Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

24/09/2013 - "Kaliber: Part2" by Juergen 'HERBy' Parnitz

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 24/09/2013 - "Kaliber: Part2" by Juergen 'HERBy' Parnitz

Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013, 16:21

Map Title: Kaliber: Part2
Author: Juergen 'HERBy' Parnitz
Filename: SP-Kaliber-Part2F.unr
Music Files: Crater.umx, Nether.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2dLAunMeBM

Synopsis: You continue your escape throughout a place embraced by lava.

Discuss!

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: 24/09/2013 - "Kaliber: Part2" by Juergen 'HERBy' Parnitz

Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013, 12:21

The screenshots didn't ring a bell although the name Kaliber did.
So I had to play it (just now).
Everything came back when playing the first part, but this second map was a blank in my memory.
So naturally I got caught by surprise in a certain room but luckily experience with other maps taught me to look ahead and I managed to force a way out just before becoming pupaefood. I don't want to spoil the fun by giving more clues because this is actually one of the only dangerous moments in the map, and well set up.
After reaching the end (an error message stating that Kaliber part3 couldn't be found) it suddenly danwed upon me that when playing previously (I read later) there was a surprise I hadn't found (without remembering which surprise) so I started doing the most logical and illogical things possible and YUP I found it.

DON'T read the review (nor watch the playthrough) before playing or too many things are given away which in fact are the best parts of this map(s).

It's actually a pity the author did't produce more stuff (or finish these maps) because visually this is quite good with a couple of nice ideas unfortunately not worked out sufficiently.

BTW play this on the hardest possible setting (UNREAL) otherwise it's a walkthrough (actually I don't know if difficulty settings are implemented - but on UNREAL there is only 1 room where the risk of dying is high).

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013, 17:03

It's okay but both the visuals and gameplay feel oddly incoherent. The level of detail is okay although it feels like an odd mix of ancient and modern with not enough time spent linking the two. The gameplay seems kind of off, it's a mix of learn by dying stuff (like the crate that falls on you as you grab the item), puzzle type encounters you are supposed to avoid, and somewhat unintuitive design, like playing a "kill me" sound around crucified Nali and then punishing you for doing so (seriously what).
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013, 13:18

This is one odd map. It's incredibly easy except the "killer crate" part (it's avoidable at least). I went through both levels on Unreal difficulty without saving once or loading the game. The architecture is in no way bad, it's perfectly average.
I tried to ghost throughout the "space" between the 3rd and 4th pics areas but I got killed by some BSP hole, lol.

Btw, the next MOTW (the final one before all the custom maps will be re-added again in the MOTW rotation) will be about a certain map you've all waited for.
ImageImage

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013, 03:19

This is the second map that seems to have been MOTW not very long ago. Is there some brain slippage here, or am I trippin out.

So go back and read my comment on it, I guess.
Just ban everyone

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013, 05:05

Keen for this next MOTW. No idea what it'll be :P (Will stock maps be thrown back into the rotation again?)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013, 10:26

TheIronKnuckle wrote:Keen for this next MOTW. No idea what it'll be :P (Will stock maps be thrown back into the rotation again?)

Stock maps were already re-added into the rotation. Their appearances have been stopped in order of getting MOTWs for the remaining custom maps (and so re-adding into the rotation all the custom maps).
ImageImage