Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

MOTW box

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: MOTW box

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009, 20:40

Since we're already moving so much site functionality to the forums, how about a feature to show the current Map of the Week on the main page? It may prompt more people to actually read the main page since it will give them a great deal of convenient Unreal/USP information on the spot, opposed to having to surf the forum, and also it may help the MOTW section gain some popularity and more commenters.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009, 21:30

This is a great idea! I'm not sure where it would fit on the main page (especially if we included screenshots), but somewhere on the site for sure. Perhaps just a banner above the news which shows its title and author and the number of current comments with a link to the thread? Maybe one or two resized images from the thread as well.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: Re: MOTW box

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009, 22:12

sana wrote:Since we're already moving so much site functionality to the forums, how about a feature to show the current Map of the Week on the main page? It may prompt more people to actually read the main page since it will give them a great deal of convenient Unreal/USP information on the spot, opposed to having to surf the forum, and also it may help the MOTW section gain some popularity and more commenters.

Waffnuffly wrote:This is a great idea! I'm not sure where it would fit on the main page (especially if we included screenshots), but somewhere on the site for sure. Perhaps just a banner above the news which shows its title and author and the number of current comments with a link to the thread? Maybe one or two resized images from the thread as well.

Eep

It's a good idea, but the extent of functionality that Waff is suggesting is beyond the scope of a basic forum-to-main page parser. I would further suggest that to do anything that required a great deal more effort from the MOTW posters (such as the making of banners to a template) would be a no-no: for me, at least, MOTW is something I do under sufferance, having tried to get rid of that responsibility quite a long time ago :P (it's better now I only have to do it once every three weeks, thanks to the efforts of Jethro and MMAN, which are much appreciated).
Life is what you make of it.