Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Reviews and Articles on the main site.

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Reviews and Articles on the main site.

Post Posted: 26 May 2014, 22:35

I've been gone from these forums for a while so forgive my ignorance - by why are all these recent reviews and articles crammed in a temporary forum instead of the main site? If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the web site being redesigned, but I thought that was already completed! Why are these reviews still not being posted on the main page? It makes it seem like UnrealSP.org is on its way to closing down, sine there are no more articles or map reviews. The forum should only be a place for people to discuss matters related to Unreal, rather than containing content pertinent to the main page itself.

Forgive my bluntness if the web site redesign is in fact NOT finished. Of course, I am not trying to rush anyone (since I am not the one designing it, I can't complain about the time line). I just remember UnrealSP being much more efficient about reviews and articles getting posted on the main site. It just seems like the main site is on its way out, and the forum is the focus now. I have an article/review that I am about to post, but don't want it to just sit here and rot in the forums...
Last edited by Lightning Hunter on 26 May 2014, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: Reviews and Articles on the main site.

Post Posted: 26 May 2014, 22:54

You're completely right that the redesign is taking ages to complete, and I'm incredibly guilty for working on it so sporadically; I wish I could say that it was just my university, part-time job and other important things that kept me away from finishing it, but procrastination and straight-up fear of the unknown (being a complete newbie to PHP, MySQL etc. and basically learning it all from scratch) also played a major part in keeping the dev cycle going for what is now 2+ years. However, I can at least say that progress is happening and I'm in an active development phase right now; as we speak, I've unified both site and forums, leading to a much more coherent experience, as well as giving the site a generally more polished and up-to-date look, doing my best to improve browsing comfort for old and new users alike.

When the redesign is eventually complete, content will be much easier to create and add to the site, forum users will be able to reach the page's functions much more easily, and therefore review and article creation will be at an all-time peak. I've high hopes that we'll be able to create a massive surge in activity on the site, and perhaps even get new players interested in the game (as new blood is vital in keeping a community alive). However, as the site functions right now, I've very little incentive in updating it, knowing that a much better and easier system is on the way.

If any kind of majority deems it necessary, I can invest some time into a final pre-redesign content update for the main site. However, it would take development time off the rework. I'll leave the judgement on that one to the community.

Development news are available in the respective forum thread; and as you, LH, have been a key contributor and "old guard" of UnrealSP.org, I can drop you a link to the private development platform so that you can add your feedback.

PS: The reviews in that forum category aren't all that's waiting on the backburner... I've asked my staff to hold off on publically releasing more content until the new site's done, so that we have a lot of content to regularly update the site with, to keep activity at a nice pace. If you have a review in the works, please send it to me in private instead of publishing it.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 26 May 2014, 23:06

Thank you for the quick response, Ividyon (previously Sana). I cannot guarantee that I will have time to look at the new layout and give a detailed response, but I will try. My time is very limited these days (a busy job and marriage will do that to a man). The article I have almost completed was in fact written back in 2011, but was never finished. It is not a custom map review, but something else that I will keep a secret to the rest of UnrealSP until I PM it to you (as per your request). I'm not sure about the magnitude of "surprise" this article will offer (if any at all), but I'll let you be the judge of that when I send it over.

Thanks again for the response. All further discussion on this topic will be limited to PM in order to keep it less public.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 26 May 2014, 23:16

I sent you some extra info on the subject via PM. :)
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator