ividyon will never get this done, will he.

24/03/2014 - "Nali Canyon" by Paul C. Roberts

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 24/03/2014 - "Nali Canyon" by Paul C. Roberts

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014, 23:19

Map Title: Nali Canyon
Author: Paul C. Roberts
Filename: Hollow3.unr
Music Files:: Vortex.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkHkKFX1Lbg

Synopsis: Your quest for "going around and shooting stuff" has led you into a Nali canyon. Now, find the two secret keys the "visitors" have left...

Discuss!
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: 24/03/2014 - "Nali Canyon" by Paul C. Roberts

Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014, 05:12

Hm, the map looks very interesting. However, I can't download it. Delacroix, may you send it to my email, please?

NaPaliShore

Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014, 06:55

Annetteblue wrote:Hm, the map looks very interesting. However, I can't download it. Delacroix, may you send it to my email, please?

Go to http://www.oldunreal.com/maps/single/ and click on the link for "hollow.zip".

Annetteblue

Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014, 09:00

NaPaliShore wrote:
Annetteblue wrote:Hm, the map looks very interesting. However, I can't download it. Delacroix, may you send it to my email, please?

Go to http://www.oldunreal.com/maps/single/ and click on the link for "hollow.zip".

Thank you!

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014, 15:47

The canyon's shift to darkness is quite menacing (even if it the degree of blackness doesn't make much sense), but the rest of the level is a bunch of overly dark cubic rooms that doesn't add to the exterior impression at all, especially as I can see what the designer seemed to be going for (some type of Cappadocia type structure). Like the rest of the later maps it pales in comparison to the first.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014, 10:03

The main thing I remember about this map is that, without dodging enabled, you can't actually complete it. That caused me a bit of a problem the first time I attempted to play it, as in my early Unreal days I had dodging disabled (I kept accidentally dodging at the worst times, e.g. when standing next to lava or the edge of Na Pali Haven...).
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014, 19:06

I used to mess up dodging all the time. I remember peering over cliffs at the gorgeous views (as they were at the time) and in my excitement I dodged myself into oblivion. Lots of moments like that.

Still, I never disabled dodging though. It's strange that dodging was never directly incorporated into gameplay in Unreal and RTNP.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014, 07:45

Hahaha, bottomleft picture sets all bells tolling here. I don't know how much time I spent looking for another way down since I couldn't make the normal jump (I tried and tried and tried).
And then I asked the question here and the answer came promptly: dodge jumping! That suddenly made certain battles a bit easier. \o/

For the rest, it's a fun level, not especially hard but still containing enough surprise attacks to keep one on one's toes (e.g. the mantas from that canyon).

There is something which has bothered me all these years and it probably started with this map. How on earth (or on Klingon whatever) is it possible that there is only a way down, and no way back up? In most maps there is always a way back (be it broken for the sake of gameplay, or blocked by some disaster) or at least a hint/sign of some construction which would allow travel in the opposite direction.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014, 10:46

The cave to the left when you jump down is probably supposed to be a hint of an alternative route, except the bars are badly placed so you can just walk past them and see the dead-end.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014, 23:34

salsaSkaarj wrote:There is something which has bothered me all these years and it probably started with this map. How on earth (or on Klingon whatever) is it possible that there is only a way down, and no way back up? In most maps there is always a way back (be it broken for the sake of gameplay, or blocked by some disaster) or at least a hint/sign of some construction which would allow travel in the opposite direction.

Levitation. The Nali only need to say "zeem-zeem-orrrrm" enough times and they float right back up to the upper level.

Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014, 23:36

Nali can just teleport.
ImageImage