Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[released][ut] SP2D - Singleplayer in 2D

Public forum for discussion of kea et al's SP2D project.

Moderators: Frieza, GTD-Carthage, kea

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: [released][ut] SP2D - Singleplayer in 2D

Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012, 21:20

I just had fun jumping over their bolts instead :) Also I was playing on 115% speed lol. I wish there was a way to play the last three levels on Unreal difficulty and without the scoreboard being resetted (it's intentional the fact that you lose all weapons there?). Wasn't the difficulty-reverting bug caused by cutscenes squashed?
ImageImage

Bleeder91<NL>
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012, 11:53

Tryed to change the crosshair to the green one, became a black square instead. My bad or..?

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012, 21:23

I think my heart almost stopped when I saw the announcement. Certainly going to be having a fun time tonight.
StalwartUK

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012, 03:03

Played through. The turbulent history of the mod does shows through in certain aspects like the map quality; there's no real duds, but the first couple and last few levels are the only ones that really felt like they were fully taking advantage of the unique features a 2D perspective allows (as well as being the strongest visually). There's also a level part way through that seemed to have a couple of ways to get stuck and one even seemed to be intentional based on the message that appears, but maybe I missed something. The 2D perspective provides some interesting twists to the UT weapons; weapons that are normally difficult to use due to 3D design (such as the Biorifle) become much more powerful in 2D. There are one or two imbalances as a result though, for instance, the Pulse Gun secondary is useless because it normally does less damage but lets you aim easier, but in this the primary fire is far superior. With UT weapons being the norm the fact you acquire a Stinger is also kind of odd. There's are also some bugs, but others have already covered them.

As I suggested earlier, while the middle levels are mostly a bit straightforward the beginning and ending sections are excellent and really make use of the new perspective to provide new set-pieces and designs that couldn't really be done as well in 3D, as well as showing it's potential for future mods using it. It does almost feel like the pack is held back a bit by the default Unreal stuff and player movement, and would really shine with some new enemies [spoiler](I guess there are the "tanks"; I was amused when the Left4Dead Tank theme came on when they attacked)[/spoiler] or a player character with different control/abilities but I guess the mod has had enough difficulties during production :) .
Formerly Mman

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012, 06:14

I took the liberty and uploaded, no directory structure in this "zip" file, just the files.

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=07A ... yzLOJyU1Ng
Last edited by redeye on 07 Oct 2012, 02:39, edited 1 time in total.
Just ban everyone

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012, 18:47

Moved to SP2D Public forum and stickied.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012, 20:03

Realy cool mod. Graphics and gameplay are amazing.

You could skip the laser section in Outpost 3E7. Dunno, if this is intended. And I could see the eightball lock crosshair in the middle of the screen, one time also the sniperrifle zoom crosshair (when fov was changed). To avoid this, you could copy postrender(Canvas) code from OldSkoolBASEHUD to sp2dHUD and comment out the line PawnOwner.Weapon.PostRender(Canvas). Beside of that, I didn't encounter any bugs and unbalances on my walkthrough on medium difficulty.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012, 23:22

Few tweaks. Seeking rockets should start seeking within player view, sniper rifle should have an additional thing (laser thing to aim properly) else it's not a sniper rifle but a rifle - (you can't aim with it?) and other things... These are the ones I remember. (I'm just saying as everyone seem to say things like this)

But overall, I LOVED IT! God, haven't had so much fun in a game in years like with this.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012, 00:01

Qtit, perhaps you would be interested in improving SP2D's code base for a more polished release? :) The project needs a dedicated coder for things like these, and I believe you'd make the perfect match!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012, 04:55

Pissed off that I'm so busy I can't play it right now.

btw Is there going to be a patch forthcoming to fix the issues mentioned in this thread?

After a hectic patrol in the polar regions goes to hell,

Totally taking this as an Unreal2 reference even if it wasn't intended as such :P
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar StalwartUK

Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012, 02:14

Okay got two problems for you guys. First of all I can't hear any music and two I'm not sure if I'm playing the right maps, the flyby level doesn't work and I think there's an intro but it puts me straight onto the first playable level. Any suggestions?
StalwartUK

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012, 02:37

StalwartUK wrote:Okay got two problems for you guys. First of all I can't hear any music and two I'm not sure if I'm playing the right maps, the flyby level doesn't work and I think there's an intro but it puts me straight onto the first playable level. Any suggestions?

The flyby level isn't connected to the main pack - it's just an Unreal-style flyby. The first, actual map in the pack is SP2D-Snow2. (SP2D-Intro is actually a misnomer.) Are you attempting to open the maps via console instead of the Oldskool interface?

Secondly, Oldskool seems to interfere quite a lot with SP2D's music regardless of whether you use its music player interface or not. Try unchecking (or checking and then unchecking) the 'Force Music' checkbox inside Oldskool's music player.

Kaka

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012, 11:23

Wow, cnogratulations guys! Will try it later in the evening.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012, 22:47

I've played the first two maps. Good fun, not without its bugs but nothing showstopping so far. I'm finding the 2D combat quite challenging - Tentacles become much harder to beat than they are in 3D! The design of the second map was beautiful, but some of the jumping challenges were a pain in the arse...
Life is what you make of it.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012, 22:50

sana wrote:Qtit, perhaps you would be interested in improving SP2D's code base for a more polished release? :) The project needs a dedicated coder for things like these, and I believe you'd make the perfect match!

Well... I'm considering it :D

And I think we could try making it coop compatible.

Previous Next