Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

UnrealSP.org v2 beta is live! Feedback thread

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: UnrealSP.org v2 beta is live! Feedback thread

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014, 00:36

My ultimate goal is to have a "proper" launch of UnrealSP 2, in which all important functions (Comments, article listings, review table etc.) are functional and the major bugs are dealt with. Along with that, I would start some heavy promotion work, attracting old users via e-mail, advertising the site in wider circles etc. That was the reason behind the complete redesign, as I was hoping to draw in more users via a modern design.

That's my main reason to hesitate with the posting of these articles; they're valuable as an asset to get people interested in UnrealSP and keep them coming back for a while, so that we can establish a healthier community and userbase and, therefore, create and share even more content. That's my battle plan, so to speak. I could just release ALL THE THINGS right now, but it'd lack fanfare and garner little attention, as the site is unfinished and all the new content would just steal each other's limelight, and I believe all these wonderful articles and reviews deserve a better fate than that.

Good idea? Bad idea? Remember that every bit of feedback is valuable to me, positive or negative! :) Only by your reactions can I gauge the needs and wishes of the community.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014, 10:20

ividyon wrote:I could just release ALL THE THINGS right now, ...

Nope, stick to your battle plan.
If there's too much to read in one go, people will be less incited to post (to the point) comments, due to overload with information (as you've stated).

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014, 21:47

I agree with salsa for the same reasons. Your plan sounds good.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014, 13:25

I'm pleased to announce that ebd has now joined the staff as a PHP developer and will be helping with the continued development of the site. =)

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014, 14:40

Good to hear! :tup:
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014, 22:35

I've triaged the site with some minor fixes. The most notable should be that the notification menu is now fixed! Also, I published an experimental What is Unreal? Game Guide page. This is how content might look like on the new platform!

EDIT:

Also, I fixed up the BBCode panel! Sorta. It still has to be themed to go with the rest of the site, but it's readable, at least!

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014, 23:50

Shouldn't an Unreal Tournament 2007 section be added to that page - I mean it's only been out for a short time but still...

Page looks nice with the new style though, keep up the l33t work!

[EDIT:] See you fixed the editor buttons too! and you added the messages up top :P

SZ

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 12:38

Regarding those messages up top (which I began noticing last week-end), what do you intend for them to be after "release"? Quotes from the game(s), perhaps?
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 19:19

They're meant to be "did you know" sort of things if I remember correctly from the chat a while back - so amazingly fantastical facts you've never heard of or known before, like....

"Did You Know that using Align to X/Y axis on curved surfaces can produce stretch marks? Manually align for best results!"

SZ

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 21:52

^That kind of stuff could actually help!

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 23:02

Oh dear! I didn't actually intend to release that! That was just a bit of fun I allowed myself during development, that perhaps would later be replaced by "real", more helpful messages. I must've kept it on when I uploaded the updated code base with the handful of fixes... Weeeelp... :shy:

Guess I'm uh, open for suggestions as to what kind of messages you'd like to see up there in the future, if any!

User avatar metalfist
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014, 15:51

I've just seen the new site and I must say that I LIKE IT! :)

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014, 01:47

Hey, on the topic of ALL THE NEW CONTENT, maybe just leak a review or two every 3-6 months, even if the new site isn't 100% implemented yet? :P It feels like there are significant stacks of things that we're waiting to see and I'm keen to see at least some of it in the meantime.
Also thanks so much for keeping the legacy site available still, love to go back and read old reviews on the old layout sometimes.

Can't really complain about the new site, it's looking good :D
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014, 03:17

I just got back here after a long time of absence. You weren't kidding you said you'd change the site.

I notice I have to click on the text rather than the perimeter of the buttons to actually navigate. Also the "Return to <previous form here>" doesn't work right.
“I am the dragon without a name...”

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 17:20

Transparency notice: I have enabled Google Analytics on the site to better scope out the activity and liveliness of the community, in order to better plan the future of UnrealSP. :)

I urge you to keep the script active, as it is docile and doesn't really cause any issues, while also greatly helping me learn about just how well Unreal single-player is really doing, and how much effort I should be investing into the site.

Previous Next