Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

01/07/2013 - "Nightfall" by Chris Burgess

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 01/07/2013 - "Nightfall" by Chris Burgess

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 22:22

Map Title: Nightfall
Author: Chris Burgess
Filename: Nightfall.unr
Music Files:: K_Vision

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdNjuh7OgSU

Synopsis: You begin your journey in a valley and must find your way to the village

Discuss!
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: 01/07/2013 - "Nightfall" by Chris Burgess

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 22:47

Have played 100% sure. Cannot remember a single thing from those screenshots. MUST replay ASAP 'cause memory tells me One Day was really good.
*runs off to read review*

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 23:01

Loved this mappack.
I think this is the map before the one where you explore that white tower.
ImageImage

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 23:12

I didn't play this pack when I probably would have appreciated more. Architecturally speaking, it just doesn't hold up to packs like Zephon, Xidia, etc.
But it does have some good moments and can be grandiose at times.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013, 09:13

I'm sure that K_Vision is the music in this map...
I really enjoyed playing this mappack, though this map is probably the weaker map compared to the preceding gigantic temple. However, I did like the idea of returning to a previously visited location, and thought it was cool how the player says "Yep, that's the town I'm going to retire to...One day..."

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013, 09:57

SteadZ wrote:I'm sure that K_Vision is the music in this map...
.... and thought it was cool how the player says "Yep, that's the town I'm going to retire to...One day..."

haha yeah it's such a memorable line and I have no idea why

Love this pack. This map is alright, it's probably the weakest but it scores massive points for how you're revisiting the first level and exploring previously inaccessible areas. Such good fun. Always feels like this one finishes really fast. Probably because of Nightvision playing and pushing me forward at top speed and the relative length of this level compared to the rest of them
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013, 14:46

I remember having a really positive memory of this map pack (and still do), though when I replayed it a couple years ago as a refresh, I found it didn't come close to the idea I had in my head. The gameplay and architecture were both a lot less impressive than I remembered, including some of the biggest and best parts. That said, it's still got a warm place in my mind for nostalgia-factor.

That fourth shot... is this level the last one? That big mansion thing was interesting to look at, though it was sadly a lot less fleshed out inside than it looked.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013, 14:55

No, you can just see the white tower from the end of this map.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013, 00:00

TheIronKnuckle wrote:Love this pack. This map is alright, it's probably the weakest but it scores massive points for how you're revisiting the first level and exploring previously inaccessible areas. ...

Well... I replayed the whole mappack and realised I had completely forgotten about 98% of it. It's not at all as difficult as I would have expected but still fun. This particular map (I agree with TIK) is probably the weakest - but isn't bad as such, the other maps have so much more to offer that this one doesn't make a lasting impression. In fact I can't remember much of it expect that it was treading familiar ground, this time with some opposition included. I think (especially) the previous and the next level offer more.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013, 02:53

The most basic map after the first, but returning to the start and finally getting to go across that bridge you see right when you begin the pack is a cool concept. There could have been more to change things up here though, like some new events due to enemies taking over the place, or just some more content after crossing the bridge (or before), as it is it's mostly just backtracking with some enemies to shoot along the way. I find the "cave" that uses the metal textures in pics one and three of the first post kind of interesting though; it doesn't make any sense in realistic terms but I actually quite like it and it lends that part a unique style.
Formerly Mman

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013, 19:03

It was good, all the areas and places , just good mapping.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013, 19:12

One Day is just one of those really good examples of "the sum of all its parts." I remember finding the backtracking element regarding this map really cool and interesting, although by that design the first "visit" had to be a certain way. When people talk about what campaigns captured the essence of Unreal and what campaigns did not, I can always chime in about One Day as one of the Unreal packs that kept the spirit alive for me.

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013, 02:02

I agree with Mister_Prophet, One Day was great and it really captured the essence of Unreal. For me it's that feeling of playing a lone nobody traveling through these foreign lands with no particular goal. Yet each area soaks atmosphere and subtlety reveals more and more of a backstory which eventually unfolds in a grand finale (which was kind of weird but... ).

The maps are OK in the visual department and gameplay/combat/puzzles never really reach beyond decently good. But there's just so many tiny scripted details that make these maps so great, the sense of struggle and dread looming around most places (just counting the corpses), the mysterious cryptic translator messages revealing the backstory, the interactive townsfolk who don't dare to venture outside their sanctuary, It all added up surprisingly well to a feeling of being in an actual world instead of just playing random uberhaxsoldier500 shooting tehevilskaarj nd savingtehwurld.

But this particular map is... okay, its essentially backtracking a small segment between two larger maps, which works well for progression. The music choice is quite odd too.