UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

31/12/2007 - "Lil' Spire" by Silver-Serpent

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 31/12/2007 - "Lil' Spire" by Silver-Serpent

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2007, 14:07

Map Title: Lil' Spire
Author: Silver-Serpent, Tonnberry and DavidM
Filename: NP09Silver.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/6642550

ImageImage

Synopsis: ONPGuy enters a series of canyons and gets exploring, as you do. The presence of the Mercenaries increases...
Last edited by Semfry on 05 Jan 2008, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2007, 14:52

Hm... I remember the title of the map, but not the map itself... :/ (screenies don't really help)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2007, 15:29

This map was the first to feature a cut scene that you could actually move in, therefore I instinctively let go of the "move forward" key when it started... unfortunately, moving forward is also essential if you don't want to fall a very long way.

Aside from that, the map is pleasant but unremarkable, and is riddled with BSP errors but at least features the debut of the leet NP-FOD.umx.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2007, 20:47

I remember the running sequence. I got killed the first time too, like Scrag, because I didn't know I could move.

Overall it was an okay map. But like Scrag says, it doesn't really stand out and can be forgotten easily amongst the backdrop of ONP's more iconic maps.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2008, 00:32

Frieza approves of this map. And yes, I also got killed the first time that cutscene started. It's pretty cool though. I also liked the sadistic shoot the nali with the laserbeam part.

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2008, 07:47

Level got fun after a while, gotta love that rotating green thingy in the sky.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Ultimate Weasel
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2008, 21:35

The bridge got me on my first time too, although I think a flashing purple "OMGNF RUN!11//" on the screen would not have been an improvement. :P

It was a nice little map. Not that great or memorable, but it was fun.
Hellscrag wrote:SKAARJ BERSERKER: Come in, Terran, come in! Make yourself at home next to the plasma fire. Care for an urn of mulled Nali blood?

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2008, 23:38

Hmm, those shots doesn't ring a bell at all, although I do remember the falling (shoot) bridge cutscene. I was obviously killed there as I was unaware that I'm able to move. I also remember something about ship and crucified nali being shot by a laser beam nearby, but I don't remember if it was this map.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2008, 13:25

The map made by the author who should have released Hard Crash but he disappeared again :shake:

The main problem of this map is it being forgettable, and I can't make my mind up why it is.

Let's see the build. The architecture is on the average side. Nothing really spectacular apart the work put to make the entire canyon. I remember some cube corridors in the Stone Titan's archway.

Texturing and Lighting are good and there's no problem (I don't know why the bottom of the canyon is blue though, but I think it's for shadowy effects).
For sounds, I remember various wildwife noises and the music which is awesome (Fight of Destiny), fitting perfectly the level (although the same song is used way too much. More Resurrect please!).

Gameplay, as quite every ONP map, was just easy as hell. The Skaarj don't seem to pose any challenge. Just see them, they spot you, retreat back and fill them with DP shots, Pulse shots or rockets. Sniper shots as well.
The Tarydium room was cramped though, and two Skaarj Warriors had all the advantages to take you down. Unless you going behind one of them, ready to gib him with grenades.
The only exception being the group of Skaarj Gunners over the unreachable cliff in the canyon. Ok, the Sniper Rifle is always cheap as usual.

The StoneTitan was pretty laughable. You didn't even need to drop down in his arena. Kill the Skaarj you see and he'll come out.
Rest goes like this:
1)Use your awesome and infinite DP - already this is a cheap weapon, but it being able to never run out of ammo is just too much and game-breaking. Luckily the DP powerups are available only in the MonsterSmash gametype - against the leet boss.
2)Go backward to avoid incoming rocks.
3)Repeat this over 10, 20, 30 or so times: Stone Titan is dead.
Without entering the arena you can benefit of ammo you may left behind (it's a point of no return) or that you have just wasted on the boss.
Then there's a SuperHealth to make your life even easier, in the arena... 8)

The canyon was awesome. Nice design and I loved the scene with the falling bridge. ONPHomo needed surely a line here (I don't remember one from him in this map). Fail in the run and you fall in some ground that if you touch you die instantly. God I hate these stuff, even if there's nothing you can do then.

Gibbed Mercenaries, very easy secrets to find, jumping on stones over a pool, etc...

Nice level, but it's way too short. Still don't get why it's forgotten. Not too many lame lines from Duke Nukem's long lost brother :o
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2008, 03:57

I didn't manage to comment on the last map, but most stuff was covered anyway. I didn't get around to a commentary again (I'll get back to it soon). Note that I essentially broke the scripting at the end (as the Merc is supposed to get slaughtered) :) .

This level is quite simple, however, the whole end section, with the cave that contains the "Lil' spire" and the cliff side bridge bombing, was always one of more memorable parts of ONP for me. The first use of FOD.umx also works in its favor :) .

This level has a couple of ugly BSP issues though, in that they directly effect gameplay, like the wall you can walk through that I show in the video, plus at the end there's a hidden item that you should be able to walk to, but that requires a rocket jump because of an invisible wall along the path.

I mentioned for another level how I find enemies with arbitrarily altered health annoying, and the Titan here is a prime example of that (without mentioning the fact its placement seems kind of odd, although I guess if you go with the theory of them being Skaarj controlled to some degree it can make sense).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2008, 12:36

I thought the Lil' Spire was the small mountain on the left at the beginning.

As to the word Lil', well, to be strictly grammatically correct it probably ought to be Li'l' :P

Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2008, 13:30

Mman wrote:I mentioned for another level how I find enemies with arbitrarily altered health annoying, and the Titan here is a prime example of that...

Even the second StoneTitan you encounter in NMFighters has his health halved (1145 to be quite exact).

There are many creatures with altered properties in ONP.
ImageImage