A random sentence for a random mind.

Will there be any more contests? [Poll added]

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

In a new USP mapping contest, would you like to see 227 features put to use?

Poll ended at 08 Mar 2013, 23:39

Entries should be allowed to use new 227 features
56%
Entries must be compatible with all platforms (224)
44%

Total votes: 16

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: Will there be any more contests?

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012, 18:02

Imagine a map made entirely from Queen.utx textures. I don't think I've actually seen one before, it would be interesting to see the results.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012, 19:02

I guess what I was trying to say is I would like all the maps to come out at once.NOT have each mapper have their own thread and get 50 beta versions and helping from others and 20 screenshots before the contest ends.Makes no sense and is like just people making their own map without any contest or map pack, just everyday mapping.

All the sports or beauty contests happens in one setting, not 3 months of watching them practice, kinda sorta more or less.I like the build up and surprise factor too see all what people did otherwise it kinda takes the fun out of it.
And would be even more awesome if there was a compilation utilizing a hub map.door1 door2 door3.........................with a sign of the author and map name by each door.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012, 21:47

If you don't want to see WIP shots, don't view the mappers' threads!

Having the opportunity to post WIP stuff and chat with other mappers during the 8th Anniversary Contest made my life a lot easier and more relaxed since I was able to share the experience. I don't like working in a vacuum, but some people do (and they can if they want).

Captain Clark wrote:Imagine a map made entirely from Queen.utx textures. I don't think I've actually seen one before, it would be interesting to see the results.

Queen.utx would be interesting, but it's too small for a whole map I think. Would need to include Skaarj.utx for sure.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012, 00:23

Why don't we just make it a requirement that anyone who's entering and has uncompleted projects from previous contests has to finish those projects? :P

and any new mappers have to make their maps redeemer only
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012, 00:39

I wouldn't call it working in a vacuum, if you seen a statue being carved for a year, when it's done you just think, oh, thats nice.
Not looking at the threads of threads that should not exist, is the idea.
You know when they announce the winners on those TV talent shows, and they wait and wait on the stage, the winner is....................................................................

LoL
Just ban everyone

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012, 01:44

If you don't want a movie's plot to be spoiled, don't go on IMDb or look at trailers. If you don't want to know anything about what is being worked on in a mapping contest, don't look at the threads, like Waffnuffly said.

Sports and beauty contests don't take months to complete. Mapping is not like those, it's like an art competition. Contestants can take their time with their art and get feedback from other people.

Besides, where would the anticipation be if you had no idea what the winning maps were until you played them? It would be like if the winners on American Idol were announced first, and then their performances were shown.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012, 02:44

Well, but what ever happened to the idea that the artist don't want others to see the work until it's done ! .I think the only reason for people to have their OWN thread is to be a show off more than anything else.

I dunno I just like the sum of all work, all mappers to hit the scene all at once, like a new vid game that just came out after you been waiting for it for a while.

anyway, it's all good no matter how it's done you guys just want the spoilers before the spoilers are even out, :lol:
Just ban everyone

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012, 03:46

I always felt the point of making a project thread was to show people what you're working on and promote discussion about it. You know, cus it's a forum ;)

Of course, I don't like spoilers so I always made it a rule not to show anything too content critical. Exceptions I've made to this are when I've shown an enemy or weapon model render. But in regards to mapping, I always keep the best shots private :o

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012, 03:58

redeye wrote:Well, but what ever happened to the idea that the artist don't want others to see the work until it's done ! .I think the only reason for people to have their OWN thread is to be a show off more than anything else.
Feedback during development is many, many times more valuable than feedback after development. As for "showing off", let me put it this way: why do we release single player levels at all? Isn't that "showing off?" I know personally when I know other people are going to see something I am more motivated to put in my best work.

On the subject of restricted texture sets I think a brand new texture set would be the most interesting. Not only are the stock textures all used to death, but new textures would be free of all the familiar styles the the textures lend themselves to. It would be a breath of fresh air both for designers and players.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012, 04:29

redeye wrote:Well, but what ever happened to the idea that the artist don't want others to see the work until it's done ! .I think the only reason for people to have their OWN thread is to be a show off more than anything else.

Uh, by that logic, all forms of art are for showing off.

I dunno I just like the sum of all work, all mappers to hit the scene all at once, like a new vid game that just came out after you been waiting for it for a while.

I don't know anyone who gets excited about a video game without knowing anything about it. I can't imagine that anyone would be interested in projects like Firestorm and Residual Decay if the only information about either of them was, "These Unreal fans are working on custom campaigns."

anyway, it's all good no matter how it's done you guys just want the spoilers before the spoilers are even out, :lol:

No, I'm pretty sure everyone else wants to be able to get feedback. Just because you can't stop yourself from reading the threads doesn't mean the people who actually contribute to the contest should lose the ability to improve their maps. If you enter, nobody would stop you from not posting anything until your map is finished.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012, 14:00

ebd wrote:On the subject of restricted texture sets I think a brand new texture set would be the most interesting. Not only are the stock textures all used to death, but new textures would be free of all the familiar styles the the textures lend themselves to. It would be a breath of fresh air both for designers and players.

New texture sets would be hard to locate at this point, and even harder to decide on, and nobody would be too sure how to use them. Which COULD work, or just make everyone lose interest or produce less-than-ideal maps. On the other hand, reusing a tried-and-true set but with a goal of doing something unconventional could make things interesting.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012, 14:12

I think that we should just stick with stock textures or do what Waffnuffly said, rather than making completely new textures.

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012, 08:23

I like the idea of the dual-texture set restriction. Like everyone's said before, it can really encourage people to think outside the box with their applications of those textures. And I'd really like to see in the end *how* those approaches all differed from one another. Most importantly, it would have the effect of broadening the scope of mappers on this forum, after seeing and understanding how certain textures can be used with certain geometry - see and think, "Wow, I didn't even think of that! I should try something like that or emulate the effect it had."

What might make the process a bit more democratic, would be to have a contest announcement post with a poll: people can vote on which two texture packages they would like to use/see used. So one option would be "This.utx + That.utx," another poll choice "Something.utx + Else.utx," etc. 16 choice limit... I think that might be more than enough for such purposes!

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012, 11:43

Ohh yeah...
Last edited by makemeunreal on 16 Jul 2013, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012, 23:43

What about something within a theme. Like a Collossal Castle Contest or Terrific Temple Test.
Or maybe you could have a startoff point, a room that you would have to build from, and you can go ahead and make six maps or just one map, but it has to start from that first room (which you can't edit) or whatever. Also you colud maybe have a choice as to which template you want to you want to start with: so a castle one or skaarj one or cave one or what ever you want.

Previous Next