Scout-kun is a lie... right?

04/08/2014 - "Skaarj Roulette" by Zora

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 04/08/2014 - "Skaarj Roulette" by Zora

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014, 17:27

Map Title: Skaarj Roulette
Author: Zora
Filename: ZM1Roulette.unr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StqWCB0qH38

Sypnosis: You find a strange Skaarj facility inside an island.

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 04/08/2014 - "Skaarj Roulette" by Zora

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014, 17:29

Seems my old comments will apply:

Mman wrote:The funnel itself is quite a lot of fun and this level being short means other issues don't make themselves too obnoxious (unlike some other Zora maps). There are issues though; the tunnel at the start can make you lose half your health if you don't know the crouching trick, some of the weirder movers can lead to some physics issues, and fuck that door (which is also pretty easy to miss). I like the starting island bit though as it manages to stand out despite having simple visuals, and the main section is abstract enough to cover up the relatively weak visuals. I wonder if the crazy funnel stuff would have worked better as a pure arena map rather than the attempts at other gameplay that kind of gets in the way of that main concept.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014, 20:39

One of the main things I liked about this map was that if you crouched in the starting area, your movement speed would increase dramatically. The funnel section was kind of fun, but I can't say I liked a whole lot else about this level.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014, 05:55

Pretty gonzo level. I said in my review that this one was surprisingly fun, but it's completely unpredictable. I also recall this being an instance of some of the finicky movers that tend to trip up player collisions all over Zora's Episodes.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014, 10:40

Oh no... I played this in coop a while back and everyone got very stuck and annoyed and quit - no happy memories here...

SZ

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014, 18:19

Looked at the video playthrough and remembered that I played this ages ago (as well as other maps by Zora). I can't remember whether I really finished it without cheating but I know that I had great difficulty in getting up to the top, those Skaarj seemed to come back just as fast as I killed them. What I do remember is that this was one on the few Zora maps which didn't bug out unexpectedly.
On the whole it was visually entertaining but in terms of gameplay rather irritating (as most of Zora's maps).