Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

Belated inquiry about the 10th Anniversary contest

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Belated inquiry about the 10th Anniversary contest

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 01:38

A friend of mine has brought a certain fact to my attention, namely that one of the entries has a brush borrowed from Neve's Crossing. It's been slightly modified and rotated, but it's clearly seen that the map, Chapel of the Elders, has a fragment that is not Teridax's.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hux1xo << the screenshots comparing both maps both ingame and in UnrealEd are presented. It is additionally seen that the translator message is obviously the same, save for Eldora Well mention being changed and the last sentence removed. It may be a little issue since it's a secret area copied from a secret area so less exploration-prone players might not notice, but the fact remains that this small fragment of the map is taken from somewhere else. Don't get me wrong: Chapel is one of my favorite entries into the contest, loved playing it, but wasn't it against the contest rules to take brushes from stock levels?
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: Belated inquiry about the 10th Anniversary contest

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 02:21

Wow this is so far down the list of things worth caring about it fell off and disappeared into the infinity of shitless abandon

[Edit] And yeah Frieza pointed out that brushes are technically "stock content" anyway. The point of that rule was to get people to focus on level design instead of spending half their available time scripting custom stuff or making models and textures and music instead of mapping. ;)
Last edited by Buff Skeleton on 26 Jun 2012, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Frieza

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 02:22

Nothing about that in the rules, in fact it even says: "General objective: The goal is to create a classic Unreal single-player map or short campaign exclusively using stock Unreal assets."

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 02:32

Even if it were against the rules, what would the point be of doing anything now? It's not like he got anything from entering, and deleting the entry from the contest page would be a waste of time.

As for the messages:

Original:
"I fear our struggle is not yet over. The Sky Demons have discovered Eldora's Well and are using it against us. I was fortunate to escape with my life. I wait here in hope they will soon leave us..."

Teridax:
Will our struggle ever end? The Sky Demons have discovered the system of aquifiers below, and now they unleash their wicked serpents upon us. I will wait here, though I know it will only delay my passing.

Your friend is basing the argument for the message being ripped off on five words (seven if you include wait and here)? There are so many nali messages like these out there that they could all be considered rip offs, in that case.

Looking at the files, someone put a lot of work into this. I wonder who that could be. :rolleyes:
Last edited by AlCapowned on 26 Jun 2012, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 02:55

I won't deny that the cave was inspired by the one in Neve's Crossing, but it would take a lot more than a bit of rotation to make my cave look exactly like the one from Neve's Crossing. Open up both maps in the editor and you'll see what I mean. For starters, my cave was made with tessellated cubes. I don't get what you mean about the translator message, either. Aside from "The Sky Demons have discovered," they're not similar at all.

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 05:50

If these findings are incorrect, I must apologize about making a fuss out of this.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 09:48

I sure wonder who that friend might be!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 10:02

Regardles, you may close this thread, his findings turned out to be false, I apologized, so this thread no longer has a purpose. However, if you feel like discussing the issue, you may as well leave it open.