Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

20/11/2017 - "Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant" by Hellscrag

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 20/11/2017 - "Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant" by Hellscrag

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017, 19:11

Map Title: Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant
Author: Mike "Hellscrag" Wilberforce
Filename: Vacillations.unr
Music Files: None

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U98lWJj6RE

Synopsis: A homeless person trying to live in a Victorian city wakes up, and soon discovers that strange things are afoot tonight...

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 20/11/2017 - "Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant" by Hellscrag

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017, 19:12

My old comment:

As I said at the time it's my favourite of the first speedmapping contest maps (although Waffnuffly's finished version of The Last Fortress may have edged it out now, but that wasn't done at the time); it manages to pull off a unique theme with a fitting story included, and the gameplay relies on less-used items and weapons that makes it original and challenging on higher settings.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017, 19:36

Hellscrag and his townships. Definitely a very cool level and impressive given the time in which it was made. Mike always had a level of restraint in his mapwork, maybe because he had more of an appreciation for a sense of location over everything. This level is very striking as a result, although all his levels share that sense of "place."

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017, 21:32

Some of the best architecture on the engine. It's staggering how much detail Scrag crammed into this map, especially given node limits and the tendency for complex brushwork to make the BSP tree shit iself in an unholy firestorm. I don't recall any issues in this one, either.

If only an entire city could have been built to this level of detail! Of course, it would have taken years, so I'm satisfied with what we've got :)

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017, 23:46

Buff Skeleton wrote:Some of the best architecture on the engine.

Really? You do me great credit, although I'm not entirely sure it's justified!

I suppose it does have one of the most famous crates in UnrealSP.Org history.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017, 23:56

Hellscrag wrote:...
I suppose it does have one of the most famous crates in UnrealSP.Org history.

And the! most surprising and fitting sound effect anouncing some kind of arrival. My God, that was one hell of a surprise. :shock:

User avatar Bombadilian
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord
Location: STILL hanging around the back of the Rikers wreck, wondering what the hell that buzzing noise is.

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 10:57

I seem to remember playing this but thanks lo my tendency to play Unreal whilst inebriated it escapes me.
Really must give it a try though as since I read Scrag's walkthrough (something I didn't need to do, of course) it's always seemed to me that Unreal has had much the same mesmerising effect on him as it has to me, and I'd like to see what someone like that comes up with in Unreal Ed.
"If that bitch in Cell 4A keeps looking at me funny, I swear I'm going to rip out her larynx!"

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017, 11:08

Bombadilian wrote:I seem to remember playing this but thanks lo my tendency to play Unreal whilst inebriated it escapes me.
Really must give it a try though as since I read Scrag's walkthrough (something I didn't need to do, of course) it's always seemed to me that Unreal has had much the same mesmerising effect on him as it has to me, and I'd like to see what someone like that comes up with in Unreal Ed.

You will enjoy it, I guarantee it!

My past comments still apply of course:-

Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant is an awesome single player map that stands out as being both very well made and unique. It's true that the level of polish makes this release look like a professional product. And in a way you feel like you're in a new game, too!
It did kind of remind me of Illhaven when I first started to play the level, but after a while it didn't remind me of that classic mappack anymore. The Victorian theme here takes over completely.
The atmosphere is, to me, the best aspect of this map. It is a great achievement that the author was able to have a pretty humorous storytelling while maintaining a seriously spooky mood.
"That's a queer device... looks like some kind o' musket..."
I felt excited as I moved on and the tension builds up even after hell breaks loose during that defining moment at the docks! The moment the atmosphere of this map reaches its logical conclusion for me is inside the sewers: man I freaked out in there! And I even got a fright during my second playthrough just yesterday! Damn pupae and... bloblets! The latter surprised me by attacking me even as I was retreating on the ladder! :B But I was expecting the Slith the second time round ;)
And then there's that final involving the Infernal Machine... very good, very stressful gameplay! I always sort of go into panick mode despite myself, if my second playthrough is any indication. Ha! You run away from the Skaarj by crossing that precarious bridge of planks high above the ground only to find yourself ambushed by pupae! All in all, this is quite a hard map and even on my second playthrough I died once during the final fight (damn SkaarjAngelCommander!).
About that Infernal Machine: great design, and it is such a pleasure to be able to see it in full motion without suffering any framerate drops (thanks to my new rig)!
On my first playthrough, this map also appeared to be a rather long one as it took me over an hour to complete it; evidently (and apart from the fact that I died a few times the first time round), as I have already stated, I enjoy taking my time in order to immerse myself in the game. My second playthrough took about three quarters of an hour as I mostly already knew the level but I still applied the same "roleplaying" approach.
And yes I found all the DP upgrades :)
"Premium Gut Rot" ale is an excellent touch!
Hellscrag's classic docks touch...
The foghorn moment...
The dark, foreboding feel of the Victorian setting...

Hellscrag's best map as of now. The one that made me consider that he had joined the "leet" designers, if you'll pardon the expression!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017, 22:37

Some of the finest maps ever, and I'd say the very last one that had that "classic ancient custom release for Unreal" feel to it; you know the kind of feeling back in year 1999/2000 when you figured out custom maps were a thing and the first thing you'd play were Alshar/Illhaven/Shrakitha and you were amazed about the fact of playing more Unreal maps. This level always looked like to me a mix of Illhaven and Shrakita (map1).
I also noticed how those Doom 1 style control levers lol.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017, 23:42

Sat42 wrote:Hellscrag's best map as of now. The one that made me consider that he had joined the "leet" designers, if you'll pardon the expression!

And likely to be the last for the time being. The truth is that I was working on something new a couple of years back, but since I became a parent I simply don't have the time. I'm motivated to progress it, but I can't!

Very frustrating.

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017, 04:06

Sell your baby to make maps

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017, 11:27

Hellscrag wrote:
Sat42 wrote:Hellscrag's best map as of now. The one that made me consider that he had joined the "leet" designers, if you'll pardon the expression!

And likely to be the last for the time being. The truth is that I was working on something new a couple of years back, but since I became a parent I simply don't have the time. I'm motivated to progress it, but I can't!

Very frustrating.

I understand - but hey congrats, being a parent is also a true adventure! Everything in its own time, if you still have that itch in the near future, I'm sure you'll find the time to do something - kids grow fast and won't always need your constant attention ;)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.