ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Site suggestion and feedback

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar pl1982
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Site suggestion and feedback

Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014, 23:21

Hi there guys,

Just a simple suggestion: I know the site is being revamped in phases, but wanted to suggest merging the "upcoming maps" and "project presentation" sections of the forums and site into one, so it is nice and simple with two main sections of the site: worthwhile map reviews and upcoming maps/mods (that can be updated by their creators). It will also be very cool if users can track the upcoming maps/mods like with ModDB. I believe this structure will make it very friendly for new users. On the main site it should also be highlighted (two big links): one to upcoming maps/projects and the other to released/reviewed projects. I believe that is the main reason peeps would come to UnrealSP (to find out about released and upcoming mods), so it makes sense to highlight it on the main page instead of it being just more random small links. Or perhaps three main links: forums, upcoming maps, released maps (since forums are also of course very popular).

Just me 2c; I would also in the future be willing to do reviews to help out the site if required; I am quite a seasoned Unreal player and believe I have a keen eye for what makes a good "unreal experience" and what does not.

Thank you for reading (and possibly considering) my inputs.

User avatar pl1982

Subject: Re: Site suggestion and feedback

Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014, 23:44

Just an edit from my side: after having used the site a bit more now, I can see the logic in the separate sections for "upcoming maps" and "project presentations"; at least I believe I can see your reasoning behind it: project presentations is for all new stuff, even if its crap. Upcoming maps page is for stuff that you see as actually 'worthwhile'. I agree with this approach since if you just put in a detailed tracking system of every random project (and let's be honest: 90% of announced mods are either crap or overambitious and doomed to fail in a few months) then it would be overwhelming for users. So the upcoming maps section is for 'cream of the crop' so to speak and gives new users a 'filtered' synopsis of the 'project presentations' section whilst not preventing newbie modders from at least getting feedback from the community (i.e. by allowing them to post their projects even if they have very little to show or even if it is obviously an amateur/first time attempt).

System makes sense and is solid, well done; so scrap my idea of merging them :(

Still would say though for this site design make the forums, upcoming maps and map reviews (worthwhile released maps) sections highlighted with big links as these are the main features of the site.

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014, 10:19

You still miss the point I think.
Upcoming maps is for currently in development work, and project presentation is for finished work.
If someone posts in the wrong section it should be moved, but it first takes someone to notice.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014, 12:31

In the future, Upcoming Projects will detached from the forums and become a full site feature which allows modders to post a summarized "project profile" of sorts, similar to what Upcoming Projects threads currently do.

There will be no more Upcoming Projects forum, and modders may choose to link their Upcoming Projects entry to a forum thread in Project Presentation. Project Presentation will be the new forum to discuss all projects, released and upcoming. This will eliminate any duplicate comment threads and pool all project discussion into one platform.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar pl1982

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014, 23:23

Cool, sounds good.