A random sentence for a random mind.

11/08/2014 - "Skaarj Nitrogen Mining Outpost" by Kimmo "Cardi" Kontto

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 11/08/2014 - "Skaarj Nitrogen Mining Outpost" by Kimmo "Cardi" Kontto

Post Posted: 11 Aug 2014, 21:04

Map Title: Skaarj Nitrogen Mining Outpost
Author: Kimmo "Cardi" Kontto
Filename: zp05-nitromining.unr
Music Files: icequeen3.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEs1S2215bg

Synopsis: You make your way into a large, snowy valley, guarded by Skaarj and Brutes. The Mercenaries aren't there to just look around, though.

Discuss!

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: 11/08/2014 - "Skaarj Nitrogen Mining Outpost" by Kimmo "Cardi" Kontto

Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014, 10:47

One of my favourite maps from Zephon.
Not overly difficult, I used the DP only (on Hard) except for the building where you have to get the dynamite on the roof (and the mercenary boss of course).
I really had fun on the roof, trying to avoid the Skaarj coming from below, by jumping down using the ledges on the side of the building. If this was allowed by design then this was a masterpiece of insight. After a couple of tries I managed to master the technique but I used 3 or 4 ledges while in the video it's done with 2 ledges only.
The video also shows how easily the Skaarj and Mercenaries can be induced to fight each other thus allowing you to save ammo (not that it's needed at this stage).
Another nice aspect is the fact that progress is quite logical and it's nice to see from far what your destination is, which incites the player to explore and clear the outside area before entering the building with the access-switch (building with the Mercenary boss).

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 11/08/2014 - "Skaarj Nitrogen Mining Outpost" by Kimmo "Cardi" Kontto

Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014, 22:20

My older comments:

Mman wrote:I apparently like the level more than some do, but it's definitely pretty flawed and one of the weaker maps. There's a ton of walking and the two main structures are very repetitive in layout (each floor is very similar and there's little variety beyond shooting more stuff). It's got a grand scale and some nice terrain, but it's too empty and repetitive.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014, 17:27

I remember two things about this map: the music and how long it took to get from place to place. I can't really comment on the gameplay since I played it on coop last. It didn't seem overly difficult, though.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014, 20:48

The tower building looks extremely stylish but GOD fighting a standard-size Skaarj Officer with 700+ HP and Skaarj Gunners that suddenly corner you is a big no-no.
Overall it's still a breather map of some sort (for Zephon's higher difficulty standards) because most of the time you can move around much more freely in battles.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014, 10:24

UBerserker wrote:The tower building looks extremely stylish but GOD fighting a standard-size Skaarj Officer with 700+ HP and Skaarj Gunners that suddenly corner you is a big no-no.

Which one was the standard-size Skaarj Officer?

I'll agree that the surprise attack on the roof of the building was unfair (without prior knowledge) BUT ... it is possible to flee and replay value of that section is high (to me)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014, 10:34

The one on top of the tower.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014, 10:56

UBerserker wrote:The one on top of the tower.

Ah, yes he was hard but the flak was harder ;-).
AFAIR the number of Skaarj coming up to the roof increased with increasing difficulty level and that made it a lot harder for me (especially if you haven't killed the officer by then) (which is why I eventually decided on the flee-route, either using the ledges or if possible going back down inside the building to take them on 1 or 2 at a time).