Scout-kun is a lie... right?

01/09/2014 - "NyLeve's Falls" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: 01/09/2014 - "NyLeve's Falls" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 09:04

I first read Tarydium as Tyranium...

It sounded cooler :/

SZ

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 09:38

SteadZ wrote:I first read Tarydium as Tyranium...

It sounded cooler :/

Certainly sounds better than Retardium :lol:
As for misreadings: I always "read" Outpost Phoenix instead of Pheonix.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 09:56

In contrast to all of these mis-readings, I first read Noork's Elbow and thought "that can't be right, can it?"

Noork is, of course, Kroon backwards. See also Captain S. Kroon of the Vortex Rikers and Kroon Steel in Unreal Tournament. Some member of the dev team, I think. But I wonder what the deal was with his elbow? Maybe he got tennis elbow from too much mouse work!
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 10:40

Gryphon sounds more like a name given from humans.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 12:19

UBerserker wrote:Gryphon sounds more like a name given from humans.

Which I'm sure is actually the case, but I agree with Hellscrag that the name Gryphon was originally meant to be the planet's name... at least from a designer document's perspective (and that name apparently came to CliffyB in a dream, according to what Brandon recalls! source: the Tyrian commentary with Alexander Brandon).

Mister_Prophet wrote:I still can't spell Rajaghar Mine correctly without looking it up.

I plead guilty to that one too, though you underscoring it means I've made the effort to remember the name off by heart now!

SteadZ wrote:I first read Tarydium as Tyranium...

In the early days, I sometimes remembered "Tyradium" instead of Tarydium!

salsaSkaarj wrote:As for misreadings: I always "read" Outpost Phoenix instead of Pheonix.

That might originally be a mispelling by Mister_Prophet, although we'll have to hear it from him...
By the way, you are so 1337 salsaSkaarj! see your number of posts
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 16:49

Sat42 wrote:That might originally be a mispelling by Mister_Prophet, although we'll have to hear it from him...

It isn't, apparently. I seem to recall Prophet giving some other explanation for it.

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014, 01:12

The explanation is that I was 17 at the time I made Xidia and probably didn't want to admit I spelled it wrong when confronted with it later. If there is another reason I gave previously I do not remember. It's Phoenix. I'm dumb.

As for the name of the planet....yeah this old thing...

I have always conceded that there are two names for the planet. The Terran and the Local name. I've had this debate with fellows like Mike and others before and it always comes down to one person pointing out, "well the mission pack is called Return to Na Pali meaning the retcon absorbed into the Canon so there," and the other person saying, "well that was a different team and they probably went with the misconception and when has any game with Unreal in the title been consistent with the one previous anyway? Also, your mom."

I look at it like this. We know that Unreal went through some changes during its development. It went from a meager quake clone to something a bit more with some ideas cast aside or absorbed into better ones. The female protagonist idea became a unisex, player decides idea with the female model being the first in the selection window suggestively. I even stated earlier in the thread how the official guide book contained so many minor errors because it was written with an earlier build, meaning they were changing things literally right up to the release window.

What's more likely than any other theory is that they forgot to remove certain references to the planet's name in certain reading materials and the mission pack confounded matters. I do not believe that the devs really cared to name the planet at all in the end and figured it was a detail that did not matter and would never matter to anyone playing the game. I mean, you see proof of these oversights every time you get killed by a pupa, because they say "you got killed by a pupae." Like, lol?

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014, 13:47

Iconic first intro to the world; it quickly establishes things like the Nali (although it getting killed by Tentacles on Unreal is a little odd), the first proper combat, and also shows how exploration is rewarding by making a large part of the level optional. It's obviously limited by being a very early map, but it fulfils it's role perfectly.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014, 21:26

Mister_Prophet wrote:The explanation is that I was 17 at the time I made Xidia and probably didn't want to admit I spelled it wrong when confronted with it later. If there is another reason I gave previously I do not remember. It's Phoenix. I'm dumb.

Hehe, don't sweat it, at any rate Outpost Phoenix is incredible, I'll talk about it more on another occasion , but I'm amazed to hear you worked on Xidia at the age of 17!

I agree about the planet's name not being of critical importance to the original developers, after all they didn't bother with fleshing out a strong official storyline, leaving a lot to the players imagination.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014, 08:29

Walking out of Vortex Rikers for the first time in 1998... enough said.

Previous