Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

29/01/2014 - "Liberation of Na Pali" by Steve Farrow

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 29/01/2014 - "Liberation of Na Pali" by Steve Farrow

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014, 02:05

Map Title: The Liberation of Na Pali Episode I: Abunatu's Hope
Author: Steve "Roswell" Farrow
Filename: LiberationEp1.unr
Music Files:: Fourth.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVAB5LqazOs

Synopsis: "Liberate" a futuristic industrial outpost from the clutches of the Skaarj and the Krall. And grind a hapless Nali bunny into a health pack!

Discuss!
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: 29/01/2014 - "Liberation of Na Pali" by Steve Farrow

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014, 06:41

So you have to penetrate an outpost and clean the Skaarj and Krall out of it? Also, hapless?
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014, 10:43

I remember being very impressed by the screenshots attached to the old review for this. Of course I haven't seen them since it was re-reviewed, and that was some years ago now.

A fun level, with a great, unconventional opening, and I AM still impressed at how much gets crammed into the small filesize. However I've never really considered it to be a "classic". It seems to me that people who give it mega-high praise are the guys who have been here since (before) the beginning and have a large amount of nostalgia.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014, 12:14

Would be nice if you put release date for all maps of the week. I'm always lost with custom maps.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014, 13:57

Even though the first packs I played were Shrakith'a and ONP, this map still managed to impress me. It hasn't aged well at all as far as appearances go, and it would still be one of the best maps out there if it could at least match Unreal in that department. Still, it's definitely a really good early map.

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014, 15:01

The map never really looked that great, but the cool scripted sequences more than made up for it.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014, 02:22

Despite the overall visuals being basic I like all the weird angles and similar stuff here; it really gives the feeling of being in some sort of alien facility. I also like how it's one of the few maps to make use of the red DecayedS textures in the latter part. There's also some good sound use for such an old map. The scripted sequences and other interactions are the things that make it stand out though, and some of them are pretty creative even today, like the health dispenser thing. On the other hand, there's some issues with guidance, like tiny buttons on non-descript walls and pipes that blend into walls, and the easy combat (Sniper aside) with overpowered weapons isn't that great. It's one of the better early maps though.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014, 15:45

One of my favorite maps! I particularly stands out to me because of its unconventional design that blew me away the first time i played it, add to that the most interesting use of lighting with plenty of strong contrasts and pulsating effects... and the awesome use of sounds, i think this was the first map that ever mixed/warped sound effects using pitch.

But the most interesting part about this map is the amazing use of scripting, you crashland, you get bombed, you escape a smelting pit, you ride a hoverboard, even today it amazes me how smoothly all these scripted sequences were executed.