Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Potential contest participants, post here.

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: Potential contest participants, post here.

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015, 14:05

I sure hope it will! Would be loads of fun!

EDIT: And it can take various forms, too.
Mister_Prophet wrote:I'm thinking a merging of talent akin to what Deja Vu was.

Or a map chain or something (there is an old thread about that but it looked really too old to bump! :P ). The thing is, it would be like a community party sort of thing :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015, 14:17

UBerserker wrote:Is this even going to be a thing though

Yeah, the announcement dates almost 2 years, so ... (perhaps Delacroix can confirm that closing this topic is the right thing to do?)

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015, 14:53

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this had a lot of overlap with the Weedrow series, and essentially became that (except this apparently came after the first).
Formerly Mman

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015, 16:57

This came from me asking if there was going to be another speedmapping contest back in 2012 (3 years now... wow) - Weedrow 2 was already long into development, so it has nothing to do with it.

I would still be interested in doing some kind of contest or another Deja Vu thing so long as it doesn't turn into a new Battle for Na Pali :P

SZ

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015, 01:26

I'm thinking a collaboration project just needs a good central theme, active participants, and the right motivation. Deja Vu was done in...what, a month?

Problem is finding someone willing to get the ball rolling. Or the time to. I'd take the task myself and maybe in the past I should have organized one anyway. I like these kinds of things, generally. If I had the time this is what I would do: Secretly make a HUB level. Just....sit down, and make a HUB/Nexus kind of thing. I wouldn't tell anyone about it. I would just make it. And when it was done I would take screenshots and upload it and make a thread. And in that thread I would say, Papa is announcing a collaboration project. The story is ___ and here is the central map. I have ___ exits and I need ___ mappers to make a single level that contains its own story with an exit that returns to this HUB, in which case the player can play another map. The only catch is dot dot dot

Or something.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015, 02:09

Mister_Prophet, thank you for a post that oozes a vibrant feel good attitude!

I, myself, would love for something like that to take off :) I do realise that I'm not exactly the ideal person for setting the ball rolling (lack of experience, newcomer, noob mapper :shy: ) but I'd be happy to participate in such a community event and, of course, I believe that this kind of thing would do a lot of good to this community :)

I hope all those who would also enjoy for something like this to happen will raise their voices! :D
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015, 21:11

How about a contest about maps made after Unreal songs theme-wise?

EDIT: Actually nevermind the contest part. A general collaboration mappack is always better.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015, 01:20

Yeah, let's be honest. Stuff like this always yielded better results when we just worked together to make something.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015, 12:13

:tup:
and the idea of maps made after Unreal songs theme-wise could be interesting...

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015, 13:23

Sat42 wrote::tup:
and the idea of maps made after Unreal songs theme-wise could be interesting...

I'd like to even extend it to beta tracks. There are a lot of really cool songs there.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015, 23:43

UBerserker wrote:I'd like to even extend it to beta tracks. There are a lot of really cool songs there.

Oh yeah, man those tracks sure are gonna have to be part of the list. :)

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015, 00:15

I like the idea of having a central hub map which connects to lots of other maps - maybe something like a landscape with a temple area, a high-tech area, cavey/mine area with a couple of maps to each area.

Maybe if a couple of us put our heads together we could kickstart something really cool :)

SZ

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015, 00:20

Yep, I dig that idea too!
The only thing at this point (beyond actually kickstarting this) is to avoid being overambitious from the onset. Since this could be, in my view, regarded as an open, friendly community event, we could think up some constraining mechanism or a set of rules designed to keep the scope of this thing within reach over a defined period of time - somewhat akin to what was tested during the last contest (no custom art assets or whatever). After the initial release/result is available, we could always gauge the amount of interest among participants for additional work aimed at improving/expanding the first version of the pack, you know, something along those lines.
Frankly, it may be better to aim for something that may seem slightly "limited" compared to what we believe we are technically capable of, and at least end up with something for the community to enjoy after a month or 6 weeks of work or so. Sometimes constraints can also stimulate one's imagination - it could be "a map must not exceed 5MB" and/or something else. You know :)

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015, 04:51

I like the idea of a music theme with standard vanilla restrictions. Making levels playable on all platforms (Unreal 226/227, UT 436 w/Oldskool) would be crucial as I see it also. Nobody gets to use MyLevel, custom files could be debated but up to the discussion to rule out or accept. How I would do it.

Only obstacles to this that I see is that people will have to be careful to balance their gameplay with crossover inventory, as going back to the HUB between levels wouldn't wipe the player's loadout using vanilla gametypes. Either this is addressed in custom gametypes for the HUB (the less the word custom comes up the better I feel about this, seriously) or everyone makes an effort to sort this out in group beta testing.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015, 03:14

If you're gonna ban custom content I'm all for that, but it's absolutely trivial to implement a simple trigger to wipe a player's inventory, so I would do that at the minimum for hub links.

Previous Next