A random sentence for a random mind.

Will there be any more contests? [Poll added]

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

In a new USP mapping contest, would you like to see 227 features put to use?

Poll ended at 08 Mar 2013, 23:39

Entries should be allowed to use new 227 features
56%
Entries must be compatible with all platforms (224)
44%

Total votes: 16

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: Will there be any more contests?

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013, 08:34

I'm too busy working on Episode 1 of RD and a DM level for project I'd like to participate in over at UT99.org to enter, but I'll chime in with my two cents.

I'm actually not in favor of a "Stock Only" contest simply because that is what was done last time. In terms of platform, I understand the sentiment to support the 227 patch. Yet, I'm concerned. A contest focused on solely that platform seems problematic to me for a couple of reasons. One, are there enough people who are familiar with the patch who will actually enter, and of them how many are likely to actually finish something? I can't imagine a 227-only thing having as many contestants as otherwise. Two, it seems to me that openness with platform variation is the smarter path, not the opposite. 227 can run levels from all walks of Unreal, but other patches can't do the same for 227-specific content, and there are a lot of players out there.

Also, there is another issue that needs to be addressed. Last time I was really annoyed with by how certain people reacted to the judging phase of the contest. We use the word contest liberally here, as what we are really doing (or ought to be doing) is collaboration. That's really what these things are. I actually think we should lighten up and ignore the whole "judging phase" this time, simply to avoid all the unnecessary butthurt and focus purely on what the real point is; making Unreal levels for us to play. When the tone of these things is more "collaboration" rather than "contest," the result is always so much more rewarding. Look at Deja Vu, or the FoT sets for UT.

And this brings me to my suggestion...

The "collaboration" this time should not be designed by what content or which platform, but by unity. I'm talking, everyone has to simply make a SP level, and that every level has to begin and end in the same room exit/entry. And the last phase of the "contest" is that everyone involved has to work together to string the maps made as a whole campaign. The challenge is being a team. For the sake of parameters, it should be a Na Pali story. And that's it.

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013, 12:32

Oh goody another compo.
...and the same issues again.
It is best to treat these things like racing.

Sometimes you are racing in a class, where a rigid and often restrictive balancing or handicapping is in place. Offering a close and tense competition.
Sometimes you all race in the same vehicle, so it becomes purely about 1 thing.
And sometimes you "run-what-you-brung" where you get to show-off your your shiny pimped pride and joy. Class against class. Offering you the wild joys of artistic freedom, but can leave 1 competitor unbeatable.

This is obviously in the first style.

It is unfortunate but a compromise must be made.
Who-ever is judges are, all need to be able to play all the maps, or they can't judge them.
The judges may not have all the required games.

It occurs to me that a standard UT to most people, is the v436 GOTY
You will have to list for UT mappers, the files they cannot use such as Chaos.

I would suggest that if more people are interested a free-for-all, no-holds-barred, competition then maybe it should be discussed further, but the logistics of how to judge it would be the first topic. Obviously a list of people that has every game being used may be a good start.
With enough people, it could be a parallel event for the "hot-rods".

To be honest, for me this is all a warm-up event for the real meat. UT-SDK vs U227i
That is the competition I am gagging for.
No-holds-barred, and any custom content, but with 1 common feature/thread.
Site vs site, team vs team.

Though I think Unreal mappers would have the edge, it would be nice to see what these new toys we have been given can really do, in a comparative sense.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013, 14:10

I don't see much of a reason for making the contest exclusive to 227. It doesn't need the support of a mapping contest in which most of the participants will only be able to use its basic features; it needs game-changing projects like Day of the Titan and U-Racer to get more people to download it. Besides, the last contest wasn't widely recognized outside of this community, since every participant who finished a map had been an UnrealSP regular at some point. Limiting the platform would probably just result in fewer participants. :/

Sorry for being such a downer. I just don't think another contest would be realistic, but if enough people want to join, forget what I've said. I can't map, so maybe I should be ignored anyway. :P

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013, 14:22

Also, 227 is well supported by mapping projects. The in-development Return to Na Pali sequels, Na Pali War and Operation Stealth Claw (as well as an unannounced one), all benefit from 227's features. As does Firestorm. What the 227 patch needs in terms of support is those projects seeing release and not a stiff contest platform requirement.

You can't map, I can't map and yet we're both contributing actual intel. Also, there's already quite some potential contestants, all we need now is for a contest to be actually announced. As well as... maybe more participants :P
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013, 14:26

Personally, I don't think limiting the contest to 227 would be a good idea. I love 227, but I think there are more people who have/use UT. A 227 only contest would limit the playerbase; if maps could be made so that everyone could play them (like last time), that would be the best way to go.

And like Mr. Prophet said, a collaboration would be a good idea. A few people's reactions really killed (what was supposed to be) the friendly competition of the last contest. If people worked together instead of competing, there wouldn't be anything to get mad about.

I would be a lot more interested in a collaboration than a contest. It'd be pretty cool to get a Deja Vu type thing going.

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013, 14:46

Teridax wrote:Personally, I don't think limiting the contest to 227 would be a good idea. I love 227, but I think there are more people who have/use UT. A 227 only contest would limit the playerbase; if maps could be made so that everyone could play them (like last time), that would be the best way to go.

That's what I meant by 227 requirement dividing the community. Maps that don't require 227 or UT specifically are good for all. I couldn't have worded it better even if someone paid me to try.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013, 16:45

Teridax wrote:And like Mr. Prophet said, a collaboration would be a good idea. A few people's reactions really killed (what was supposed to be) the friendly competition of the last contest. If people worked together instead of competing, there wouldn't be anything to get mad about.

The first contest had judging and went fine. I don't think one or two people with serious maturity and self-control issues (one of whom is banned from this site and probably would not be considered in judging again) should be used as a reason to not rank contest entries, and people like to get feedback on what they've made. That said, judging and comparing is not strictly necessary either.

But as I'm not gonna be participating this is moot anyway. It's up to the participants how the thing goes.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013, 23:40

Poll added to the first post about the 227/compatibility thing. That should clear things up.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013, 04:14

sana wrote:Poll added to the first post about the 227/compatibility thing. That should clear things up.

your "to" is "ot" in the vote sentence up there.

But if I where to just play the levels, I can and am setup to play using 227.
I really ain't against 227, it's just using all the old Unreal interface.
Just ban everyone

Previous