Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

29/04/2013 - "DemonCrater" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 29/04/2013 - "DemonCrater" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013, 19:09

Map Title: DemonCrater
Author: Juan Pancho Eekels
Filename: DCrater.unr
Music Files: Crater.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJsf19BVzoM

Synopsis: Prisoner 849 has finally reached the Skaarj Mothership. Time to find a way to get inside.

Discuss!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 29/04/2013 - "DemonCrater" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013, 19:40

Of all the retail/custom Unreal maps, this is where the Invisibility shines the most. Sneak to the lighting generator room first, so you can fight Pupae and Skaarj not in the darkness (otherwise dangerous).
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013, 19:48

UBerserker wrote:Of all the retail/custom Unreal maps, this is where the Invisibility shines the most. Sneak to the lighting generator room first, so you can fight Pupae and Skaarj not in the darkness (otherwise dangerous).

Hah, yeah. This is pretty much THE map I use Invis in. Otherwise I forget I even have it.

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013, 20:56

This map is like, my favorite map to play MCoop on...I dunno why, just is.
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013, 06:17

Waffnuffly wrote:
UBerserker wrote:Of all the retail/custom Unreal maps, this is where the Invisibility shines the most. Sneak to the lighting generator room first, so you can fight Pupae and Skaarj not in the darkness (otherwise dangerous).

Hah, yeah. This is pretty much THE map I use Invis in. Otherwise I forget I even have it.

HAHA so THAT's what the invisibility is for XD
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013, 13:50

Sniping that mercenary that was hanging out outside the mothership was coool.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013, 14:20

Anreel wrote:Sniping that mercenary that was hanging out outside the mothership was coool.

It's a Skaarj Trooper armed with an Eightball actually.

Anyway you cannot access the crater, the door in the basement isn't even a mover (solid brush instead). Though outside there's the other end of said door, but I guess the crater exploration was never planned (no known info on this).
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 01 May 2013, 01:23

I always found that detail a bit strange examining this level in Ed. It's almost as if this idea that the crater be accessible was seeded in the layout, but never realized. Looking at it from a mapper's perspective...perhaps the author didn't know what to do the exterior. Who knows.

As for the level itself, I've changed my opinion on it frequently over the years. In my first playthrough I had a very grave impression of this area and the eventual outlook onto the mothership itself. Subsequent playthroughs I've often blown through this and Basement so quickly that I rarely given much more thought to them. I will say that the construction of the crate room and the overall lighting always seemed a bit odd to me, technical wise. It's obvious the crater itself was the main attraction here, with the other rooms less so.

I do like that you revisit the crater during the day in the ending extro, but I never got why they used a big energy shield over the escape pod canal instead of a big door. Might have looked cool to have it open during the ending sequence. First time I played the level I had no idea what I was looking at.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 01 May 2013, 01:55

A really short level, but it does a good job introducing the Mothership with the view outside (although just warping in feels a bit anti-climatic), and the starting part has a nice "stealth" feeling that isn't really done anywhere else in the game, and provides a nice contrast when all hell breaks loose after turning on the generator.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 01 May 2013, 02:02

Yeah warping in was kind of a letdown; could have been cool if there was a huge catwalk that extended out to the ship and you had to actually march to the center yourself. With or without combat along the way, the time it would have taken to get there would have really expressed how big and imposing the mothership was. Probably not technically feasible for most machines of the time, though.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 01 May 2013, 08:34

Why walk when you can warp.

But this map seemed better in coop for some reason, on loaths server. The modified DK maps and those blasted little blue skaarj from akcoop.

As for playing Unreal, it was a let down of the goal for getting to the next map, dunno seemed weird.
I was calculating a much different looking , next map after seeing the ship, like another Nyleve or something.

Oh, you have to admit seeing the lights turn on was cool.
Last edited by redeye on 01 May 2013, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 01 May 2013, 14:03

UBerserker wrote:It's a Skaarj Trooper armed with an Eightball actually.

Oh, memory failed me.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 03 May 2013, 00:11

Jeezes, it's been such a long time the pictures didn't ring a bell. Now that I've seen the playthrough it's all coming back, also that I didn't like the ending of the map at all, a bit of an anticlimax.

The invisibility? what invisibility, never worked for me - the few time I tried using that I got killed before I could switch it off.
The area was a real pain for me during the first playthrough, probably there that I discovered my hatred of dark maps.
And it took me quite a few playthroughs before I managed to use the jumpboots efficiently to reach the previously unreachable goodies at higher elevations.
The more I played this level the better I liked it - really challenging setup with lots of surprises.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 03 May 2013, 10:03

While the invisibility is on, do not shoot and do not touch any of the enemies. Do not use Flashlights as well to light them up as well. It works wonderfully with any scripted pawn.
ImageImage