Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

28/04/2014 - "Palace of Chizra" by Waffnuffly

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 28/04/2014 - "Palace of Chizra" by Waffnuffly

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014, 11:19

Map Title: Palace of Chizra
Author: Kevin "Waffnuffly" Letz
Filename: USP-09-Waffnuffly.unr
Music Files: UTemple.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux2xhu7uIrU

Synopsis: The player ends up at a palace dedicated to Chizra the Nali water god.

Discuss!

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: 28/04/2014 - "Palace of Chizra" by Waffnuffly

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014, 11:57

Only ever played it once. By far, the highlight of Deja Vu. Had to take it slow and strategically, but there were so many ways to approach it. Would love to go back and play it again, but I hate just jumping into the middle of a pack cold turkey.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014, 12:09

This map's lighting system
ImageImage

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014, 14:23

So many plants...
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014, 18:24

I remember when I found Mr Sploogeface, the funniest clown in this here town Village...

What's this I wonder :B ?

[spoiler]SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YAH!SPLOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YA!SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YAH!SPLOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YA!SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YAH!SPLOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YA!SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YAH!SPLOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YA!SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YAH!SPLOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YA!SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YAH!SPLOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YA!SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YAH!SPLOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YA!SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YAH!SPLOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YA!SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YAH!SPLOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YA!SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YAH!SPLOOOOOOOOGYYYYI'VE GOTTA PRESENT FOR YA![/spoiler]

Good Map though, some very nice... walls.
SZ

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014, 20:27

The first long play of the pack. The side-plot involving Caruthers begins here - I remember liking that battle tank! Now that I know Waffnuffly's works better, I'm not surprised (I got around to playing Attacked! since then).
Amazing map, the setting is fleshed out really convincingly - and it feels unique (after all, we're not in the middle of a freakin' canyon for a change mind you I love canyons). Exploring the surroundings is awesome - yes, lots of plants, a good attempt at making a subtropical marsh, and the Palace of Chizra is a great place for a battle - lots of space, broad strokes for the architecture, impressive conceptual grandness. Tons of ennemies, too! :o
Solid in the story department too.
After all that, the ending was a surprise - still some more challenge! Fits the spirit. Quite hard to get through!
Definitely one of the highlights of Déjà Vu 2.0.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014, 21:58

Where is this battle tank that everyone talks about? I've heard it mentioned loads of times, but I don't remember seeing it in this map...

SZ

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014, 22:24

I believe the tank is outside on the right of the building, looking in from the starting position. But it's been awhile since I went through Deja Vu so I could be remembering wrong. There's a dead guy near it I think.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014, 22:39

Tank outside on the right side. Next to it there's a dead body with two Flares, one Armor and a Clip I think.
I thought the map had actual secret passages near the mountain but I was ultimately wrong.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014, 00:32

SteadZ wrote:Where is this battle tank that everyone talks about? I've heard it mentioned loads of times, but I don't remember seeing it in this map...

UBerserker wrote:Tank outside on the right side. Next to it there's a dead body with two Flares, one Armor and a Clip I think.

What UBerserker said, except the dead man is found a bit farther, inside the palace grounds. I roughly remember the story part: the dead man is a UMS bounty hunter, who is specifically after Caruthers who is apparently a "bastard" and the bounty hunter fears for the safety of those who are accompanying Caruthers because the latter is "crazy" - the UMS agent is forced to leave his tank behind in order to further his search because of the terrain. I remember being sad to discover the bounty hunter dead, I thought he was a cool guy!
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014, 20:26

One of the best maps in Deja Vu; a unique setting and visuals, lots of details, nice story integration and design that leads to non-standard gameplay. While I'm not normally a fan of "kill everything" objectives in Unreal it works well here and I don't think I've ever had a situation with this map where I've had to backtrack everywhere for stragglers.

UBerserker wrote:Tank outside on the right side. Next to it there's a dead body with two Flares, one Armor and a Clip I think.
I thought the map had actual secret passages near the mountain but I was ultimately wrong.

I remember an ancient (public?) alpha version let you go in the vent thing near the side-area with all the ammo (it was just a dead-end pit or something though at the time), but presumably it got removed relatively soon. I don't know if you were there to see that though.
Formerly Mman

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014, 23:43

Only went through Deja Vu the other week. This map took a fair while to get through. The vegetation was great, not often you see something like that done in Unreal/UT. The temple was pretty interesting too. Waffnuffly certainly knows how to pull off some impressive architecture as his other work demonstrates. Fights in the level were also very well set up.

Perhaps one of, if not the best level in the pack.
StalwartUK

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014, 14:34

I want to go to the poetry reading :B

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 08 May 2014, 01:40

This MOTW is extended for a week due to the webhost move and potential resulting issues.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 08 May 2014, 04:44

ividyon wrote:This MOTW is extended for a week due to the webhost move and potential resulting issues.

Guess that makes this "Map of the Fortnight".
StalwartUK

Next