Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

23/06/2014 - "Genesis Outpost" by Derdak2rot

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 23/06/2014 - "Genesis Outpost" by Derdak2rot

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014, 23:17

Map Title: Genesis Outpost
Author: Derdak2rot
Filename: ZP02-GenesisOutpost.unr
Music Files: Kran2.umx

Video Playthrough:

or: Watch on YouTube

Synopsis: You've survived the crash of the UMS Sakura and infiltrated the invaded base's outskirts against all odds: the Skaarj grip over the unhospitable, frozen planet Zephon has proven strong. Now you've reached the Genesis Outpost. What awaits you there?

Discuss!
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 23/06/2014 - "Genesis Outpost" by Derdak2rot

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014, 23:42

This MOTW introduces a new option with a WebM video that runs at 60FPS (and beyond, if the option becomes available to me), although some browsers might not support it. Edit: seems the quality of the fullscreen WebM is actually better. I also ended up doing this on Unreal due to a savegame I had (although I had to save and split the initial recording due to a stuttering issue).

This is mostly a good map, although there's quite a bit of walking across big empty areas and it could do with a few puzzles or more environmental obstacles to spice it up. On the other hand I think this is a good example of low-tier balance for Unreal difficulty; you have a small array of weapons but it's more than enough for a skilled player, and the enemy placement is tuned to provide some surprises but never overpower you as long as you're careful. Admittedly I'm not sure if this is the patched Zephon or not.

I'm not so sold on this being a Human base though, as it seems a bit overscaled and oddly structured for that (like seemingly important tube things right in the middle of the central area and next to a vehicle bay). Unless I'm forgetting and this isn't supposed to be Human.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014, 23:48

I thought this map was pretty good. The lighting and architecture were both excellent, and it was a very convincing frozen base (the new Skaarj skins certainly help). Some areas did seem to be a bit overscaled, and I remember it taking a really long time for me to complete, possibly because how long it sometimes took to move from area to area.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014, 01:45

Wait, Zephon had cool retextured ice-skaarj? Why can't I remember this? :P

edit: watched half the vid. Now I remember this map. Quite enjoyable. I swear the part about halfway through is also found in some UT ctf level.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014, 09:09

The level got retextured/re-themed for its MH version that Derdak has released.
ImageImage

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014, 22:33

I always liked this map a lot. Never thought about some of the mismatching things Mman pointed out - maybe I was just too overwhelmed with the lighting and mood.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014, 17:52

Doublez-Down wrote:I always liked this map a lot. Never thought about some of the mismatching things Mman pointed out - maybe I was just too overwhelmed with the lighting and mood.

Same here but I also agree with Mman that there was a bit too much walking for long distances which kind of made it tedious when I forgot to touch a switch somewhere. Basically it meant that I had to walk through the map from the start again.

AFAIR I played the MH map (mentioned by Uberserker) and the long walk wasn't tdious beacuse there was a bit more (and heavier) action).