UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

04/02/2008 - "Temple of Pain" by Jago

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: 04/02/2008 - "Temple of Pain" by Jago

Post Posted: 04 Feb 2008, 22:54

Map Title: Temple of Pain
Author: Dan "Jago" Naoumov
Filename: Dark_2.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/7187668

Image Image

Synopsis: The player enters a dismal temple occupied by Skaarj and Krall.

Discuss!
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Feb 2008, 22:56

There are some weird lighting choices in this one. I was ghosting through the map looking for screenshot opportunities, and I found myself in a corridor lit an even green colour by these ugly green-blue flames.

Aside from that, there's really not a lot to say about this one!

Sorry about the widescreen pics. Next time I do one of these, I'll drop down into a 4:3 display mode.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Feb 2008, 14:10

For the playthrough I had to get the actual Dnspu map instead of Darkside, so it may be a little different.

I've always found the Dnspu series fun as a straightforward blast-fest, this is probably my least favorite in that regard though, as it seems to have less interesting combat set-ups than the other maps in the series. The room where the two Skaarj Lords attack (the second pic) is pretty much the only memorable area in this map (it also has the best architecture), beyond that it's mostly just corridors.

The storyline of the real Dnspu map (as opposed to the stuck together Darkside one) had you doing something like finding a mystical flame that could save the Nali. The fact the map ends just as you (apparently) get to the door that leads to the flame is kind of a piss-take.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Feb 2008, 18:21

Never played this one, but looking at the video, it looks good to me! It's pretty linear, but in the right place for a "build up" map. The artist uses the sense of going "upward" to eventually lead to an escape, which I think is a good way if your going to make a linear map. I can only hope that the next map in the pack does include a lot of puzzles/challenges for the player.

I'll have to install the pack sometime this week and give it a shot in UT. :tup:

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2008, 03:16

Hellscrag wrote:Sorry about the widescreen pics. Next time I do one of these, I'll drop down into a 4:3 display mode.

Showing off your new system are you ......I'd do the same 8) :tup:
Old as Dirt

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2008, 19:20

Thanks again Scrag for doing this one for me (was out of town; wedding anniversary! 8) )
I played the map and I thought I had taken shots, but apparently did not (or can't find them :P )
However.. altho it's kind of "simplistic" setup (don't get me wrong), linear to to speak, it still has the Unreal feeling to the whole map... which I like. I expected more of the fights (like.. going around the corner to meet a Skaarj, and while fighting him getting another behind you or so). Architecture is fine, Unreal-ish, nothing too fancy but also not n00b-ish IMO. Would classify this as an average+ map. :tup:

Could use some work.. would be perfect for a redux!
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2008, 20:12

Technical execution is very poor. Both of my pics show specific design weaknesses: The first pic shows unaligned wall textures (and polys not merged) on the staircase brush, and the second pic shows poorly lit flame textures. Typical "n00b mapper" mistakes. Respectfully, I have to disagree with Darkon: I would describe the build as below average to poor.

Jago evidently learned quite a bit whilst building these maps, but even DNSPU4, whilst an improvement, has a number of similar problems, particularly where lighting is concerned.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2008, 22:11

I have to admit... it's pretty poor. I didn't look for those details when i played it nor did I check it in the video playthrough; But yeah.. the wall next to the stairs is ugly. Even I would do better on texturing that wall (but then.. I'm more concerned if something will look right in the end than "throwing some stuff together, dump a texture on it and move on")

So .. I agree with your statements, Scrag.. and unfortunately I need to say it's not average, but poor. :tdown: :/

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2008, 23:46

Crap, I forgot to review Hellscrag's map! Awesome Darkon with idea changing! :-D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's not much to say about this DNSPU map... Dude, Nine Steps Pwns U.

Ok, let's say it. The author tries to make his map very close to the feel of Unreal. It seemed to be that in the past; now the feel is closer to "some of those ultra-old Unreal custom maps with the Dasa or NaliC music".
I lost the count how many old levels used those two tracks.

DNSPU is all about doing a bunch of steps in some places, just for the sake of making and playing another Unreal map. I remember there was no story between all of the levels, it was just a pack of playable stuff.

DN seems to be one of those beginner dudes that try to be a little better than any other newbies. Yes, architecture is extremely low-poly, but it's by no means bad.
Classic narrow places, crosses, torches... and metal boxes. Whatever, these latter don't fit at all here. Just average here.

Now, architecture's best mates are textures and lighting.
For the first one, there's repetition and ugly alignment in some places - no comparison to the Skaarj base of The Sky Shard. Occasional Vandora pic, as usual. The day finally came when new people started to choose new kind of textures and custom ones too. Boobs FTL. Mediocre as best.

Now, lighting. It is terrible yet funny to look at. The torches' flames demand "I need more power" (so, in this case, let the flames be unlit), while others demand "The map's author don't know about blue/purple flame textures. We're WEIRD!!1" (no need to explain).
And this was just in every map made by him, probably with the exception of the Skaarj Laboratory.
This map's last pathway FTW! :o

Talking about sounds, here's a small resume: WarGate.umx + AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHRGH + elevator noises. Not much to say about this as well.

So, total result in build? Average architecture + Mediocre texturing + poor lighting = a 3/10. The best mates help the architecture to fail.

Gameplay is another well-known story. Okay, someone may abuse the narrow corridors in order to have an easy life against the Skaarj. The Krall are still loser, just strafe a little and with your DP is all set.
Maybe DN would have made everything cooler if there was no weapons (just only the DPPUp) at all. The last fight is really interesting with the first weapon (fancy difficulty here)... everyone is forced to do that in order to make the gameplay much more interesting.
Not even Unreal difficulty (I don't remember if DN used filters in his levels) has some serious challenge and some funny minutes of shooting.

Rarely, is possible that the lever to open the Skaarj room becomes bugged. The first time I played this level this happened.

Yeah, a map which may be used to train your gameplay skills. Not by much anyway. Enjoy metal boxes and... You may be blessed :P
Last edited by UB_ on 10 Feb 2008, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2008, 23:57

UBerserker wrote:Crap, I forgot to review Hellscrag's map!

How DARE you?

UBerserker wrote:Boobs FTL.

Possible sig material there... :P

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008, 00:37

I must agree with UBerserker.
The pack is not that bad as most of the people say (the worst in this pack are probably the bugs which can make maps stuck in coop seasons and there are a lot of them), although really the connection does not make much sense (it would maybe make more of a sense if these were connected through real portals or something simmilar, or some explanation story between the map transitions, this way it is connected can be explained only that if you think in the mind that certain level's happenings happen more in the future).

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008, 02:17

Was Darkside even "made" by the original author? Each of the Dnspu maps have a separate story (even if it was only in the readme), and therefore it doesn't make much sense for them to just be hacked together into one pack. It sounds like Darkside was some sort of compilated Coop package or something.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008, 15:12

UBerserker wrote:Awesome Darkon which idea changing! :-D

What did I do?! :)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008, 16:07

Darkon wrote:

Hellscrag changed your opinion! :-)

Every DNSPU map is made by the same author and there's no connectivity between them. DarkSide is just a re-pack of all the SP maps he made.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008, 16:21

UBerserker wrote:
Darkon wrote:

Hellscrag changed your opinion! :-)

oooh ah, yes....

Next