This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

29/09/2014 - "Shia'dorle Refuge" by Zynthetic

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 29/09/2014 - "Shia'dorle Refuge" by Zynthetic

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014, 22:52

Map Title: Shia'dorle Refuge
Author: Dana "zynthetic" Nassick
Filename: USP-07-Zynthetic.unr
Music Files: Fifth.umx

Video Playthrough:

Youtube Playthrough

Synopsis: You've discovered an ancient underground crypt seemingly converted into a crossroads.

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: Re: 29/09/2014 - Shia'dorle Refuge by Zynthetic

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014, 22:55

This map has a really unusual atmosphere and makes great use of traps and flies... although, the less said about the Sel Fella Tio shrine, the better...
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014, 20:48

This level does a good job adding some context to the previous level, and there's some nice detail and atmosphere even if it's relatively cramped. There's some well-executed trap and puzzle elements and that fits the pacing of Deja Vu as a whole well since it comes between Jaunie's relatively straightforward levels and the Waffnuffly's combat and exploration heavy map. It doesn't really stick out as a stand-out map in DV but it fits in well.
Formerly Mman

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014, 00:08

All I really remember of this map is being lost forever in the tunnels and not being able to get any further - therefore giving up on Deja Vu and playing something else.

I did then replay Deja Vu but cheated on this level :(

It does, however, make good use of the ShaneChurch texture set and has nice atmospheric lighting.

SZ

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014, 15:22

Mman wrote:This level does a good job adding some context to the previous level, and there's some nice detail and atmosphere even if it's relatively cramped. There's some well-executed trap and puzzle elements and that fits the pacing of Deja Vu as a whole well since it comes between Jaunie's relatively straightforward levels and the Waffnuffly's combat and exploration heavy map. It doesn't really stick out as a stand-out map in DV but it fits in well.

Eloquently put. For me this was a scary map! Damn traps and flies freaked me out :shy:
However, I didn't really get lost, and Shia'dorle Refuge is still a relatively short level at the end of the day. It was quite hard the first time round and I had to reload a couple of times. I was impressed by how the map brought context to the ongoing adventure, with supposed connections to other known places. Smart move in a campaign otherwise devoid of a strong main plot. The flooded area is really good. And with all the traps and the general deliquescence of the place you don't feel safe in there. A great map with a strong claustrophobic feel to it.

Hellscrag wrote:although, the less said about the Sel Fella Tio shrine, the better...

I was only made aware of that shrine when I started reading about the EEs of Deja Vu after completing the map pack. The whole sequence associated to it sounds crazy!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.