .

I'd still be interested in seeing one without the Skaarj, but that looks better.

Edit: I might be interested in seeing the top-right indentation again, but I'm not sure.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 19:47

sana wrote:Image

I kinda liked the shape indentation at the top right, though. But perhaps simpler is better? :shy:

Looks like SOMEONE'S prepared for the future! The... distant future.

This looks pretty nice though, good job! I like the Skaarj on there but it's not strictly necessary. You could keep the Skaarj and instead have it at the bottom of the left hand site navigation menu as a decorative "this is where the menu ends" marker or a donate button or something.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 19:48

Holy shit Residual Decay review
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 19:49

Hmm! I guess this does look kinda neat?! All those 9882083291 hours spent tweaking the fancy contours in MS Paint spent on nothing.

Previous Next