ividyon will never get this done, will he.

02/12/2013 - "Location Z-14" by Mr.Prophet

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 02/12/2013 - "Location Z-14" by Mr.Prophet

Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013, 12:52

Map Title: Location Z-14
Author: Will "Mr.Prophet" Drekker
Filename: usp-16-mrprophet.unr
Music Files: BlackDawn.umx, Guardian.umx, Unreal4.umx, Warlord.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu01NqgV2Ag

Synopsis: A warp takes you to an ancient temple, which turns out to be a front for a Skaarj base. It also happens to have a teleport to somewhere familiar...

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 02/12/2013 - "Location Z-14" by Mr.Prophet

Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013, 13:00

I guess my old comments still apply:

"For some reason there were no visuals in the DV ending this time.

I recall the 1.0 version being really unbalanced, I especially remember a buffed Flak Skaarj at the first battle who took me many attempts. The current version is far better. I recall raging about the balance of the end-fight just before DV 2.0 came out, but it was either subtly tweaked just before release or I stopped sucking as I find it fine now.

I think the fact it's the final map lets it get away with the thematic shift a bit, as it mixes things up for the final encounters and subverts your expectations a little.

My opinion of this map has shifted a lot as various issues were removed/added through development, but I like it quite a bit now. Plus the theme twist for the last battle is pretty epic, even if a bit more could be done with it (as well as the final escape feeling a bit random with the finish trigger suddenly going off near the shuttle)."
Formerly Mman

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013, 19:54

Oh this crap. Yay.

The theme shift was a little half-baked. At the time I just didn't have the ability to do much more with it. Just kinda a straight shot to the end with tougher enemies. I did enjoy using those white textures. They are the cool ones from ONP, but they got overused quick back then, like richrig. The Version 2 eased some of the enemies somewhat, via Hellscrag edits, and Frieza did a nice alternate launch room in the ending sequence (or I think it was Frieza).

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013, 21:06

I don't think that was me, atleast I don't recall doing something like that

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013, 21:35

I keep thinking that was you. Lightning Hunter perhaps?

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013, 08:06

enjoyable level +boss sequuence.

I always liked those white textures
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013, 15:37

I always thought this was one of the most memorable maps from Gryphon Revisited. I liked the theme and the ruins seeming abandoned was a nice change.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013, 22:17

From the old thread, my opinion for the most part is still the same today

UBerserker wrote:The map that made me download DV2 after looking at the review. It met my expectations and I consider it the best one of the whole pack.

What's really great here is the desolation effect. I tend to love somehow lifeless places, in which suddenly you find hidden outposts. DV2 seriously needed a new type of theme; we never knew Unreal and all of its themes at the beginning, so that was an all-new experience. DV2 was trying to be so similar to Unreal, and it caused the absence of "new stuff". Almost - because Map 16 came on my screen and I said: "Holy shit an unique theme".
It is a replacement to the Mothership, or more like an alternative to it. It has been a good choice since there's only one and one good MS in Unreal. First accomplishment, let's go.

Build is noteworthy. Some really great architecture for the temple, and for the Skaarj outpost as well. Except the last two rooms, since the first one is the Unreal's escape pod area (which looks better here) and the second is quite the generic and random place that come at the end of almost every existing game. Nice return to the Mothership anyway.
Same story about the texturing. Didn't notice anything bad, aside the sky box and the visible limits that make it f'n ugly. Lighting is either great or bad. But it did the job done.
My favourite part was the silent beginning. Great use of emptyness and lighting, and Blackdawn.umx didn't disappoint. I really enjoy places that make a good use of emptyness and silence, and this one was incredible. We need more of this stuff.
Then there's Unreal4.umx which speaks for itself, Warlord.umx for the ending and... there was Guardian.umx here for the first boss battle? I bet Necros would do a perfect theme for that battle, and I think there's already one of his released tracks which would do the job.

Aside the atmosphere there's the gameplay. Like Xidia, this map makes me think of how Unreal should need some random but powerful enemies that need to be fought in any possible place of a map... like Fallout 3 did with the three awesome new Broken Steel creatures. Enemies that make you want to curse them all the time when you play the Single Player stuff. There's the Skaarj Sniper who gets usually mentioned, but he's a cheapo bastard; any type of Skaarj Praetorians fit this category because they're simply single super-tough enemies that suddenly arrive in front of you, and pose a very good yet extremely balanced threat.
That's the gameplay in Map 16: against a few but strong enemies. Too much ammo though - probably to regain some strength from the previous uber-hard map? At least you could have been able to visit again the old areas once you arrive to the courtyard, and making good use of those closed doors nearby. Oh well, since there are 250 Automag Bullets in once spot of the map, let's have fun with the Minigun which will barely manage to kill two Skaarj Praetorian Troopers in 450 bullets D:
The disappointing bit were the last two battles. The Skaarj Elder needed to be so much stronger, instead of relying on an instakill melee attack which does never hit you. CryoSkaarj didn't help, they actually helped me. As for the ending, no one will probably care about it, which is honestly the best thing to do :B

Also, Biterfish inside the Mothership. They probably came from the waterfall, but HEY WHERE'S MY SECOND SCUBAGEAR? Coopguy says'
At least there are a lot of items.

Really awesome map anyway, my favourite one in DV2 and a great change of pace after the chaos of Kra'filnish.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2013, 12:53

The last map of the pack was indeed unique, and so good that it made me wish there'd be more of this stuff! A fitting last level for an awesome pack, it manages to be quite difficult, and there's a great sense of climax to it... the desolation effect UBerserker mentions obviously plays a role, but I also felt, well, touched by the setting - it may also be due to the memories of the long journey that lead you to this place, but I think the little subplot in this level - despite also being a bit of an inside joke - is effective in triggering a bit of extra emotion: "Sorry guys, but I don't think I'm coming home." that last line sort of echoed with me, as if it also applied to the player character... foreshadowing the ending, in a way? I'm not really going to comment on the ending cutscene, other than saying that what happened in it was unexpected for sure!
All the rest has already been covered - I'll just have to add that in such a great map, the visible limits of the otherwise beautiful skybox are indeed an eyesore!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.