Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

09/05/2011 - "Self Destruct" by Mister Prophet

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 09/05/2011 - "Self Destruct" by Mister Prophet

Post Posted: 09 May 2011, 13:24

Map Title: Self Destruct
Author: Mister Prophet
Filename: xidiaes-map1-selfdestruct
Music File: None

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExuTnKSvDpI

Sypnosis: Everything is going to blow up and Spencer has to escape! Fortunately, there's someone who is helping you...

Discuss!
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 09/05/2011 - "Self Destruct" by Mister Prophet

Post Posted: 09 May 2011, 13:30

Not much to say since it is an intro map.
Though this was the first time that I tried one of the "special" SP mappacks (ONP, 7B, Xidia, etc), and wow, I was totally impressed by the build quality.
ImageImage

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 09 May 2011, 14:21

Great, atmospheric, introductical awesomeness. Mr Prophet oozes more professionalism in his stuff than any other packs I've ever come across.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 09 May 2011, 17:17

UBerserker wrote:Though this was the first time that I tried one of the "special" SP mappacks (ONP, 7B, Xidia, etc), and wow, I was totally impressed by the build quality.

You played The Escape before Xidia?

A good start for The Escape, with the link with the original Xidia established right away for familiarity, along with good use of making earlier environments feel different, including with some great looking new areas.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 May 2011, 17:34

Started with the Escape. Xidia Gold still had the Outpost Pheonix save bug at that time so I decided to save it for last.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 09 May 2011, 22:13

Oh. One of mine.

I remember putting this together very quickly. I think the video shows that pretty accurately. No room in the Northern Peak really makes any sense. I was pretty much making this stuff up as I went along back then. Hallways and rooms with industrial colors and steam. Nothing really practical about this section of Xidia. I know I often do the high ceiling thing but that one room at the end is maybe a bit overboard. My voice acting is blessedly in small supply here, and I really regret adding those Spontaneous-Wall-Of-Text-Attacks in my released SPs. You can see why we gave Crowley radio com audio in Seven Bullets. The "mission update" messages were just tiring to read.

Things I liked about this was that this was the first time I seriously used Hourences' new Xidia texture package. I also like what I did with sounds and the lighting here. Was going for a Opposing Force kinda vibe with the perspective reversal.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 09 May 2011, 22:34

I think it's just to the right in the top-right shot, but I distinctly recall that the water that was supposedly flooding that hallway kinda stopped hilariously in a mounded fashion. That sticks in my memory quite a lot. Other things I remember was the bridge with the Red Nemesis standing about with a few other skaarj, and something I and my sister both will never forget was Spence's "My transmitter's beepin'" quote that was thrown in when Cray first contacted him. Almost on tier with ONP guy when it comes to how comical it sounded, but it still felt more legitimate as a Spencer line since he was a moderately amusing character to begin with.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

Post Posted: 10 May 2011, 03:51

Jet v4.3.5 wrote:I think it's just to the right in the top-right shot, but I distinctly recall that the water that was supposedly flooding that hallway kinda stopped hilariously in a mounded fashion. That sticks in my memory quite a lot.

I wish I had a reason that could explain why the hell I did that. I really don't, other then...well, if I didn't do that the whole map from that level downward would have had to been underwater. Remember, I made this one very quickly :)

Jetv4.3.5 wrote:Other things I remember was the bridge with the Red Nemesis standing about with a few other skaarj, and something I and my sister both will never forget was Spence's "My transmitter's beepin'" quote that was thrown in when Cray first contacted him. Almost on tier with ONP guy when it comes to how comical it sounded, but it still felt more legitimate as a Spencer line since he was a moderately amusing character to begin with.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Post Posted: 12 May 2011, 04:01

For the sake of prolonging discussion about one of my maps, albeit a short/crappy one, how many people actually noticed that the Dark Lord isn't quite dead in this map? I swear, maybe a total of three people contacted me about this since 2003.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 12 May 2011, 04:09

Mister_Prophet wrote:For the sake of prolonging discussion about one of my maps, albeit a short/crappy one, how many people actually noticed that the Dark Lord isn't quite dead in this map? I swear, maybe a total of three people contacted me about this since 2003.

Say what?

EDIT: He's still....breathing :lol:
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 12 May 2011, 10:18

Jet v4.3.5 wrote:
Mister_Prophet wrote:For the sake of prolonging discussion about one of my maps, albeit a short/crappy one, how many people actually noticed that the Dark Lord isn't quite dead in this map? I swear, maybe a total of three people contacted me about this since 2003.

Say what?

EDIT: He's still....breathing :lol:

Damn, I can't see anything in the video. I'll have to restart Xidia to see this.

Could this be considered The Unreal Blooper? :B

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 12 May 2011, 13:27

The horseflies around really makes you believe he's dead.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 12 May 2011, 18:23

salsaSkaarj wrote:Damn, I can't see anything in the video. I'll have to restart Xidia to see this.

Could this be considered The Unreal Blooper? :B

It's more intentional than blooper, to be honest. Originally the emphasis on this was going to be made more clear with a follow up battle at the end of Spencer's game, but I decided to use a Queen fight instead and scrapped the idea of a surviving Dark Lord coming back. But the decision to leave him breathing was still conscious. Gotta remember that at the time me and Hourences were still planning to make an "Xidia 2" on either the Unreal 2/UT2K3 engine...

Still, it always surprised me how many people never noticed :)

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 13 May 2011, 03:50

far out. Time to boot up xidia again :P
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 13 May 2011, 10:15

TheIronKnuckle wrote:far out. Time to boot up xidia again :P

Yes, my current installation is being flooded with all kinds of mods and mappacks and doesn't behave properly anymore.
Time for a new installation and Xidia will be the first to be played, if only for the undead Darlord. :wink:

Next