Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Red Nemesis Public Temporarily Closed

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Red Nemesis Public Temporarily Closed

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012, 19:37

You may have noticed that the forums take a nanosecond less to scroll down :)

In effort to aid the shaping up of the forum appearance and overal site, as well as to cut down on the nonsensical bumps that tend to appear on RN Public despite my efforts to keep people in the know, I have decided to close the Public forums for the time being until such time as when an actual Red Nemesis project is either released or on the verge of being (be it Residual Decay, Dead Cell, or one of the Jones Episodes that are shaping up to be out first).

It was a calculated decision on my part. I'd rather not have the threads decay into spam and jabbering while people wait for us to reveal something (which is starting to be the case, it seemed to me). When the public forums go live again they will be considerably cleaned up and prepped for new discussion. The closure has no bearing on the state of any RN project. It is simply something that needed to be done for a long time. I consider 2008-2009 the last time people made serious use of our faculties and there is no reason to keep it open for the moment.

I'm willing to hear comments on the contrary, however. Or general opinions.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: Red Nemesis Public Temporarily Closed

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012, 19:49

I've used this opportunity to close down the old Team UnrealSP forums (they can now be found in the Archives forum) as well as issue a warning to the SP2D team, whose subforums will also be closed in 2 weeks time unless I receive reports of active development and/or imminent release.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012, 20:09

Why don't put the Red Nemesis section in Archives too at least? Everything there is locked so.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012, 20:12

Because the action was requested as such. Besides, I can imagine that archiving the old forum would conflict with Proph's goals of cleaning it up for a later re-opening. That is for him to decide, though.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012, 21:28

I tend to think of the archives as a place for dead threads, dead sections. That's not really the case here as I'm just removing the section from public view for awhile (until it has a purpose again). Archives...let's be honest...is a forum graveyard. A place for things that require no additional posting but have landmark discussions that ought to be preserved.

If it's a matter of preserving screenshots I can update the Upcoming Maps thread when I get a moment.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012, 22:17

hmm. sp2d gonna be shut down huh? I wish they'd just release already :P
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Maxer 64
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012, 23:43

Mister_Prophet wrote:I tend to think of the archives as a place for dead threads, dead sections. That's not really the case here as I'm just removing the section from public view for awhile (until it has a purpose again). Archives...let's be honest...is a forum graveyard. A place for things that require no additional posting but have landmark discussions that ought to be preserved.

If it's a matter of preserving screenshots I can update the Upcoming Maps thread when I get a moment.

I agree. The archives are a graveyard. I dont think I'll be comfeterable with RN Public being there.
If you see this, I was a really dumb and stupid kid. Don't listen to the above.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012, 23:45

Gah
Every time I liked to read stuff from the RN section.

And I never seen the Archives being a graveyard so I disagree with that.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012, 05:29

Wasn't sure how often people frequented the old discussions. I suppose if there is enough of a petition for them I would be okay with that, though I don't know exactly what it is you were reading. And as for the graveyard comment, perhaps the idea of a record is better...though I say graveyard because those threads will never get new posts or new content.

Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012, 22:03

Just posting an update on this, since I haven't stated Red Nemesis news since this thread was first made and the "hold" order out on the Dead Cell development thread, which was the last thread I believe in the RN section that received active updates. I've gotten some concerned comments privately from some people, while other people know I am working things out and even a few of you out there are doing work for me. This is perhaps not the proper thread but it is the best one suited for some information. I'd rather not bump project threads for a fractured info when I can just do it all in one shot, since it all is related to Red Nemesis and the forum section at large;

1. As stated previously, the Red Nemesis project threads in "Upcoming" will not be maintained for news and were made for the site, USP, for project hosting purposes.

2. When the Red Nemesis section will open is not known, but what is known is that when I do it will commence with the release of my next SP project, with the forum repurposed accordingly. Do not be alarmed if you see some old threads deleted or locked when the time comes.

3. Dead Cell is still on Hold.

To those concerned who have emailed/spoken privately with me, I do not know what to do with this. What doesn't work and isn't finished.Diamond was unable to complete his "jumpsuit male" that would have served as the basis for the protagonist and perhaps some of the other male characters. The Melee system I wanted was never realized and probably will never be, I just don't think it can be done. In my last test run the human enemies were still too bot like in combat, which leads me to believe that serious coding/scripting would be necessary to get these guys working realistically (I imagine examining the Mercenary code would be prudent in the future, instead of using Troopers as a base). There was also an unfinished mechanical pawn made by Kaka based on my own design that would have served as a kind of sentinel enemy if the player "broke the rules," although it was revealed in screenshots that green versions of the blobs were being used for the same purpose. Similarly, there was also a remodeled Impact Hammer that never got to the skinning/animating phase. In more direct ways related to gameplay, the Use Key system implemented by Raven worked but needed tweaking, the Bleeding system also worked but needed work, and there were issues with weapon upgrades. I also remember some cookie cutter stuff, like shield colors being wonky and maybe some issues with some pickups that we never fully tested before the Hold. There was a working healing pickup system that built off the Rations from Seven Bullets but were timed-use like in Left 4 Dead. This was merely a placeholder for the Field Doctor healing system that we never had time to begin working on.

What DID work? Well for starters nearly all the mappage was done, and all the mandatory code related to level progression was working (in theory), like backtracking (there was one HUB and a couple of large Sublevels that made Dead Cell). We had a working Hud, a new translator window, and the graphics for the main menu was done (Carthage did an outstanding job and I want to finish Dead Cell for these contributions alone). While Diamond could not animate his Jumpsuit Male he did however make a couple of new animations for the UT Soldier, including a working 3rd person melee swipe which we showed in screenshots. Diamond also made a bunch of custom meshes and models that will be used regardless of Dead Cell's progress, mostly for decorations and new pickups. We had two fully functioning, fully completed melee weapons; The Slugger and the Sledge. Both weapons had sounds, were animated, and could be bloodied when used in combat. A third was made but never animated or the audio done, a crude kind of Axe weapon. The other weapons in Dead Cell were reskinned, modified versions of known Unreal guns that would retain their names. As mentioned, there were to be upgrades for all of them although we were in the middle of testing this when difficulties for me began. Notable mentions were a guideable razor blade, a yellow painted ASMD, and a non-rechargeable Dispersion Pistol. Major work was accomplished in the sound department. Zynthetic finished all the lines for Caesar, the main antagonist, and my girlfriend fully voiced a minor female antagonist. I even did some voice work for another character, though they were to be replaced. No music was made but Shivaxi did make a few item acquisition sound ques that I was on the fence about including. We had ladders and all features of Nemesis Core were ready to go (including Distance Fog, which I implemented, and post processing effects, which I did not). Custom gametype was made, as was an opening UMS guided cutscene. Many custom triggers were made for Dead Cell, including advanced damage-based triggers and complex inventory spawners, all of it made for non-linear thinking and playing. We also, by accident, invented a simple system for bloodied skins on normal Unreal pawns when killed but no skinner was ever approached to do this (code still works).

Dead Cell was intended to work on UT and Unreal 227.

4. Residual Decay will be released in Episodes. More information on this when I have it, though I can say now that those last bits of Nemesis news I posted about revamping older episodes can now be considered part of this planned Episode release. I'd rather have a standalone thread to discuss this, but I will say that in order to preserve the levels made for Residual Decay I had to make some decisions. I can say that the Time Travel and Planet Trotting concepts have been dropped and that some sections of the game will "be moved up" to earlier periods in the timeline, with Na Pali being the central location for the last chapter...if you recall, Jones originally visited five planets, but now two of those planetary sections will be merged and combined with levels salvaged from Battle for Na Pali.

5. The website is probably down for good. I can't do anything about it without Zynthetic and I don't want to bother the guy while Killing Floor is doing so well. And nobody else should either.

Kew
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012, 18:52

Mister_Prophet,

I have been working on ancient ruins in the desert just lately. There was a tradition way back then of "extending an olive branch". Well, I extend an olive branch to you and truly hope you will accept it from me. We are, when all is said and done, just mappers sharing a common interest. We are proud of the stuff we make, maybe too much so on my part...

I read all that you said concerning Red Nemesis and Dead Cell. There are too few projects on the go and it takes productions like yours (and maybe mine too) to keep some life in Unreal. If anything I say will encourage you to keep up all your good work, then I say it to you here and now. I just don't have the technique or the support team to put the sort of polish that you guys have. I don't have a clue how to make a cinematic or even a video. I wish I did.

So, I sense a certain resignation in your words. Sometimes I look at what I am doing and wonder why I keep going. I give it a day or two and the enthusiasm returns. Keep going. :)

Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012, 21:07

Thank you for that, Kew. Although you should know that I don't hold grudges. That stuff sits in your bones like poison and it's no good for anyone. It certainly never made me more creative.

I wouldn't say I am feeling any resignation, if that is how it sounds. More like acceptance of certain realities, and I just want to make sure people know that just because I closed the RN section that I'm still around, and it will be reopened when there is something out there to talk about. I'm still committed to releasing these projects and while I'm less likely to have a go at Dead Cell at the moment (when all is said and done it would probably end up as a really detailed rendition of DeCyber Duel) there's a certain relief when you have to make changes to something that makes work easier for you. For instance, removing certain story elements and breaking RD up into episodes not only means it will be easier for me to finish, but that people will be playing it sooner. I will be conducting beta tests soon on the first Episode. One of the reasons work has occurred so quickly is that the first Episode is being made with the prospect of being a Vanilla mappack with almost 100% stock content.

If anyone has any questions about the above announcements, I'll answer them here for the moment. Otherwise I will make an official announcement on the happenings of RD in a few weeks.

Kew

Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012, 21:32

Mister_Prophet,

I look forward to the release of the first Episode. It will be good to play something new, other than maps I am making, particularly since I prefer Vanilla mappacks. Great news.

User avatar Nalisavior

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012, 04:57

Good to hear that RD is still a go, Goodluck prophet,my friends and I eagerly await your project!

User avatar AndryxaXP
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012, 16:37

how many episodes and maps?

Next