UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

13/10/2014 - "Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant" by Hellscrag

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 13/10/2014 - "Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant" by Hellscrag

Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014, 23:55

Map Title: Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant
Author: Mike "Hellscrag" Wilberforce
Filename: Vacillations.unr
Music Files: None

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U98lWJj6RE

Synopsis: In an oppressive warehouse district somewhere in an old Victorian city, a homeless man awakes in the derelict tenement he has sheltered in for the night. Deciding to make a move before he is discovered, he finds himself locked into the dismal street. Strange noises emanate from a cathedral-like factory. What's to be done?

Discuss!

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: 13/10/2014 - "Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant" by Hellscrag

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014, 01:52

Simply one of the most impressive, authentic reconstructions of a real world architectural style ever seen in this engine. The gameplay is pretty good too, and the story is hilarious. Need to give this one a replay!

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014, 06:38

It may be useful to fix the downloads here
"No route found for "GET /files/maps/SP-Vacillations120.zip""

NaPaliShore
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014, 10:45

Dr.Flay wrote:It may be useful to fix the downloads here
"No route found for "GET /files/maps/SP-Vacillations120.zip""

If you insert "/legacy" into the path of the download link given in the review, then the link works:
http://www.unrealsp.org/legacy/files/maps/SP-Vacillations120.zip

This works for a lot of the broken links from the old site.

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014, 15:52

I need to try to give this one its due and actually finish it. I've never been a fan of wondering around in dark rooms using the dispersion pistol as light while being attacked by skaarj in the dark. I just don't see how it's fun.

Maybe it's much better once I get past that section, or maybe I need to use my brain more. I do very much like the build and the look of the map though.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014, 18:56

The video makes it look a lot easier than it really is.
But that's one of the strong aspects of VVV : the gradual rise in difficulty coupled with the increase in firepower.
A perfect map were it not for the Warlords (although it's been some time since I've played it and perhaps now I might be able to handle them on Hard (I doubt it).
Concerning the architecture ... I'm almost speechless; I can't remember any other map coming near to this in terms of creating a realistic old town.
Oh, I almost forgot - the most surprising sound effect ever in an Unreal map (you'll know when you hear it) \o/

And if you don't know who the author of the map is ... the dock and water should be a dead giveaway ;-)

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014, 19:03

Seems my old comments are still there:

Mman wrote:As I said at the time it's my favourite of the first speedmapping contest maps (although Waffnuffly's finished version of The Last Fortress may have edged it out now, but that wasn't done at the time); it manages to pull off a unique theme with a fitting story included, and the gameplay relies on less-used items and weapons that makes it original and challenging on higher settings.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014, 00:13

Doublez-Down wrote:I need to try to give this one its due and actually finish it. I've never been a fan of wondering around in dark rooms using the dispersion pistol as light while being attacked by skaarj in the dark. I just don't see how it's fun.

Maybe it's much better once I get past that section, or maybe I need to use my brain more. I do very much like the build and the look of the map though.

I never found any of it particularly dark. Do you keep your brightness super low in UT?

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014, 00:28

I'll have to go back and play it again. Maybe there was just outdoor light coming through the window or something. It doesn't seem nearly as dark in the video Mman posted...
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014, 11:57

Doublez-Down wrote:I'll have to go back and play it again. Maybe there was just outdoor light coming through the window or something. It doesn't seem nearly as dark in the video Mman posted...

I find that most of the videos posted seem darker than the way I play it. The only parts which were really dark were the cellar part( (where flares are handy, but don't use them all), and the lower room with a switch (there you really need some light because of the Skaarj).

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014, 15:48

I played through it again yesterday, and it was much brighter than I remember. I must've had something set wrong before or maybe my computer was in a brighter room at the time, as I've since moved.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014, 20:03

salsaSkaarj wrote:VVV will give you Very Valuable Vibes

You should have quoted your post from the last time this map appeared in Map Of The Week, it was a nice homage ;)

Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant is an awesome single player map that stands out as being both very well made and unique. It's true that the level of polish makes this release look like a professional product. And in a way you feel like you're in a new game, too!
It did kind of remind me of Illhaven when I first started to play the level, but after a while it didn't remind me of that classic mappack anymore. The Victorian theme here takes over completely.
The atmosphere is, to me, the best aspect of this map. It is a great achievement that the author was able to have a pretty humorous storytelling while maintaining a seriously spooky mood.
"That's a queer device... looks like some kind o' musket..."
I felt excited as I moved on and the tension builds up even after hell breaks loose during that defining moment at the docks! The moment the atmosphere of this map reaches its logical conclusion for me is inside the sewers: man I freaked out in there! And I even got a fright during my second playthrough just yesterday! Damn pupae and... bloblets! The latter surprised me by attacking me even as I was retreating on the ladder! :B But I was expecting the Slith the second time round ;)
And then there's that final involving the Infernal Machine... very good, very stressful gameplay! I always sort of go into panick mode despite myself, if my second playthrough is any indication. Ha! You run away from the Skaarj by crossing that precarious bridge of planks high above the ground only to find yourself ambushed by pupae! All in all, this is quite a hard map and even on my second playthrough I died once during the final fight (damn SkaarjAngelCommander!).
About that Infernal Machine: great design, and it is such a pleasure to be able to see it in full motion without suffering any framerate drops (thanks to my new rig)!
On my first playthrough, this map also appeared to be a rather long one as it took me over an hour to complete it; evidently (and apart from the fact that I died a few times the first time round), as I have already stated, I enjoy taking my time in order to immerse myself in the game. My second playthrough took about three quarters of an hour as I mostly already knew the level but I still applied the same "roleplaying" approach.
And yes I found all the DP upgrades :)
"Premium Gut Rot" ale is an excellent touch!
Hellscrag's classic docks touch...
The foghorn moment...
The dark, foreboding feel of the Victorian setting...

Hellscrag's best map as of now. The one that made me consider that he had joined the "leet" designers, if you'll pardon the expression!

Cheers folks!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014, 20:11

Sat42 and Waff, you are making me blush. :oops:

I still like this one, though. I think it achieved exactly what I set out to achieve. Parts of the map are a bit unadorned, but then it was a speedmap, and who said the interiors of Victorian warehouses were ever beautiful anyway? I'm glad modern rigs are allowing players to experience the last area without the slowdowns, which are actually caused by the dynamic lights I used rather than the movers.

This may be my best released single player map (or that may be Triskaden Station). In my opinion, though, my greatest works in terms of scale and architecture remain unreleased in the archives of Unreal: Battle for Na Pali: The snowy home town; the imposing, gloomy coastal fortress; and the ornate, very vertical interior of the Temple of the Mind.
Last edited by Hellscrag on 16 Oct 2014, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014, 20:28

My pleasure :)

Triskaden Station is the second greatest map that you released IMO.

I am confident that we shall one day see the fruits of your work originally meant for Unreal: Battle for Na Pali :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014, 21:15

Triskaden Station is definitely your best released map, no contest for me.

Also I don't know how that mistake in the review popped up at the beginning of the 2nd paragraph. Probably wanted to say that it was unveiled as just "VVV" only.
ImageImage

Next