Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Official Discord server!

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Official Discord server!

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017, 11:10

Hi there,

to catch up with the community after a long absence, I figured I might fuse one of my favorite current pastimes with USP; Discord!

I fell in love with the Discord chat, and with our IRC currently being a little barren, perhaps our regulars can reconvene in this new, more modern space.

Discord invite link

For the uninitiated: Discord is essentially a fusion of IRC, Teamspeak and private messengerss; an all-round package for gamers in which you can join various topical servers. It supports regular chat channels and even voice chats, though the latter are obviously optional. Another boon is that it keeps previous chat history, so you can catch up on what's been happening even if you weren't online to talk. Grab it over at the above URL!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: Official Discord server!

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017, 02:05

Never thought about a Discord server... Nice IRC replacement.
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017, 15:24

I was considering saying about moving the chat to Discord, since it basically seems to have become the sucessor to IRC as far as chat goes, so it's nice that that's happened now.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017, 14:15

Comparing Discord and IRC is like comparing facebook to HTTP.

Every group chat system since IRC has claimed to be the successor to IRC, yet IRC still continues, and will still be around long after the death of discord or skype, as they have all suffered the same problem as social media.
People only use the one that has the coolest features, so when another network offers something better, everyone will abandon ship again. Same for instant messengers.

IRC will continue because it is an open network, not a proprietary client. Thereby IRC can be added to anything and still maintain a small footprint.
Look at all the funky extras Twitch chat has, well guess what, it is normal IRC with a different interface.
I use Discord because I have to (same as facebook), but I use IRC because it is integrated into several communication tools I use. Even the browser I am using to type this has integrated IRC support.

Believe me one day Discord will just be another MySpace, and IRC will simply have other clients that use the network in new ways.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017, 14:30

I've hooked up a bot which allows two-way communications between our IRC and the main "general chat" channel on the Discord. :)
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 26 May 2021, 18:28

Hey guys, keen to keep in touch with what's happening and reconnect with the community, but I share Dr.Flay's aversion to Discord.

Is that link between the discord and the IRC still up? I've googled a bit but can't find a link to the relevant IRC channel?
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything