Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

28/10/2013 - "Temple of Novana" by Mman

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 28/10/2013 - "Temple of Novana" by Mman

Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013, 10:52

Map Title: Temple of Novana
Author: Shaun "MMAN UGITU" Friend
Filename: USP-10-MMANUGITU.unr
Music Files: Sacred.umx, SkyTwn.umx, WarGate.umx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5FzqzIP5co

Synopsis: The player enters Temple of Novana which is infested with Skaarj and other critters

Discuss!

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: 28/10/2013 - "Temple of Novana" by Mman

Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013, 12:40

UTweapons in those shots.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013, 13:32

Well, my old comments are still here and my feelings haven't really changed since then so:

"I still quite like this level, as most of the things I regretted about it I did just after release, so I've got over them now. I think there's slightly too much reliance on ambient lighting at a few points, and the middle courtyard in particular is pretty plain, but I at least think I managed to pull off the swamp/jungle type atmosphere decently, and not too many maps have used rain as much as in this one either, so I guess its got that going for it in terms of freshness.

The gameplay suffers from being a little cramped, but making it bigger would probably take away from the atmosphere a little, but I could at least have fitted some better fights into the larger areas. I guess it at least provides something a little different, and I recall I was focusing more on the atmosphere than pure gameplay anyway. My biggest issue I have is how much text I put in; nowadays I could probably tell as much with far less text, and could probably consolidate the guidance messages a little too (so they at least aren't going off all the time). One of the main things I recall between DV version 1 and 2 is chewing up Lightning Hunter about tweaking the messages, but I can only imagine what it was like before :) .

This is actually still quite abridged compared to what my full plan for the level was going to be, but considering I recall a bunch of the rest was intended to be some sort of sewer maze it's probably for the best I ended up cutting it down :) . The result of that ended up making me hack the progression into something quite contrived when it could probably be much more natural with just a few tweaks (which is my other main issue)."
Formerly Mman

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013, 07:25

An MMAN level!

This one came out rather good. Smart SP layouts like this never give the player the impression of a linear experience but make them feel like their navigating a location that's been there for quite awhile before they came along. A lot of mappers have trouble with this simple thing. The Chizra theme was perhaps seen, done, and considered standard by the time Deja Vu came out, but that's not to say the level feels generic because I don't think it does. I also really like the little touches that leave a big impression, like the showers and the cow fountains.

I don't recall the translator messages, either from version 1 or from the latest edition...but does the in game log specify who Novana is?

MMAN, you need to make more SP levels. You're damn good at it.

User avatar Frieza

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013, 12:59

Definitely one of the better offerings in DejaVu for me.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013, 22:03

The non-linear feeling coupled with the map's atmosphere is what I liked best - oh and Temple of Novana did not deceive story-wise either, Carpathus being introduced here and the search for Caruthers is continued from Palace of Chizra. Awesome map overall! :tup: And another long play right after the first truly big map of the pack!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013, 00:00

I remember this map being insanely colourful. Lots of purple, pink and green. (and cows.... :P)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013, 19:53

Enjoyed this map back when I played it.
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013, 00:35

For some reason I can remember most of the areas from this map, but I don't instantly associate them with this map. Don't know if that's a bad or good thing; it kind of shows how good Deja Vu was as a complete experience rather than a collection of maps.

Anyway, nice map for exploration, I remember spending a lot of time just wandering around reading things. This is where the Caruthers plot really gets interesting too.

Also watching the video I was shocked to learn of that secret behind the breakable wall in the water channel. I always wondered why you could get into that area while there weren't any items! :shock: