A random sentence for a random mind.

03/11/2014 - "Ground Base 1" by Kevin "Waffnuffly" Letz

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 03/11/2014 - "Ground Base 1" by Kevin "Waffnuffly" Letz

Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014, 13:33

Map Title: Ground Base 1
Author: Kevin "Waffnuffly" Letz
Filename: Attacked2.unr
Music Files: Fourth.umx, Hub2.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk9J3DRN3PA

Synopsis: Ground Zero 1 isn't a friendly territory AT ALL.

Discuss!

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 03/11/2014 - "Ground Base 1" by Kevin "Waffnuffly" Letz

Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014, 02:52

WebM's aren't needed anymore as Youtube now supports 60FPS if you load the videos in HD. It only works on Chrome for now, but I guess that'll change, and WebM is also limited to certain browsers.

Edit: Actually it apparently works with IE and some other browsers too.

A nice intro to Waffnuffly's base style, with lots of cool vehicles and other small touches. The Pupae are fun to kill in groups and gameplay is enjoyable, if simple. Short but a good start to the main part of the pack after the spaceship theme in the intro level.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014, 11:27

This map is cool. I remember trying to figure out if there were any secrets because this mappack had a lot of strange things. Turns out the tunnel just contained a joke translator message.
That was like, years ago, I was very attached to Attacked! and would have really wished to talk to Waffnuffly about my (now old) experiences with it.
ImageImage

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014, 15:37

Great stuff, especially for when it was released. I've used this map pack several for figuring out how to do certain things, such as interpolation points and other scripted events.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014, 23:14

UBerserker wrote:This map is cool. I remember trying to figure out if there were any secrets because this mappack had a lot of strange things. Turns out the tunnel just contained a joke translator message.

I'l have to play this again, I can't remember any secret tunnel (at least not in this map).

Anyway, when I first played this (on Medium), it was bloody hard for me. Nowadays I play this map (and the first map) on Unreal, but it takes so long that I have never finished the whole mapppack on Unreal.
At the time I didn't know who Whack , euhh Waff' was, but now I can appreciate this map even more having seen the evolution and realising that this mappack was his "earlier" work. What impressed me the most was the tank suddenly shooting (it still makes me jump), but also the Skaarj coming from the hangars (that's were I learned that using up all my rifle bullets is NOT a good idea).

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014, 01:09

OK this is my last chance to comment on this map! I'm off on a trip tomorrow!

Ground Base 1 is a great transition map: it's full of Waffnuffly's original take on vehicles and devices. And always, scripted events. Even in a short - and frankly only medium in difficulty, when you play on medium - map like this, he crams in cool new stuff. I like the satellite dish! The "spiders" were also a nice touch.
The tank that shoots is cool, but when I first played this, I also had to deal with Skaarj, so I only half registered who was shooting what and at the end of the day, the one tank that made me jump was in the third (and actually long) map - it actually shoots you.
If I had to be nitpicky, I'd say the music changes a bit too much over the course of such a short level - at least, it ends with the most fitting track.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.