This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

30/09/2013 - "The Triamid Ruins" by Turboman

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 30/09/2013 - "The Triamid Ruins" by Turboman

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013, 11:10

Map Title: The Triamid Ruins
Author: Turboman
Filename: tridigmap.unr
Music Files: Chizra1.umx, EndEx.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHT5i6gnzR8

Synopsis: As an archaeologist, you're assigned to explore three pyramid-shaped ruins in the middle of the ocean of an unknown moon. However, the team you were going to meet up has vanished. Are you ready to take the journey through this mysterious land?

Discuss!

User avatar AndryxaXP
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: 30/09/2013 - "The Triamid Ruins" by Turboman

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013, 14:12

Unreal beautiful temple. Turboman built the architecture of this temple so that at every step we admired all this beauty :tup: :o

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013, 14:22

Simply spectacular. One of the most relaxing maps to play, too.

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013, 17:24

Liked the intro much more than the actual map, more just a matter of taste than anything, but still very good.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013, 17:25

Great ancient structures, massive area, mystical atmosphere... it's all here. Also love the new style of architecture Turboman brought into this too with the trams and the underwater base. Those little floating orbs were cool too.
Overall, you can see why this won the 10th anniversary contest :D
Beautiful
SZ

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013, 18:35

When 4 pictures isn't enough. :P
But seriously, one of the best looking maps ever. I can't remember a single room that I just walked through without pausing to admire the architecture. Perfect exploration map. :o

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013, 23:49

Bug Horse wrote:Simply spectacular. One of the most relaxing maps to play, too.

It's funny how that works out. I remember when I played the initial version I spent soooo long just swimming from triamid to triamid, exploring and reading messages, finding weapons, killing the odd pest, listening to chizra.umx and generally chilling out.

I usually get bored of exploration maps (think massive UT sniper levels), but this one made it fun. So beautiful!
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013, 02:24

Insanely good looking map with massive amounts of detail and variety despite most areas managing to be relatively conservative poly-count wise. I like how the texture themes shift throughout while all fitting the theme, especially the orange/yellow DecayedS (I think) textures underground that I haven't seen used like this anywhere else. It has also got a ton of good exploration, and really makes you think about how the space comes together at times. I think the combat could be a bit more intense though; I don't want the level to become remotely combat focused, but I think spread out yet much more dangerous encounters would fit better than the pest slaughter it currently is. As it is the amount of guns you get feels like overkill. The fact there seems to be no actual sequence for the Squid alien genetic code integration also seems odd, unless I missed something...
Formerly Mman

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013, 02:46

I have a few complaints, but all in all it also kept the "unreal" feel, it could have been part of the original game, for some level.

All I can think is how the hell did he avoid HOM like at every turn, real good job at making it.

(just not fair is all i can say, you be spanking the unreal engine on this) \o/
Just ban everyone

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013, 05:25

Gorgeous use of colors throughout the map. I think being able to build a map like this, with such contrasts between that purple/orange sky and the blue-ish interiors, without making the map look washed-out or abrupt, is very difficult. Turbo managed to keep the balanced throughout.

As far as architecture goes, not much else to say that the others before me haven't already mentioned. Superb blend of natural- and temple-like forms. Never finished playing through this map unfortunately, but I'd like to someday!

I also found the starting point (the ship you get off from) pretty awesome.

User avatar Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013, 12:25

Mman wrote:I think the combat could be a bit more intense though; I don't want the level to become remotely combat focused, but I think spread out yet much more dangerous encounters would fit better than the pest slaughter it currently is. As it is the amount of guns you get feels like overkill.

I guess the abundance of weapons is to give you something to find while you explore rather than to have a use in combat. I do agree that the combat feels like it is there to fill the time; but how would you create more dangerous encounters without ruining the feeling of being in an abandoned temple?

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013, 16:00

I haven't finished Triamid yet but I've done about half (I think).
Up to now it hasn't let me down. Visually it's outstanding, the sense of exploration is perfect and tension is present (although it tends to wear of a little as one makes progress

But ... in agreement with other posts ... slightly more animal pests could increase tension a bit more. BTW I wrote animal pests (thereby excluding all Skaarj/Krall/Mercenary) which include the already present pupae (IIRC), flies and mantas but would it be possible to include a rat like creature (a downsided predator or a modified baby cow)?

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013, 17:18

This map could have had no gameplay whatsoever and I would still like it. From a visual perspective, this is probably the most unique map out there.

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013, 19:10

Now you say it because it has some gameplay so it disturbs your vision, but trust me -- it wouldn't be nowhere near this enjoyable. I do agree that combat could go away completely, focusing on mere exploring and finding ways to move forward -- the map really feels like an oldschool adventure game and that's where its charm comes from. Combined with breathtaking - yes, breathtaking despite the engine's age - visuals and professionally set up audio layer, this thing just oozes perfection. If I'd do a "second opinion" review, I'd most likely hit a 99% or just hit 100% and I'm not sucking up to anyone here. With this latest version, I don't find ANY flaws in this level.

Congratulations, Turboman.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013, 21:55

Al isn't saying that it would be better off without gameplay, he's saying it could have none and he would still like it.

This is probably one of my favorite maps of all time. There's tons of innovation here with the decorations. I was really surprised that those guardian things were actually pawns disguised with movers - I didn't think it was possible to do something like that.

Next