A random sentence for a random mind.

30/09/2013 - "The Triamid Ruins" by Turboman

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: 30/09/2013 - "The Triamid Ruins" by Turboman

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013, 14:00

I must say that I've learned a lot from everyone's feedback. While i'm glad that everyone enjoyed the visuals and the progression, I have to fully agree with the main criticism about the map; the monotonous combat and boring amounts of backtracking.

The disappointing gameplay is mostly because I had some really ambitious plans when I was still building it for the contest.

I actually experimented with a lot of crazy stuff in this map, originally I wanted the player to have NO guns and enemies were supposed to be sensitive to light. So there were plenty of puzzles where you had to lure those orb monsters outside, activate light portals or kill them using other techniques.
The creep lair in the basement would actually have veins penetrating the surface, these were also sensitive to light, so where the veins blocked your path you had to find a way to light up the room with the generator thingies placed around. Some veins would also release spores (mesh fog effect) that hurt you when you get near, these also hurted flies, mantas and regular enemies, and story wise these were also supposed to explain what happened with the original excavation and why your crew ship crashed.

I had a working test map where this worked pretty well using some really messy triggers (which was ALOT of work to set up).

In the end I hit the node/iteration limit before I got to implant those properly, so the idea was scrapped quite early on and I needed to substitute them with regular enemies and more simplistic hit-that-button puzzle pieces.

Previous