UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

27/02/2014 - "The Lost Sanctuary of Kalishr'a" by Chicoverde & DavidM

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 27/02/2014 - "The Lost Sanctuary of Kalishr'a" by Chicoverde & DavidM

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014, 00:41

Map Title: The Lost Sanctuary of Kalishr'a
Author: Jean 'El Chicoverde' Rochefort & David 'DavidM' Munnich
Filename: NP16Chico.unr
Music Files:: Fourth.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pii7IAfImQU

Synopsis: Enter the Lost Sanctuary of Kalishr'a, a run-down temple complex and continue your quest...

Discuss!
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: 27/02/2014 - "The Lost Sanctuary of Kalishr'a" by Chicoverde & DavidM

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014, 01:04

This was the first Chico map I ever played. I found it impressive, but it's been a while... I'd wait for a play through to be posted before commenting further
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar SteadZ

Subject: Re: 27/02/2014 - "The Lost Sanctuary of Kalishr'a" by Chicoverde & DavidM

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014, 17:55

I found a pretty nice variation of the ONP Rock texture (or Xidia, as it was there first) myleveled within this map and the one prior to it, which I presume was supposed to be used for the maps. Just a shame it wasn't...

Fun map overall, with plenty of falling geometry and earthquakes to keep you busy, and enough enemies to keep you on your toes. Also at least 1 follower to try and keep alive for as long as possible :D

Love the Chico maps in ONP, just a shame a couple were cut :(
SZ

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014, 18:24

Chico is definitely one, if not the best at making run down temple maps.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014, 20:14

A great broken down temple aesthetic as expected from Chicoverde, and decent enough gameplay. Structurally it suffers a bit from pretty corridor syndrome though, as it just a simple walk through some nice looking areas with occasional combat. That's an issue with ONP in general outside of some select levels, but I think it sticks out a little more here due to the small elements of interlinking, the fake-out trap and stuff like the heavily vertical room (where the gunner jumps down) that feels like it could have had some interesting exploration or/and puzzle elements with a few additions.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014, 00:55

Doublez-Down wrote:Chico is definitely one, if not the best at making run down temple maps.

Totally agree. His maps always look fantastic.

SteadZ wrote:just a shame a couple were cut :(

I didn't know that. :( Do you know if there were ever any screenshots of them?

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014, 02:15

Teridax wrote:I didn't know that. :( Do you know if there were ever any screenshots of them?

Yup, found them in the archive of the old Team Vortex Website:
[spoiler]

This last one is just a 3DS Max render of the Gargoyle Head Decoration Statue that he made for these maps.
[/spoiler]

Here's Chico's Post-
Chicoverde wrote:March|7|2002 - 5th map shots + custom decos pimpage - Chicoverde
Hi guys!
Some news to let pple know that I keep on working hard on ONP ( debugged my first 2 maps and started my 5th one:P)
Here come some shots from this 5th map ( the very start of the map actually).
You also can see a gargoyle head mesh for this map ( and for all the ruins maps of ONP). Keep away from the jaws of these demons! The last shot is a 3dsmax rendered image of the gargoyle mesh.

Chico

[[EDIT:]]
Also, here are some old pics of the first NMF Map:
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

SZ

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014, 12:20

The screenshots didn't ring any bells at all, but the video did. For some reason I remember this map as the one where I kept falling off of things as I tried to climb to higher areas. It's pretty solid though, and the collapsing things can make it quite tense.

Regarding the cut maps, I especially like that first shot of the courtyard. I wonder if the maps were anywhere near completion, or were scrapped before much was added beyond the pictured areas...

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014, 16:50

If Chico were contactable, he'd probably shed some light on this, but alas, this isn't the case.

However, I have some news regarding the Gargoyle head decoration. It's gonna make an appearance in our Episodes thanks to the unstoppable Enzyme.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.