ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Hellscrag.net definitely to close

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2009, 23:19

I don't think I have something to take anymore and also

Hellscrag wrote:I don't want anybody to go to the effort of saving all of the previous MOTW discussions from the old forum. Trust me, it isn't worth the time that will take!

there aren't any :gabe moment: MOTW posts of mine that I can laugh at so I think it's all fine in my opinion.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010, 22:38

If there was any doubt in my mind before, the recent expensive repair to my PC has cemented my thinking that Hellscrag.net is an expense that I don't need. As such, I have instructed my web host not to renew the domain when it expires in February.

I am downloading a copy of the old forum database as an SQL file, so the information within it won't be lost completely... but it won't be accessible without somebody installing the relevant version of phpBB and remounting the database.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010, 23:25

no problem.. :tup:

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010, 00:05

it's a pity, because your site was one of the best "portfolio sites" I've seen. so well layed out, different to anything i'd seen before, looked great but minimalist in a way; no flashy jscript, nothing beyond an excellent use of text, borders and background.

I think conceptual grandness applies to your site! :lol: you did well with what you had.

but yeah, *grabs everything worth grabbing and bails*
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010, 03:52

I guess this means the Team USP site will be gone too? Not that anything was going on with Team USP, but I guess this would definitely ruin any chance of seeing future BfNP stuff.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010, 04:07

You guys act like these things can't ever be put back up.

He's simply disabling the website, not taking his hard drive out back, shooting it with a magnetic mass driver, pissing on it, and lighting the remains on fire before shoving it all into an artillery cannon and firing it into the English Channel.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010, 04:27

It could happen.

For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010, 09:47

Can't you simply move all that stuff over to unrealsp.org? It's going to generate little to no traffic anyway, so...
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010, 15:19

You may want to keep the domain and just drop the hosting package. Granted if you ever wanted to there's nothing stopping you from putting the content back up at any time but there's no guarantees on getting the domain name once you release it. If there are no doubts otherwise just let the whole thing go.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010, 19:00

zYnthetic wrote:You may want to keep the domain and just drop the hosting package. Granted if you ever wanted to there's nothing stopping you from putting the content back up at any time but there's no guarantees on getting the domain name once you release it. If there are no doubts otherwise just let the whole thing go.

It's a good suggestion, but I don't intend ever to re-register the name. I'm very, very tired of the "Hellscrag" moniker. :P

Lightning Hunter wrote:I guess this means the Team USP site will be gone too? Not that anything was going on with Team USP, but I guess this would definitely ruin any chance of seeing future BfNP stuff.

I'll probably create a version of the Team UnrealSP site on the UnrealSP.Org domain, yes.

sana wrote:Can't you simply move all that stuff over to unrealsp.org? It's going to generate little to no traffic anyway, so...

I haven't yet decided whether to carve myself out a personal site here at UnrealSP.Org. Since I fund the site myself, I certainly wouldn't feel guilty about doing it, and I like having access to unconditional image hosting.

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010, 03:22

So be it...things evolve and change. I made sure I grabbed a few goodies for safe keeping... :lol: 8)
Old as Dirt

User avatar Diehard
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010, 05:47

I want to repeat what i wrote earlyer, so i am doing an urgent request to hand the forums database over to me, so i can host the archive.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010, 12:24

The sql contains more than posts.
Not to be taken personally but even though USP doesn't exactly have a privacy policy a move such as this would only set an example that users' public, private, and personal information submitted to the site can be circulated at any time.
Of course it can be though. USP isn't a business nor are there any legal agreements to uphold but even unsaid the ethics involved are taken as common law and often taken for granted until it actually becomes a reality. It's just a matter of trust that could throw the shadow of doubt over future activities.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010, 18:51

zynthetic has set out, very articulately, the kind of reservations I would have about this. I would prefer to retain control of the information.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010, 19:59

Hellscrag wrote:zynthetic has set out, very articulately, the kind of reservations I would have about this. I would prefer to retain control of the information.

Logical approach.
But if only the hosting is a problem (cost of domainname and hosting itself), why not take a free host? I have had forums on free host for years but had to quit because of bandwidth and storage restrictions, but these days the allowance is usually more than sufficient for relatively small site and forum.

Previous Next