ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Split: Proper location for project threads?

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: Split: Proper location for project threads?

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 23:24

salsaSkaarj wrote:I've always found the Upcoming Maps forum a bit problematic. Lots of info on a map (or pack) being developed, and once it's released, a new topic started in another forum ... but a released map usually gets an overhaul (or 2)

The new system will be that Upcoming Maps is a purely main-site feature containing basic project info (the way Upcoming Maps threads do now) that may also contain a link to a Project Presentation thread if the creator so desires. There will no longer be an UM forum.

salsaSkaarj wrote:Current description =
General Gameplay
For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal, including mods and mutations that alter the game.

With this in mind I've written stuff about existing maps without gameplay changes in that Forum. (e.g. Ortican). Where would I have to write about a new map I've played now? (e.g. Skaarj Tower on 227? difficulty=6) Basically I see no difference, both are standard gameplay with 227 using a more difficult setting (which actually is gameplay-changing), and fit in the gameplay Forum.
My point is that I would keep standard gameplay and modified gameplay (through mods, mutators) separated (which would imply 2 forums).

Oh, no no. General Gameplay remains the place for discussion of existing Unreal content (such as the scenario you just provided), but now it's also the place to release and discuss gameplay-affecting mods and mutators such as HD Weapons, Ballistic Blood, Waffnuffly and LH's Nightmare mutator etc.

I've now added back the 'custom maps' line to the General Gameplay description. I figured it was self-explanatory, but this proves it is not.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 23:39

My thoughts on it are as follows. I feel that a general editor board (for questions, discussion, wip shots not attached to projects, etc) and a project board (for project threads) is a nice solution. It conflicts with the original design of the forums a bit, but back then maps were much more common than mods so a clear place for mod projects probably wasn't a big concern. I think the attachment to alliterate novelty names doesn't really help either. Maybe it is just because my own project, firetrucks, is a bit of a weird one. It isn't a mapping project, but it isn't a mutator mod either, but it can have huge effects on gameplay. Where does it belong? Under the proposed schema, in Content Creation, but then where do editor questions go?

There is an important point though. I am not an administrator of this website, nor am I some critical contributor who is a pillar of the community. As much as I am sure people love my 2hu avatars (doesn't waff bug horse have a script/addon to block out everything weaboo?) and my self depreciation, the fact is if I never posted again the community would continue along just fine. My vision for an ideal board setup may differ from ividyon's, but it isn't the end of the world or even a big deal.

I also feel a lot of pains going on now are the result of the clash between how the forums were intended originally, and how they were being used. These pains will pass with time. This kind of thing was all over 4chan when the /q/ (4chan feedback) board was introduced. Some boards had a culture vastly off the intended topic and as a result these boards underwent heavy change, for better or worse. A lot of people were upset at the time, but nobody really talks or cares about it anymore.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 23:46

ebd wrote:Maybe it is just because my own project, firetrucks, is a bit of a weird one. It isn't a mapping project, but it isn't a mutator mod either, but it can have huge effects on gameplay. Where does it belong? Under the proposed schema, in Content Creation, but then where do editor questions go?

firetrucks is fairly useless for existing maps, but it is a huge tool for editing or developing new content. By the newly clarified schema it therefore belongs into Content Creation next to .:..:'s particle emitter and the UT99 SDK. Editor questions still belong into Content Creation as well.

ebd wrote:My vision for an ideal board setup may differ from ividyon's, but it isn't the end of the world or even a big deal.

Ignoring all the self depreciation that foregoes this sentence; I still like to hear everyone's opinions though! While USP isn't a democracy, I definitely prefer to make everyone happy with my decisions, and a fresh perspective on issues can often change my mind. (Though it should not be a reason for drama when it doesn't.)

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013, 00:23

Question: where would custom music go? Like umx files and stuff for the game. Content Creation? Also I recently made a thread about music that I made pertaining to Unreal. Remixes of Unreal songs, and so forth. However these are MP3's not UMX's. So does this belong in Fan Art? even though its not drawing art...music is still art I suppose. I started it in Content Creation though before all the thread cleaning up.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013, 00:25

If you intend it to be used in levels, that sounds like a job for Content Creation. If you just do Unreal remixes or music that has an intended relation to the Unreal games, Fan Art indeed sounds like the best idea.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013, 03:11

Lets not introduce separate forums for custom gameplay and gameplay. Also please keep the alliteration :P it's a legacy of scrags that I've always highly enjoyed. Adds to the character of the board imo.

Also at first I was doing a bit of head scratching at the new organisational changes, but I get the feeling Sana has done a whole lot more head scratching and the system he's come up with is actually pretty good.

Whatever we do, please don't go introducing new forums for every little thing, (eg, music). As it stands I think it's a bit redundant having a fan art forum when that sort of stuff could just go in content creation. although now I'm scratching my head again because that would put fan art next to threads like the uscript help topic. You know what? **** it. I trust Sana on this one. Time will tell anyway
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013, 15:09

Music can be used in projects regardless whether it's UMX or MP3. 227 has a native support for OGG, and converting MP3 to OGG is child's play. UT has an RMusicPlayer which will not require a mapper to convert the tracks even. YouTube or non-downloadable SoundCloud links might be a nuissance at first, but with all the glorious tools to capture those... Let's just say that music >> Content Creation IMO fits.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013, 00:11

As long as material is intended for use in a project, it is a "resource" no matter what format it is.
An Unreal resource ripped or converted for viewing or listening pleasure, does not count as "Content Creation".

BTW. RMusicPlayer does not like the newer FMOD build used with the new Beta renderers.
Unless RMusicPlayer gets re-compiled with the latest FMOD source, you are stuck with the last OldUnreal Media Pack.
This would be a shame if not sorted somehow, as the new audio renderers give access to some of the cool functions U227 has.

Previous