Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Reviews

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Reviews

Post Posted: 21 May 2018, 02:21

I've been out of the loop. Lot's of things happening in my life lately. I often forget about my peeps at UnrealSP. So forgive my question if there's developments going on that I am not privy too.

Reviews. Are they dead? Is anyone actively interested in me cruising through some new mappage and testing my hand at some fresh ones? Is there a format in place for them to be reuploaded Legacy site style yet? I recall penning a couple that were posted on the forum topics rather than the main page, is that still how its done?

Mainly I wanna catch up with some packs and single releases that I may have missed and figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. On that front, besides the obvious ones like Interloper and UB's new release I know I've missed a lot.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Reviews

Post Posted: 21 May 2018, 12:29

Mister_Prophet wrote:Reviews. Are they dead? Is anyone actively interested in me cruising through some new mappage and testing my hand at some fresh ones? Is there a format in place for them to be reuploaded Legacy site style yet? I recall penning a couple that were posted on the forum topics rather than the main page, is that still how its done?

That's how it's still done at the moment. Ividyon has been working on a USP redesign but I don't know the last progress on it and I'm not sure it's coming out any time soon.
Most of the USP's activity now happens in Discord, also. I also had to halt whatever plans I had for a MOTW successor because of lacks of responses in recent MOTW threads. Some recent users haven't been showing up anymore either :/
I hope there's a new life injection tomorrow with Unreal's 20th birthday.

Mister_Prophet wrote:Mainly I wanna catch up with some packs and single releases that I may have missed and figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. On that front, besides the obvious ones like Interloper and UB's new release I know I've missed a lot.

There are from what I remember:
-Xeops (Read carefully thread and readme before playing. Gotta mention I have an update ready for visuals only but it's quite heavy on the performance, your choice if you want to review the current version or I'll release this new one now)
-Xenome Interloper (nothing to say - it's not the last episode yet though)
-Hard Crash (the finished version has been quite overlooked)
-Unreal Resurgence (was sadly released unfinished)
-Ascension (WWW came temporarily back and released a map)
-H2SO4 (new mapper's debut level, pretty small)

G59 isn't finished yet (final version release is planned for early June) and while it also contains new maps and it's really, really polished in every category imaginable, I don't think it's still eligible for being reviewed.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 21 May 2018, 17:12

Thanks for the info UB :tup:

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 22 May 2018, 12:50

Hi Proph,

reviews and articles have been the lifeblood of UnrealSP.org for as long as I can remember, and I would be thrilled to feature new pieces by a long-standing community titan!

The new site is aimed to ensure that writers can add their content easily and comfortably. The only problem is that this new platform is not available yet, the systems I had put in place for this current iteration of USP don't allow me access to post anything, and the old legacy site is not a viable option to add new reviews to.

<Random> <screenshot> <dump> <here>.

You have multiple options:

1) Write your new pieces, and coordinate with me on when the new site will be available, so they can be posted. It would be *amazing* to have fresh written content to launch the new site with! It would go a long way to generate interest in the site and in Unreal.

2) Write your new pieces and just post them in the Temporary Articles forum. I'm unhappy with its existence because it's a band-aid solution, but I also wouldn't want to dampen your motivation for your writing by not letting you publish your work when it's done.

As you are the one doing the community a service with your written word, the choice is wholly yours. I hope to be able to launch the new site close to USP's anniversary next month, but due to my mental state and work conditions it is not a promise I can definitely keep. If you are comfortable with delaying the publishing of your writing until then, I feel that would be best.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Post Posted: 23 May 2018, 04:51

Okay sounds good to me. I'm currently going through Interloper first and then I'll tackle some of the others UB mentioned (and see if I can pine through others as well). Whenever I have something written I'll coordinate with you and use the suggestions you detailed above.

Anyone got something else I should jump on?

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 May 2018, 15:19

I'd very much like to read your stretched out opinions on some maps! I just browsed carelessly through the Project presentation threads and I would suggest additionally to the ones above:
The Chronicles of Weedrow, Vol. I: http://unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2266
Episode 2: http://unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3957
Illhaven Remastered and Expanded: http://unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2507
The man from A.H.R.G.: http://unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=875
Dead Star: http://unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3573
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 May 2018, 15:42

Dead Star was retired because of stolen content.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 23 May 2018, 17:28

I've actually played The Man From A.H.R.G. some years ago, that was Carthage's level about the Anime Expo with the Mirror's Edge style skyboxes, right? That's been out for a long time, nobody reviewed that? Interesting.

I reviewed Illhaven...what, ten years ago? I always thought someone would do a 2nd opinion review of that one, and the remaster has been out for a good while too, correct? I'll be honest, I've played Illhaven enough methinks and I think I'll pass on going back to that one. I'd probably just focus too much on the negatives and since I've already been there before it might be redundant to write up.

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 May 2018, 17:38

UBerserker wrote:Dead Star was retired because of stolen content.

Yeah, you are right, I oversaw that!
Mister_Prophet wrote:I've actually played The Man From A.H.R.G. some years ago, that was Carthage's level about the Anime Expo with the Mirror's Edge style skyboxes, right? That's been out for a long time, nobody reviewed that? Interesting.

I was surprised as well that it hasn't been reviewed yet since I remember it quite fondly.
Mister_Prophet wrote:I reviewed Illhaven...what, ten years ago? I always thought someone would do a 2nd opinion review of that one, and the remaster has been out for a good while too, correct? I'll be honest, I've played Illhaven enough methinks and I think I'll pass on going back to that one. I'd probably just focus too much on the negatives and since I've already been there before it might be redundant to write up.

Understandable. I would've never thought you'd do reviews for all of our suggested maps, since that'll take a lot of time and effort. :wink:
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 May 2018, 20:38

Mister_Prophet wrote:

Between today and tmr I will release a quick Xeops patch, so I'll be more than ok with it being reviewed now.
ImageImage