Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

UnrealSP.org v2 beta is live! Feedback thread

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: UnrealSP.org v2 beta is live! Feedback thread

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 01:07

Hello! As you may have noticed, the site's undergone a bit of a change. As you also may have noticed, it is partially incomplete and messy, and some things are not where they probably should be. However, don't be afraid and start praying to prevent the Apocalypse just yet! This is all only temporary and the site will recover from this bumpy start as the days go by. For all intents and purposes, consider the site a beta version. :shy:

For now, the most important thing for me is getting feedback. I want to know your opinion on all the things - the good, the bad, the ugly. Your words are invaluable to me in further improving (and fixing) UnrealSP.org and making it the best community everrr! So, please, use this opportunity to tell me what you think so far.

• How do you like the new design?
  • How do you like the general idea of fusing the site and forums?
  • Have you noticed any bugs or glaring flaws, such as missing icons, mis-colored elements (not fitting the general style), broken links or otherwise?

If a bug is particularly critical and, perhaps, not one people should know about, feel free to drop me a PM about it. (Though there shouldn't be any of those.) Also, don't forget to drop by the IRC chatroom to get a direct line to me and the staff!

Before I leave you to tear me to pieces, one last piece of advice: Let yourself get used to the design. It's new, it's different, it's not what you're used to, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's worse! Personally, I got way used to it while working on it, so I'm sure you can too!

I'm looking forward to what you have to say! :)

Known issues:
  1. Unreadable/missing BBCode icons
  2. Badly readable topic icons
  3. Large images sometimes stretching the layout

To-do list (preliminary):
  • Add content from old site
  • Add review listing
  • Add article comments
  • Add review downloads
  • Enable review submission for all users
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: UnrealSP.org v2 feedback thread

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 02:25

Since it wasn't mentioned I'll add that it was intended to be in a more finished state, but the nature of the content transfer forced it to be released a bit early.
Formerly Mman

User avatar ividyon

Subject: Re: UnrealSP.org v2 beta is live! Feedback thread

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 02:36

To expand on that:

When I upgraded the old forum database to the new phpBB 3.1 format and started working away at finishing the site, I realized that I could not just return the changes and re-enable the old forum, as it would consume a lot of effort to re-do it to account for new posts later. So I saw myself forced to release the update as it is, which at least seemed agreeable with my goal to release something on the anniversary, and made more sense than keeping the site offline for its own birthday...

Some terrible, terrible timing on various things to keep me busy (employment search, assisting a friend with their hobby, helping another friend move, preparations for a convention visit) have sabotaged my intended perfect anniversary launch. I really would've loved to give you guys a finished, wrapped-up site as a present, but I think that, for now, this isn't half bad! :)

It's 2:37 AM and I really need some sleep now, see you guys around!

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 03:57

Wow, what a fantastic change! I love all the effects and highlights and smoothness and shit. So fancy.

That said, the fanciness might be a little overkill in some areas. I'm not sure I like having the main site sidebar on the left all the time - I want to be able to view JUST the forms and use the space I've allocated in my browser to display text and make it easier to read. Right now, everything is super scrunched into the right side of the screen all because of a sidebar I don't even read 99% of the time + the forced width + forum avatars.

Here's a quick screen showing some feedback so far:
http://i2.minus.com/isOT99NgnX0OD.png

And
http://i.imgur.com/lcXJRPG.png

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 06:43

"New posts" link is missing. I used to visit it every day to check if something new happened.

Also, it scales really badly to my laptop's resolution 1280x800. Text overlaps and wraps to 2 lines here and there.

EDIT: Ok, found New Posts link. :P
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 10:39

Fantastic upgrade!! \o/ I really like the new design - it's fancy like Buff Skeleton said, and I'll get used to the new layout in time.
The general idea of fusing the site and forums is good, period. 8)
No bugs noticed so far!
Looking forward to seeing the rest in the next few weeks! :)
PS: w00t! The Fifth Vortex - Ehactora's Story has a review!! and what a review: I haven't read it yet (I always play a mappack before reading the review), just looked at the score and the one phrase summary, I'll be playing this soon! :D
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 12:09

BUFF SKELETON wrote:Right now, everything is super scrunched into the right side of the screen all because of a sidebar I don't even read 99% of the time + the forced width + forum avatars.

diamond wrote:Also, it scales really badly to my laptop's resolution 1280x800. Text overlaps and wraps to 2 lines here and there.

I've addressed a couple of these issues; most obviously, the site layout now scales inversely with your browser width, meaning that there will be less space on the sides as the window shrinks. I've also added some other small improvements; see if it helped. 8)

The scaling doesn't work on Chrome yet, which is the reason why I disabled it before release; Chrome always stays at the maximum width, which is not something I want at 1080p, aesthetically, especially once the random background rotation is back in.

Technically, the new layout should be offering more or, at least, as much horizontal space as the old one did, even excluding the sidebar.

The sidebar is here to stay; later on I want you to look at it, because it will host the current Map of the Week as well as the IRC channel's userlist, besides the new Notification system. It's regrettable that it stops and turns empty after you scroll for a bit, but other, professional sites also maintain this kind of design, so I'm pretty sure people can get used to it. :)

Also, @Waffnuffly: The scrolling on the second screenshot is a bug. Large images continue to screw up the layout SOMETIMES despite being set to max-width: 100%, which should scale them to their parent element; this bug mystifies me, but I should be able to solve it eventually.

Sat42 wrote:Fantastic upgrade!! \o/ I really like the new design - it's fancy like Buff Skeleton said, and I'll get used to the new layout in time.
The general idea of fusing the site and forums is good, period. 8)
No bugs noticed so far!
Looking forward to seeing the rest in the next few weeks! :)
PS: w00t! The Fifth Vortex - Ehactora's Story has a review!! and what a review: I haven't read it yet (I always play a mappack before reading the review), just looked at the score and the one phrase summary, I'll be playing this soon! :D

I'm glad you like it! I definitely recommend checking out the Fifth Vortex review; it's one of UBerserker's newest pieces, and it also shows off the new review page pretty well. \o/

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 12:19

At the moment I have this problem:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m52 ... ac72a5.png

It doesn't stay on the bottom of the page and remains in place if you scroll. Also the one on the top obscuring the logo seems rather odd to me. Also it stretches the page out to the right for some reason.
StalwartUK

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 12:25

What browser are you using, Stalwart? I understand the cause, but this shouldn't happen on any up-to-date browser.

EDIT: Do you also experience these issues with elements in the review's header, or buttons on posts?

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 13:44

I like it, especially the new reviews page. It feels new, but it's still very fitting of the old USP theme.

I have the same issue as StalwartUK in Firefox and Pale Moon (both are up to date, and pretty much the same things). Also, a lot of symbols seem to be broken.

http://postimg.org/image/986kmdj45/full/

IE works perfectly, though. All in all this is really good!

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 14:05

yeah i've got a lot of broken symbols too. I like the new site. More feedback later.
(also legacy site seems to be broken for me)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Rocky
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 14:19

New update is great I must say!
Good job @Sana :)

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 15:30

I like the update, it has a nice modern feel to it. Renders fine on my desktop, no issues. Thanks for working on this, I expect it will be a huge positive when it's complete.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 17:31

So I came back from a Jazz workshop and opened up USP and thought "Holy Shit! What's happened?"

Then I remembered you saying that it would change for the anniversary.

That's today.

Nice change though...

SZ

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 20:07

A friendly reminder that you should enable javascript/disable NoScript and/or adblockers, because several key features on UnrealSP.org that depend on this (most notably the navigation dropdowns at the top of the site). The icons depend on Font Awesome, which is embedded in the site from another web domain, which is why it might be blocked by your addons.

EDIT:

We now host our own copy of Font Awesome, so fixing the icons should be as simple as allowing UnrealSP.org in your ad- and script blockers. Also, the navbar floating issues encountered by StalwartUK and AlCapowned should be fixed now, but I still recommend you to upgrade to Firefox 30, as I did not encounter those issues using it. Seems like this is an older bug. Please report if it's fixed or not.

Next