A random sentence for a random mind.

Split: Proper location for project threads?

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Split: Proper location for project threads?

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013, 14:33

(This topic was split from the RLCoop thread.)

Bit of a slowpoke reaction, but I just realized this is Multiplayer Matters material, and swiftly moved the thread there. :tup:
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: [227] RLCoop (Real Life Gametype) [Forthcoming]

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 04:00

ividyon wrote:Bit of a slowpoke reaction, but I just realized this is Multiplayer Matters material, and swiftly moved the thread there. :tup:

Uh...no? It's a project. It's a gametype. For singleplayer as well, not just multiplayer. That's why I put it under Projects. I mean Rising City is under Project Presentation...along with the Deep Space Deathmatch gametype...U-Racer...the Nightmare Mod thing...

Also wtf happened to the forum layout?! O_o
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 07:32

Shivaxi wrote:
ividyon wrote:Also wtf happened to the forum layout?! O_o

It has been changed to "unrealsp3" as per Ives' report in Site Speak and my subsequent news post in the News Node. It can be reverted back to "unrealsp2" in your User Control Panel, if you so desire.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 15:55

Can this topic please be moved back to Project Presentation? This is a gametype/mod that is also for single player, not necessarily multiplayer. It's no different than other projects like U-Racer, Deep Space Deathmatch, Unreal Nightmare, or Rising City, all of which are in Project Presentation which feature a new gametype for singleplayer or multiplayer along with other mod enhancements, just as RLCoop does. It also doesn't quite make sense to move it to Multiplayer Matters after several months and 130+ posts out of the blue.

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 16:00

ividyon wrote:Bit of a slowpoke reaction, but I just realized this is Multiplayer Matters material, and swiftly moved the thread there. :tup:

This is a SP gametype.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 19:46

Wait, now I'm confused. Maybe you guys can explain this to me because I'm slow, but I thought this was a heightened COOP project?

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 20:05

Well it's both. It's for single player, its for coop multiplayer, and its also a mod on its own because of all the enhancements and changes. It doesn't make sense though that suddenly after several months and 130+ posts, it gets moved to Multiplayer Matters out of the blue? It's always been in Project Presentation and that's where it belongs. Again I refer to U-Racer, Deep Space Deathmatch (which is only multiplayer as it stands currently), Rising City...etc...all under Project Presentation.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 20:07

Shivaxi wrote:Can this topic please be moved back to Project Presentation? This is a gametype/mod that is also for single player, not necessarily multiplayer. It's no different than other projects like U-Racer, Deep Space Deathmatch, Unreal Nightmare, or Rising City, all of which are in Project Presentation which feature a new gametype for singleplayer or multiplayer along with other mod enhancements, just as RLCoop does. It also doesn't quite make sense to move it to Multiplayer Matters after several months and 130+ posts out of the blue.

It's true that RLCoop can be used in single-player as well, but given that the main focus definitely lies in cooperative play, as is suggested by the name of the project as well as the fact that all play sessions/recordings/streams have been of coop sessions so far, I don't think anyone doubts that it's mainly a multiplayer project. It is the same with Monster Hunt maps; these are intended for multi-player, but the fact that certain users (such as salsaSkaarj) also play them in SP does not make them single-player efforts... neither does moving a project into Multiplayer Matters somehow make it lesser.

Another argument against RLCoop in Project Presentation is that the forum description has explicitely stated the forum being the place for "mapping projects" since the beginning of time. While RLCoop features heavy changes to core gameplay and can be applied to SP maps, it is not a campaign, mapping project or TC. Your examples of Rising City, U-Racer and even Unreal Nightmare would be considered such, and Deep Space Deathmatch is a simple oversight of mine that has now also been corrected.

In light of the misunderstandings here I've updated the forum descriptions on Content Creation, Multiplayer Matters and Project Presentation to be more precise. In addition I've performed some long overdue clean-up work moving several other threads I missed to where they belong, mostly into Content Creation. All of this happens so late because I never really found the time to do it between studies, work and games. I hope this clears up the issue!

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 20:09

A lot of the stuff and threads started in Project Presentation hardly have much to do with just mapping alone now-a-days. It's been that way for a while now.

EDIT: as I now see 50% of the topics just on the first page of Project Presentation have been moved xD

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 20:12

To be fair, people have been putting the wrong threads in the wrong forums for years so I think Sana's on the right track here.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 20:14

Mister_Prophet wrote:To be fair, people have been putting the wrong threads in the wrong forums for years so I think Sana's on the right track here.

True, but there isn't really a section dedicated to mods and projects that are not mapping or mapping only. Some mods and projects are not always Multiplayer compatible. Where are we supposed to put those?

EDIT: I see the Content Creation description has been updated now to include such smaller mods. that's good. still a little weird RLCoop was the only one moved for about a day though before this mass cleanup =P hence i asked what was going on, and why a post saying "oops im a slowpoke, just realized this was supposed to be in Multiplayer Matters" was necessary when this topic has been here for a long time along with all the others moved just now
Last edited by Shivaxi on 30 Oct 2013, 20:17, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 20:17

Shivaxi wrote:True, but there isn't really a section dedicated to mods and projects that are not mapping or mapping only. Some mods and projects are not always Multiplayer compatible. Where are we supposed to put those?
Actually right now I'm not sure. I've designated Content Creation to be the drop point for mods, but now that I think about it, it sees a lot of activity due to UnrealEd and mapping questions. General Gameplay is less used, so I might move mods, mutators etc. there instead...

Split the discussion off the RLCoop thread to avoid cluttering it up further.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: Split: Proper location for project threads?

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 22:26

Yeah content creation has always been for helping each other out with technical problems.

Mods have gone in either multiplayer matters or project presentation. I think RLCoop could fit in either myself, although I do prefer having it in MM. I also note that a lot of MH projects get a thread in project presentation, and that seems appropriate unless you've moved those too.

Originally I would have preferred to keep project presentation for Single Player Maps and Packs only seeing as that's what the site is all about, but now we've got the upcoming maps forum which acts as an index of SP projects in the project forum so it's cool
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 22:45

No no no. The Upcoming Maps forum is a relic that will be phased out quite soon.

The new order is such:

- General Gameplay is for gameplay-changing mods, mutators, gametypes etc that can be applied to existing singleplayer content in order to change it.

- Content Creation is for mods, plugins and new systems that are primarily used for development of new content, such as emitters, the UT99 SDK, packs containing new monsters etc.

- Multiplayer Matters is for content that primarily focuses on the multiplayer aspect. It can include mods that generally work in SP as well, but are preferable in multiplayer (such as Monsterhunt).

I have updated the descriptions of the forums to reflect this. If I ever get around to writing up new House Rules or modifying the existing ones, I will also write about this there.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 23:11

ividyon wrote:No no no. The Upcoming Maps forum is a relic that will be phased out quite soon.

I've always found the Upcoming Maps forum a bit problematic. Lots of info on a map (or pack) being developed, and once it's released, a new topic started in another forum ... but a released map usually gets an overhaul (or 2)
ividyon wrote:The new order is such:

- General Gameplay is for gameplay-changing mods, mutators, gametypes etc that can be applied to existing singleplayer content in order to change it.

Current description =
General Gameplay
For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal, including mods and mutations that alter the game.

With this in mind I've written stuff about existing maps without gameplay changes in that Forum. (e.g. Ortican). Where would I have to write about a new map I've played now? (e.g. Skaarj Tower on 227? difficulty=6) Basically I see no difference, both are standard gameplay with 227 using a more difficult setting (which actually is gameplay-changing), and fit in the gameplay Forum.
My point is that I would keep standard gameplay and modified gameplay (through mods, mutators) separated (which would imply 2 forums).
As for RLCOOP, there was a video (by Shiv or Bleeder playing by himself) and even though this is SP, the changes are drastic (max 2 weapons, moveable objects, ability to carry health, extra ammo, etc..). As such it's a serious modification and (IMHO) might even warrant a separate forum seeing how many maps will be played.

Next