Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

27/05/2014 - "S e v e n B u l l e t s" by Myscha and remixed by Mr.Prophet

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 27/05/2014 - "S e v e n B u l l e t s" by Myscha and remixed by Mr.Prophet

Post Posted: 27 May 2014, 12:33

Map Title: S e v e n B u l l e t s
Author: Myscha and remixed by Mr.Prophet
Filename: Jones-01-Deployment.unr
Music Files: 7B-IntoTheFray.umx, 7B-Dark1.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2n-nsPbLzE

Sypnosis: Jones' fourth playable mission begins in the ISV-Kran, now almost without any electric power due to the EMP strike from Na Pali Haven. Reunite with the rest of your team and kill all the Skaarj you meet.

Discuss!

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: 27/05/2014 - "S e v e n B u l l e t s" by Myscha and remixed by Mr.Prophet

Post Posted: 27 May 2014, 15:13

UBerserker wrote:Jones' third mission

All right, let's see.

1. Ortican retrieval mission
2. Xidia
3. Na Pali Haven: Redux
4. Seven Bullets

Looks like fourth, to me. :P
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 27/05/2014 - "S e v e n B u l l e t s" by Myscha and remixed by Mr.Prophet

Post Posted: 27 May 2014, 15:42

A short intro level that's pretty simple, it does the job of introducing the general gameplay and theme of the Kran section though, as well as the style (with the cutscenes and voice-acting).
Formerly Mman

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 27 May 2014, 20:08

I remember trying to get as much of the original map into the redux as I could, was a test run for the following map. Every enemy in this map (there aren't many) come at the player in an ambush situation. This was me trying to 1) orient the player with the new flashlight and force them to learn to trust it, look for potential ambush spots (which meant I had to mask movers very well in here when they came into play) and 2) maintain styles seeded in previous Jones's series entries where enemies usually know where you are before you can find them, which is a general reversal of Unreal's approach.

I still think the intro music and cutscene is mostly nice and occurs quickly, though I dislike the bit with the jet fighter. See crap with the engine lights and general stiffness, irks me.

Trivia: The beta version of this map was pitch black, which annoyed Hourences so much in testing that he convinced me to opt for dimly lit, foggy chambers in the final versions of the Kran maps.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 27 May 2014, 22:14

Really nice intro map, love the writing effects on the opening credits :P

I've always wondered though... why is it that the Skaarj Commandos appear pixelated when they have really good, 512x512 skins?

PS: Check out the USP Wiki article here: http://unrealsp.wikia.com/wiki/S_e_v_e_n_B_u_l_l_e_t_s

SZ
Last edited by SteadZ on 28 May 2014, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 May 2014, 22:32

SteadZ wrote:I've always wondered though... why is it that the (lovely skinned) Skaarj Commandos appear pixelated when they have really good, 512x512 skins?

For some reasons they have BNoSmooth turned on.
You can actually fix this with a command (set skaarjtrooper bnosmooth false, I think)
ImageImage

Post Posted: 28 May 2014, 01:57

Don't really know why that property is enabled for their skins. The reason has been lost to me by time. There was a reason though, that much I remember.

User avatar [UDHQ]Jackrabbit
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 28 May 2014, 06:29

One of the most startling gun fights I've ever had in Unreal was the ambush in the blob pit. Great map and perfect kick starter for my favorite custom unreal campaign

Post Posted: 29 May 2014, 17:50

[UDHQ]Jackrabbit wrote:One of the most startling gun fights I've ever had in Unreal was the ambush in the blob pit. Great map and perfect kick starter for my favorite custom unreal campaign

I figured it was a good way to introduce the Skaarj troopers :)

Honestly, doing stuff like that fulfills two gameplay tactics I love to employ. 1) Present the player with a sudden and deadly enemy appearance, and 2) Scaring the crap out of people.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 30 May 2014, 06:23

Mister_Prophet wrote:Every enemy in this map (there aren't many) come at the player in an ambush situation. This was me trying to 1) .... and 2) maintain styles seeded in previous Jones's series entries where enemies usually know where you are before you can find them, which is a general reversal of Unreal's approach.

I've never considered that, but it's quite interesting to think about. Goes a long way towards explaining the different vibes you get from more traditional map packs and the Jones ones. It's not just the presentation, cut scenes voice acting etc: It's the fact that in unreal, you generally stumble across the bad guys, whereas in this pack, they are actively hunting you.

Really would love to 7bullets again. I only ever gave it a complete run through once, way back in 2007/8. Such great memories but they're all so foggy now :) I recall the Vandora temple reduxx being such a high point. Should go visit it again.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar [UDHQ]Jackrabbit
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 30 May 2014, 22:09

@TIK

Yes, you really should. It's well worth your time. Unlike most custom map packs for Unreal, SB strives to create a new type Unreal experience while still staying true to the core engine mechanics. Interesting the parallels I see drawn between a pack like this -> Unreal compared to whats going on in the UT community to develop the "new UT" which also strives to create a new vibe while retaining core gameplay mechanics....

*cough* Make Prophet the new president of Epic Games *cough*