Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

07/01/2008 - "Genesis outpost" by Derdak2rot

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2008, 20:34

Zephon's second map. One of my favourite ones in the pack.

Not much happens here, apart yourself having fun with some Skaarj and the ice theme... ice and a bit of cel shaded theme...

Ok, it's just MH-Hellfire without the evil feel. Red to blue, fire to ice (heh! :D) and Skaarj statue to some tube-shaped brushes. Architecture and lighting (ok, the "night" thing is definitely wrong in a SP pack. Fortunately it's done right) are good, and much more cooler than HellFire in my opinion. Can't say anything about sounds as I don't remember how is used here (apart the ISV-Kran music and the wrong choice of Guardian. The second songsection of the first track was right for the final fight).
Texturing, on the other hand, creates a cel shaded-feel. Just my opinion here, but it still look cooler than Hellfire.

Gameplay is pretty. Fights aren't hard or easy, and there are tons of ammo to be used here (best time to use your spammy ASMD).
It may be hard for first timers... they see the first Skaarj feigndeath on the ground with that frozen skin. Player thinks he died for cold. Instead he's a living, normal Skaarj Assassin with that frozen skin.
I don't really like the choice, but it's nice for a change; at least you see then the normal Ice Skaarj, cool than ever.
Green Skaarj Warriors should have not been used here honestly. They kill the whole "blue enemies" thing. They aren't right for this kind of place.
So, Ice Skaarj > Skaarj Warriors. And that's pretty true, being the Ice Skaarj alternate versions of the Skaarj Warriors with a different skin and the immunity against frozen damage.

Brute and Pupae are happy enough. Boss, being completely predictable if you ever played HellFire (well-known Scarred One was the MH version's final fight), is incredibly easy and again, I just complain about the music choice again :P

The map itself is the usual "press a button to open a door which leads forward" thing. Just like Hellfire. Or more clearly, a MH map for Single Player with a few enemies. It got even the boss at the end! :o

Finally some nitrogen. Nice to die in a pool of cold water which makes you swim REALLY fast! (I'm one of those guy who like every water pool to be explored. I'm soooo angry with UT3 because the 80% if the water here kills you for whatever reasons. Say "adios" to levels like Bluff where you were able to explore anything. K, let's stop with Off topic).

Enjoyable map. Much better than its MH counterpart :tup:
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2008, 19:46

I never knew it was actually MH-hellfire. I've heard about that map before, but I guess I've never played it...

Time for a new MOTW tho...

Previous